It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

Dreamzcatcher5 HB User
new diagnosis

Was newly diagnosed with type 2 one week ago. My fasting level was 19.1. I was put on metformin and given a machine to test daily. I am slowly bringing it down and this morning my reading was 14.6. I know it will take a bit for the meds and diet to bring it down. I have cut almost all sugars out, guilty of adding one teaspoon to my one coffee in the morning and one tea at night, and hope to get to the point of cutting that out too. I changed to unsweetened iced tea, or water. I cut down on all my carbs, and no starches- no bread, potatoes, etc. With it now falling I am feeling better- no extreme thirst, bathroom runs, and my vision has lots all the blurriness. I am feeling like I have a low grade flu- and wondering if it could be my body adjusting to the new levels. I only have a slight headache from the meds and hope that goes away in time. I am trying to get a handle on this and have been reading the web to learn what I can. I still have my bouts of " OK- I can deal with this" to " this was just a fluke reading and it will go away". I know it will not and I am being responsible about it. Bedtime is the worst as I lay there in tears with my mind running full tilt, knowing this is going to take work and life long adjusting, but I will get through it. I already deal with clinical depression, IBS, and acid reflux, so it was just another thing to add to my health list. It does get easier over time to deal with, right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
Re: new diagnosis

It sounds like you're doing a great job of making adjustments to your diet. But you don't have to cut out ALL carbs. In fact, your body really needs them - you just need to make sure you balance them throughout the day. My diabetes instructor says we need a minimum of 150 grams of carbs/day (30-45 gms/meal and 15-30 gms/snack), but make sure they're highly nutritious carbs and not from junk foods.

It will get better with time. I was diagnosed a year ago and went through the same exact feelings. I was convinced the testing was all a fluke and expected to have normal A1c readings at my next appt. Didn't happen.

About the low grade flu - you might be experiencing what I've been experiencing the last year. I pick up every little cold or sniffle that goes around. I've had a cold or flu 3 times in the last 2 months. My doctor said she can't explain why I keep picking them up, especially since I've had the flu shot, but that my immune system isn't in balance right now. It's trying to deal with the diabetes and probably doesn't have enough of what it takes to stave off other infections.

I suggest that you find a support/education group in your area to keep yourself up to date on the latest diabetes news and just to know you're not alone in this. I go to a group that meets once a month and it's the most valuable component of my diabetes care plan. And don't hold anything back from your doctor - ask any and all questions, let him/her know about any changes you're experiencing.

Hang in there! You're doing great!

Reply Reply