It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

munchiedoodle HB User
Please, need advice!!

Hi everyone.

A couple weeks ago I went to my scheduled doctors appt. and they took my blood( I see my doctor every month and she always takes blood). Well I called for the results yesterday and the nurse said my blood was good, just my glucose(non-fasting), was just a bit high, it was 137. The nurse was not too concerned since it was the first time it was ever a bit high. The odd thing is, I remember the day the took the blood. I ate breakfast that day at like 7:30 am. My appt. when they took the blood was at 1:00. I did not eat anything since breakfast, so I thought 137 was a bit high for not haven eaten for 5 and hlaf hours. Nurse was not too excited. She just said that when I come next they will do a more comprehensive blood test, I do not remember the name, but it checks the blood how it has been for the last 3 months.

Well last night I went out and purchased one of those cheaper meters for $15 just to see. I randomly checked my blood like 2 and half hours after I had eaten dinner, and like 1 hour after I ate a box of raisins. My blood glucose was at 94 which I think is normal. I then tested it in the morning after I had not eaten for 7 hours. It was at 96( I think this is normal, not sure).
Then I tested myself 2 hours after I ate breakfast and it was 100. This is where is gets weird. Well I tested again before lunch( I had not eaten since breafast which was at 8:30am), now it was 12:50pm and it was 68! This seems really low, is this normal? I even called the nurse at my doctors office back and she said everyone processes their carbs and foods at different rates and that this is probably normal. Again they are going to do that other more accurate blood test that ckecks the blood sugars over 3 months.

I am a little worried. My grandmothers one sister and 3 of her brothers all got type2 diabetes. They were all over 50 when they got it. I am 38. My son has pre-diabetes( he has had it since he was 8, now he is 21 and it has not changed from what I know, and he eats ALL kinds of crap and junk and is overweight, not healthy, but cant tell a kid his age what to do). My brother also said he had an elevated random blood sugar once when they tested him at his work clinic. They did not even seem concerned, they said only a fasting test is more accurate. My mother and Father do Not have any diabetes.

Just curious if these blood sugar levels are concerning??? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
(female)

Momof4Men HB UserMomof4Men HB User
Re: Please, need advice!!

You are in the normal range, and yes, everyone processes differently. I would A)not panic and B)just wait until you go to the doctor. The three-month weighted average test she is talking about is an A1C test. You are buying yourself stress that you don't need.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

munchiedoodle HB User
Re: Please, need advice!!

Thanks for the reply. I went today to get that A1C blood test at my doctors office. I will wait and see what the results are. Thanks again for replying.

Reply Reply