It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

truckerbabe HB User
new to this site

Hi everyone, i just found this site and am a new member, trying to get help info as i am diabetic type 2 and having some problems keeping my numbers down. etc.
came here for support and ideas etc.

and help with weight loss also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
(female)

Momof4Men HB UserMomof4Men HB User
Re: new to this site

Hi - welcome! I am also newly diagnosed Type 2.

#1thing to do - GET EDUCATED!! I would start with the American Diabetes Association website. You can get a ton of info, plus find a diabetes educator in your area. Check you local hospital, too - you may be able to find support groups, education opportunities, etc. They and an educator will be able to direct you to meal planning guidelines and weight loss help. I found the ADA's Complete Diabetes Manual extremely helpful - most libraries cover it, and it is available at the ADA site and Amazon.

Bless you on your journey!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

truckerbabe HB User

hi momof4men, thanks for your welcome and reply, yes i do need to find a support group, and yes ive heard of the American diabetes association, guess i need to look into more of that kind of thing.
ive heard also that cinnomin helps also...guess i need to start taking that etc.
also.
and start an exersizing regimin, even if its just walking etc.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-26-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
(male)

barstack01 HB User

Welcome aboard!

Make sure you get educated and always follow your doctor. This forum should be helpful. I myself have been diagnosed 5 years ago. I'm a type 2. Have been trawling the internet boards since then. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
(female)

truckerbabe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstack01 View Post
Welcome aboard!

Make sure you get educated and always follow your doctor. This forum should be helpful. I myself have been diagnosed 5 years ago. I'm a type 2. Have been trawling the internet boards since then. Good luck!
thank you, yes well my doc wants to put me on insulin, and i cant do that...as im a truck driver by trade... but not currently working yet... but im fighting trying my damdest to get this stuff under control without insulin...but it seems like a neverending battle.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

There is a saying that goes "eat to your meter". This means that after you eat a known amount of carbohydrate, test 2 hours after and see what your number is. In this way you will learn what foods to limit and what to avoid entirely. This will help tremendously with your glucose levels.

Best of luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cora1003:
truckerbabe (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

WV Lady HB User
Talking Re: new to this site

Welcome to this forum.

I myself have been diagnosed 4 years ago. Notice a foot ulcer shortly after that. Didn't do anything about it at all until it got worse. Had to put on compression stockings but changed to the Venowave after the stockings became so uncomfortable.

Moral of the story is, if you have the opportunity to prevent the complications caused by diabetes as early as possible, do it. You don't want to complicate your condition further.

This is something you might be interested to read - http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/facts-research/research-technology/tech/tb-02-01-1.htm

It appears that they have provisions for commercial drivers taking insulin.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-27-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
(female)

truckerbabe HB User

thank you, yes that is a great idea! i know i dont always check my blood sugar threw out the day like i should... i think sometimes it depresses me and i just dont do it...but i need to start doing it more..
i think i need to start writing down everything i eat... and also test two hours after and write that down too...that way gives me more knowage of what or how much i can or cant eat...that will spike my sugars
well i know my weight has soemthing to do with it too as i need to lose at least 70 lbs or so... minimum
im just taking it one day at a time! thank you for the ecouragement and advice!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
(male)

barstack01 HB User
Smile Re: new to this site

I just went to the site that WV Lady posted. It appears that you can still drive a truck even if you're an insulin user. So I guess your condition wouldn't deter you from doing what you really are capable of doing and hinder you from earning a living as a truck driver.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-28-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I'm currently using the venowave for swelling due to a bypass in my leg. If you have a diabetic foot ulcer and can get your doctor to prescribe it, it is possible that they will send you one for free. This policy may have changed, but I know they were doing this for a while.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
(male)

barstack01 HB User

That's really interesting to hear. I checked their site and it's $500 ('Like' their facebook page and you get $25 off - which basically equates to free shipping).

But for free? I have to find that one out. I checked their videos and they were featured on a Canadian news show. It appears that they are doing a research at a university if it can really indeed help heal wounds caused by diabetes. The old guy featured in the study showed his wounds getting healed. Fiction or fact?

I guess you would be part of this case study if indeed they're giving it for free.

So has the Venowave helped you so far? are using it for diabetes related treatment as well other than the swelling?

Wish WV Lady can see this post and reply back as we have almost the same condition.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I didn't get it for free as I have PTS (post thrombotic syndrome), not a diabetic foot ulcer. I read on another site that talked about it that they would give it for free with docs approval for ulcers. Apparently one of the guys knows the owner. I would contact them and see about this. They are quite responsive. I had a problem with mine (started making loud noises) and they had me send it back and I got a new one.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Truckerbabe, you didn't say if your doctor had tried you on any oral medication yet. I would think that would be the first thing to try if you're a Type 2, which I'm guessing you are. Have you tried metformin or any of the other oral meds?

If you've tried oral meds and still haven't been able to get your numbers down, then you really need to look into using insulin. In fact, now (while you're not yet truck-driving) would be the perfect time to go on insulin and get everything adjusted. It takes a while to get it fine-tuned and yes, it does require frequent testing.

But here's the thing - if you DON'T get your diabetes under control, you won't be driving a truck for long, because eventually you're going to have vision problems, kidney problems, heart problems, neuropathy, etc., etc. And whether you go on insulin or not, you MUST start taking better care of yourself if you want to continue to work at ANY type of profession. Making the time to walk, carrying healthy foods with you to supplement the basics you can get at restaurants, etc., will help you live a much longer and healthier life.

This advice comes from someone who knows what it's like. Although I've never driven a truck, I was a traveling salesperson covering 7 states when I was diagnosed. I got myself an igloo cooler and stocked it with healthy cold-cuts,stuff to make salads and low-fat dressings, plus milk. I also carried lower-carb bread with me and pre-measured cereal in baggies. I had my cereal in the morning before leaving my motel and made either a salad or sandwich for lunch. I also replenished the ice in the cooler each day, and replenished the food supplies from whatever grocery store I was near when needed. The only meal I ate out was dinner, and you're always able to find something that fits into your diet. While working 10 hours a day and traveling overnight 60% of the time, I was still able to keep to my diabetic diet. And for exercise? I used to do laps around the entire motel building every morning before heading off to my next destination.

So it is possible to manage diabetes on the road. It takes a bit more work - sure - but it's well worth it. I've been diabetic for 28 years and have no significant complications.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 09-30-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
(male)

barstack01 HB User

@Cora1003

I came upon a crowdfunding website and yeah the guys at the Venowave are sponsoring individuals who are suffering from leg ulcers with a device using money that was donated by those who believe in the campaign. But those who qualify have to be in dire financial need. Too be honest, I'm not on welfare and I know that someone deserves to be given a unit for free to help with his/her leg ulcers.

So how is the Venowave's performance on your PTS?

@Truckerbabe

What SamQKitty said was right. You may not want to take the necessary tests or meds but you have to do it. It's not only for your own good but to the other people as well you might meet on the road. God forbid that if anything happens to you by not keenly observing your medical condition while driving a truck, you are not only endangering yourelf but your fellow road users as well.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

@Barstack01, I have found it to be helpful. Elevation keeps the swelling down, but the Venowave has helped get it down further from my "baseline". I've been measuring my leg every morning and it's getting better, ,although it's slow.

Reply Reply