It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

Dimplszzz HB User
Question Boyfriend is Type 2 - how can I help him?

My boyfriend has type II diabetes, and is on daily insulin injections. He has really crappy insurance, too.

He currently has a sinus infection, and I got it. So, I went to my doctor (I have excellent insurance) and got a prescription for Doxycycline (100mg) 2x/day.

Knowing that my boyfriend has the infection too, and can't get to the doc for at least 3 weeks (toldja, bad insurance) - I got a double prescription, checked online to be sure it wouldn't kill him - and gave him half. He took his first pill last night, and this morning his sugars went down to 34. He got it under control with juice, and is ok now.

I have a zillion questions, but first and foremost: Does anyone know how to prevent another episode? He took his injection this morning, had a pot of coffee, and didn't eat yet. Usually, if he eats breakfast within 2 hours of his insulin, he's ok. Today that was not the case; it was almost immediate.

Does anyone know about the effects of taking antibiotics while on insulin, and have suggestions?

Please don't tell me to have him check with his doctor, we don't have 3 weeks...

Thanks!!!

(we'll be working on that insurance issue in the near future, you can bet on that)

Old 09-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Boyfriend is Type 2 - how can I help him?

I always found that when I had an infection, my blood sugars were really erratic. Unfortunately, I know it's expensive, he will need to test more than usual. Also, even just the one antibiotic could have hit the infection somewhat and helped lower his glucose. I don't know if antibiotics will raise/lower your sugars. They never did with me.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply