HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/)
-   -   Type 2 Concerns (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/922550-concerns.html)

89bri 10-11-2012 12:05 AM

Concerns

Hello everyone, this is my first post so please bare with me. I was diagnosed Type 2 in August 2010. I have since been put on Metformin (1000 mg 2x Daily). Ever since being diagnosed my eating habits have changed (I saw a Diabetic nutritionist) and have been exercising daily. I have lost over 75lbs since being diagnosed. Well for the last 6 months or so my blood sugar has been out of control for me. Whenever I eat, no matter what it is, my BGL shoots up to anywhere between 180-280's. Then I experience a fast crash and no matter what I do I have to fall asleep. I also experience my feet going numb. My doctor doesn't seem to listen though because my fasting BGL and A1C come back great. My last blood test last month had my fasting at 83 and my A1C at 5.3%.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Also I was thinking of talking to my doctor about adding something like Victoza or Byetta to my medications/diet/exercise. Does anyone have any opinions about this?

Cora1003 10-11-2012 06:17 AM

Re: Concerns

Congratulations on the weight loss. That is great. It sounds like you have a bit of reactive hypoglycemia and this is evening out your a1c. You might try cutting back on the carbs a bit at meals. This will help prevent the spike and the subsequent sleepiness. The trick is to eat to your meter. After a known carb meal, test at the 2 hour mark and see what your sugar level is. If it is high you will know what needs to be limited or eliminated.

89bri 10-11-2012 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=Cora1003;5070583]Congratulations on the weight loss. That is great. It sounds like you have a bit of reactive hypoglycemia and this is evening out your a1c. You might try cutting back on the carbs a bit at meals. This will help prevent the spike and the subsequent sleepiness. The trick is to eat to your meter. After a known carb meal, test at the 2 hour mark and see what your sugar level is. If it is high you will know what needs to be limited or eliminated.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing though, I don't eat many carbs. I usually don't even hit 3 carb servings in a meal because of my blood sugar and I don't know what to do about it. The nutritionist I saw gave me lists of things that are good to eat when you have diabetes and things to avoid/limit and I've been following that but its as if its not helping. :(

Cora1003 10-11-2012 05:46 PM

3 carb servings (45 grams of carb) is considered among diabetics to be an awful lot of carb. I was on a moderately low carb diet (about 100 g, or about 6 or 7 "servings" per day) and many folks with type 2 eat as little as 20 or 30 grams (2 "servings") per day. They do this to keep their numbers down. Your meter is the best guide to what you can eat. Many dietitians still follow the outdated notion that you need lots of carb. And this often leads to extra medication or insulin.