It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Perfumed Fan HB User
How long does it take diabetes to cause kidney damage?

I was diagnosed as type 2 in May of this year. The doctor estimates I've been diabetic for two years. A few days ago he did a urinalysis(for a UTI) and he said there was a little bit of protein in my urine. Can diabetes cause kidney damage this fast or is his estimate off?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: How long does it take diabetes to cause kidney damage?

There is no way to estimate when (or even if) it's going to happen. If you had a uti, the protein could be from that.

Tight control could decrease the protein if it is diabetes related.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (10-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Yep...lots of other circumstances can cause protein in the urine. It's not as much of a concern if it's in the micro stage (as it sounds like yours is.) I've had microalbuminuria a few times over the past many years, and my kidney function is still fine after 28 years with diabetes.

However, don't let this information lull you into thinking you don't have to be really strict about managing your diabetes. The better you manage, the lower the chances are of developing all kinds of complications from D.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 10-11-2012 at 10:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would not be too worried about one episode of protein in urine. Most diabetics don't develop any kidney issues for 15-20 years after diagnosis, and that can often be prevented by keeping good control of blood sugars. UTI can cause protein as well as left over semen getting into the urine. Just ask to have it checked periodically so you know if anything is changing. It is good incentive to keep blood sugars well controlled, not just for your kidneys but to prevent all the complications diabetes can cause.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (10-12-2012)
Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
(male)

heathcliff1000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
Yep...lots of other circumstances can cause protein in the urine. It's not as much of a concern if it's in the micro stage (as it sounds like yours is.) I've had microalbuminuria a few times over the past many years, and my kidney function is still fine after 28 years with diabetes.

However, don't let this information lull you into thinking you don't have to be really strict about managing your diabetes. The better you manage, the lower the chances are of developing all kinds of complications from D.

Ruth
Hello SamQKitty, You mentioned that you had microalbuminuria in the past. May I know the Urine Albumin/Creatinine levels that you had at that time? How did you reduce it?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Sorry, Heathcliff, but I just don't have that information any more...if I ever had it. The microalbuminuria was over ten years ago. And the only thing I've done, ever, is to keep very tight control over my diabetes.

Ruth

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
(male)

heathcliff1000 HB User

Thanks SamQKitty. Does hypertension have any impact on kidney?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, hypertension can affect the kidneys over time. Conversely, kidney problems can actually CAUSE hypertension. If you're under 40 with hypertension, your kidneys should be checked out thoroughly to make sure it's not a kidney problem causing the hypertension. But if you're much older, especially around the 50's and 60's, many people develop primary hypertension...it's just the arteries getting older and stiffer. The way to prevent that is healthy eating, exercise, and good control of blood sugar.

Ruth

Old 09-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
(male)

heathcliff1000 HB User

Thanks, SamQKitty. Is it advisable to take medication for what they call as pre-hypertension (120/80 to 130/90)

Old 09-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I wouldn't medicate at prehypertensive levels, but I would modify my diet to reduce salt, cholesterol, and reduce weight if at all overweight. Of course exercise regularly and no smoking. Magnesium also helps to relax blood vessel walls, 400mg/day.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
(male)

heathcliff1000 HB User

Thanks, Ladybud.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ditto what Ladybug said!

Ruth

Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
(male)

heathcliff1000 HB User

Hi

Is it not advisable to take medication for pre-hypertension even in the presence of diabetes?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathcliff1000 View Post
Hi

Is it not advisable to take medication for pre-hypertension even in the presence of diabetes?
Every case is different. I was put on an ACE inhibitor (kidney protective class of drugs) when I already had kidney disease and mild hypertension. I credit this drug to giving me close to 20 years pre-dialysis, rather than the predicted 5. The better the bp control in the presence of existing kidney issues, the better the kidneys will fair. That has been my own experience anyway.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
(male)

heathcliff1000 HB User

Hi Cora, How did they predict 5 years? Is there any technique for that?

Reply Reply