It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
(male)

ttwarrior1 HB Userttwarrior1 HB User
Do i have to use my prescription for strips?

Is this cheaper than buying strips online or at wal mart

It says on prescription

count 50

Contour Diabetic Test strips w/ test q am lancels

Any idea how much that would cost and why do some online cost over 100 bucks and some around 40

Doc wants me to keep a log and then come back in 3 weeks. Nurse showed me how to do it but i only see about 10 needle things in the Contour box.

I don't even know how to use them

Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Do i have to use my prescription for strips?

You do have to use test strips that are compatible with your particular meter. For example, you can't use One Touch test strips with a Countour or a Freestyle meter. But within a specific test strip (i.e., Contour), if you can find them cheaper, go for it!

The nurse should have explained things better to you, and there should be instructions in the box your meter came in. If that's not the case, then call your doctor back and ask for more information.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
(female)

lorileamc HB Userlorileamc HB Userlorileamc HB Userlorileamc HB User

I think your doctor should be sending you to a diabetic educator to teach you how to use your glucometer. If not, you should call the nurse and ask her for more time to teach you the basics of diabetes. Keep asking questions!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
(female)

Logray HB User

Check with your insurance and your pharmacy!

My doctor wrote my Rx for the strips and she apparently didn't word it correctly. The insurance company charged me a double co-pay to get the amount she wrote it for. I was charged $52 for 50 strips. I called both my insurance company and my mail order pharmacy because I was livid. The insurance company told me what my highest coverage amount would be - 200 strips per month. I called the mail order pharmacy to ask how to get my doctor to write it correctly to get the max amount without being swindled like I was this month. I communicated that information back to my doctor. I will now get a 3 month supply of 600 strips for only $60 (10-cents each). Quite a difference from the $1.04 each I paid this month!!

Reply Reply