It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
(male)

db52993 HB User
Fasting Blood Sugar

About 5 months ago, I went to a doctor for routine visit. My blood results came back with very high cholesterol (400), triglycerides (500), A1C (over 11.0),Fasting Blood Glucose (over 200). Basically, I was in bad shape.

My doctor prescribe me Crestor and Glimeperide. I purchase a blood glucose monitor at the pharmacy to test my fasting blood sugar (FBS) in the morning. Anyway, its been a couple of months now since starting taking those medications. I dont know where my Cholestorol is, but I will be taking a blood test in a few weeks for that. However, even when taking Glimeperide, I can never get my FBS to the range that my doctor said is acceptable, that is less than 130. My FBS ranges are from about 150 - 170 in the morning.

Anyway to make a long story short, I wasnt feeling good yesterday (worn down, tired), and had only a small cup of soup at around 6:30pm and nothing for the rest of the night. I woke up in the morning and felt very irritable, sweating and hungary, but wanted to test my FBS. To my suprise my FBS was 140, the lowest its ever been.

Now 140 is better than where it has been and a record for myself. I have read that with low blood sugar one can get irritable and sweats, etc. I guess what I dont understand is... if my blood sugar is supposely going to the range that is acceptable, why did I feel that way I did? I would understand if my FBS was 80, but if my FBS is getting to normal levels, i would think I would not feel hypoglycemia symptoms. It seems that my low blood sugar symptoms is at a higher range.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Fasting Blood Sugar

An a1c of 11 means an average glucose level of 269. This is pretty high and it is very common to feel low at a more normal number when you have become accustomed to being much higher. The good news is that this goes away once you spend more time at more normal blood sugars. It may take a bit of time though. This is why it's so important to test.

On a side note, have you cut out carbs from your diet? This is also very helpful in bringing numbers down. Cutting out anything "white" like rice, pasta, bread, potato, will make a very big difference.

Best of luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
(male)

db52993 HB User
Re: Fasting Blood Sugar

I have made drastic changes in my diet. I used to have a sugary snack (cake, icecream) in the evening, not to mention in the late afternoons after lunch. That was hard to do and I definitely felt withdrawals when I cut them out.

Now I eat oatmeal in the morning, which some say has carbohydrates (bad for diabetes), but I was hoping it does help my cholesterol levels. I eat whole grain pasta and brown rice.

My biggest problem I would say is I dont get enough excercise. You see, I have a sit down job and hardly get up and move around. Im trying to force myself to walk during lunch, but sometimes it is hard (hard meaning.. I dont have the time, not physically) to do.

I will continue to do what I am doing. Like I said 140 is going in the right direction and hopefully the symptoms that I felt will go away with time.

Thanks

Reply Reply

Tags
cholesterol, fasting blood sugar, hypoglycemia