It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

jilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB User
My Type 1 teen is struggling with her disease - What can I do?

My 15 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 13. It's only been just short of 2 years now and I caught her skipping her insulin shots after meals. She had high keytones and while investigating her numbers, I could tell she skipped some shots. When I confronted her, she broke down and confessed that she is sick of dealing with it, sick of poking herself, and said that we always praise her for being so strong, that she is really falling apart inside but doesn't want us to know because she doesn't want to let us down. We do have a couselor that we hired that she can speak to when she wants to talk. She doesn't want to a this point because "it's not like they can take away my diabetes".

I hate seeing her struggle like this, and I'm worried about the fact that she is already sick of her disease, and she still has her whole life ahead of her to deal with it.

Any suggestions on how I can be here for her and how to talk to her? I feel so helpless.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
(female)

California Ann HB User
Re: My Type 1 teen is struggling with her disease - What can I do?

It is so hard when we are dealing with our children. Is she a cantidate for a pump? I know nothing about them but it might be worth looking into.
Good luck,
Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I was a diabetic teen and it was hard. My parents helped tremendously by taking a significant amount of the burden off my shoulders. When I was a little kid, my Mom asked the doc how soon should I be doing my own injections (I was dxd at age 2 in 1966) and the doc told her that Mom should keep doing it until I wanted to. I would have to do it for a very long time and the longer Mom could take care of me, the better.

I agree that a pump takes away a lot of shots (1 shot every 3 days instead of multiples each day), but it does require a lot of work and testing. Can you give her the shots sometimes? Mom or Dad still jabs me once in a while when I am sick and don't want to do it myself. I feel so loved and taken care of when they do on rare occasions. Also, to show some solidarity, you could ***** your own finger (get your own lancing device) when she does hers. She won't feel so isolated. I know of a few parents who do this so their kids don't feel so alone. Work with her on her carb counting and calculations. Do it and then ask her if she thinks you are right. Be an active participant with her,

Diabetes is an adult responsibility that many adults are not able to handle. Imagine still being a kid. I agree that she needs to know how to do it (school, trips, sleepovers), but she is not an adult and shouldn't be expected to bear the responsibilities of one.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask me some questions.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

jilas, is there any update on your daughter? I'm curious as to how she's doing now.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

Liongirl01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92261 View Post
jilas, is there any update on your daughter? I'm curious as to how she's doing now.
I know how she feels because i have only been dealing with it for 3 months and i am already sick of it )))))): everyone thinks that im doing so good with it but im not , i have been so depressed about it i cry almost every night. its just very hard to deal with & i have celiac disease too but diabetes is worse. I started doing it by myself after like 2 weeks but now my mom does it almost all the time cus i hate dealing with it. i hate having diabetes. im scared when i grow up i will go blind or have to have my leg chopped off or something.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
(female)

Azurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liongirl01 View Post
I know how she feels because i have only been dealing with it for 3 months and i am already sick of it )))))): everyone thinks that im doing so good with it but im not , i have been so depressed about it i cry almost every night. its just very hard to deal with & i have celiac disease too but diabetes is worse. I started doing it by myself after like 2 weeks but now my mom does it almost all the time cus i hate dealing with it. i hate having diabetes. im scared when i grow up i will go blind or have to have my leg chopped off or something.
I know of some type 1 diabetics who have lived with diabetes for 50+ years and have all of their limbs, eyesight, and are very healthy. They were diagnosed before the days of blood glucose meters and when they only had urine testing which wasn't as accurate. The insulins available then also weren't as good as what's available now.

If they managed to avoid major complications, you definitely can too! It's normal to be depressed at first, but hopefully you can find others with type 1 to talk to for support.

Last edited by Azurah; 03-31-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Reply Reply

« Kombiglyze XR | A1c »