It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
(female)

Logray HB User
high fasting number - what to do?

Hi everyone!

I was dx with PCOS about 10 years ago, and then had GD when pregnant 3 years ago. I've been on Metformin (1000 mg) since the PCOS dx. I was told it was only a matter of time that I'd be dx as a Type 2 diabetic. That happened about a week ago.

I've been tracking my glucose levels this week. My educator told me that my meals are perfect. What I'm doing throughout the day is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm exercising. I take my sugar level before the meal and again 2 hours later. At that point, the sugar level is either the same or lower than where it was before I ate. My problem is that no matter what I do, my fasting number in the morning has been between 160 - 175.

I've been doing some of the "tricks" I was told during pregnancy, like eating a piece of turkey and walking up and down the stairs before bed. Nothing is helping. I'm also on glyburide, but was told it was a relatively low dose. I take this with dinner because it makes me too dizzy to drive to work in the morning if I take it with breakfast.

I don't see my primary care doctor again for 2 months for my next checkup. I am having my thyroid checked this week as well.

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks so much!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: high fasting number - what to do?

It sounds like you may be insulin resistant. If you're taking metformin and you still can't get the insulin to work right, then you may need to take additional insulin on top of the metformin to get the sugars lowered.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
(male)

Admirer HB User

I have a similar problem. I have been able to have a near normal post meal blood glucose leveil of between 9 to 11 (165 to 200) however my fasting blood sugar is high (between 13 to 145) no matter what I do. I read that cinnamon and Apple cider vinegar brings down fasting blood sugar. Well it didn't work on me (in fact I get higher morning readings after consuming ACV) but you can try as they say it will bring dowm the morning level between 4% to 6%.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
(female)

breakingreality HB User

I sometimes have an issue with fasting sugars being higher than before I go to bed. I was reading an article that said high fasting sugars are often because your liver will sugar dump into your system and your pancreas can't keep up with enough insulin production to match the sugar dump. The article said to have a snack with protein and a low-releasing carb before bed. I haven't had consistently high sugar levels in the morning, so I haven't asked the dr. about it.

Do you mind if I ask what your meal plan looks like that your educator says is perfect? My dr. has me checking my sugars twice a day at different times, but doesn't have me checking it before and after a meal to test for how meals are doing. I am getting completely inconsistent sugars during the day ranging from 116 to 220 in the past week. I eat 45-60g of carbs per meal (or less, especially at breakfast time) and I'm curious what others meal plans look like.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
(male)

Admirer HB User

I eat twice a day. For breakfast I have about 80 to 100 grams of carbs and for supper (aroung 5:00 pm) about 120 to 150 grams of carbs. Little or no snacks in between (likely 20 to 50 grams at most). My post meal BG is not that bad (around 180 to 200) but my fasting BG is high (8.0 or 144).

Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Admirer (sorry to hijack the thread a bit Logray), I'm sorry to suggest that the numbers you are getting are pretty high. Many folks with type 2 shoot for less than 5.5 fasting and less than 7.8 two hours after meals. You are eating a great deal of carb (my husband only eats about 150g per day total) and you will probably find that if you cut back on that consumption somewhat, you will see better numbers. You may be overloading your pancreas with the numbers of carbs that you eat. It used to be that some docs suggested 10 as being ok for post meal numbers, but those numbers are tightening up.

Last edited by Cora1003; 03-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
(male)

Admirer HB User

The Canadian Diabetes Association still says a 2 hour post meal of 10 (180) is acceptable and a fasting up to 7 (125) also indicates a fair control. My fasting is a bit high based on those standards but doctors say that at border line readings like mine (at or a bit higher than what Canadian Diabetes Association recommends) will takes several decades to cause real damage (I am diagnosed border line only 2 years ago) by which time I will be dead anyways by old age or natural causes. I do agree that my carb intake is high and I am reluctant to bring it down to live a few more (starving) years longer. I keep on eye on my BG and if in a few years it moved higher than 10 then I may have to start cutting carbs.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I would consider my teaching/research hospital's lab to be closer to what is now considered acceptable than the CDA (or even the ADA which is similar). They feel that up to 6 fasting is acceptable and a random reading is ok up to 8. I wouldn't count on the CDA to have the latest research (they don't have the funds) nor would I necessarily accept a family doctors advice either. Are you seeing an endo and is she/he ok with numbers reaching 200? Personally I would try to shoot for as close to non-diabetic as possible.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
(female)

breakingreality HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
They feel that up to 6 fasting is acceptable and a random reading is ok up to 8.
Can you (or anyone) explain to me what the lower number readings are? The 6 and 8? Are you talking about an A1C? My first test had a 9.9 and I was told that was VERY high (5.6 I think being non-diabetic?). My normal blood test showed a glucose reading of 270 that matched the 9.9 when I was first diagnosed a couple months ago. I do get results in the 200s (only a handful of times since I started testing twice a day) and the doctor has told me not to worry yet, since most of my readings are between 120-160, though I was told it should be under 140, so I'm still frustrated it isn't consistently under that.

I also don't understand what people are saying about a fasting sugar versus 2 hours after meal, I thought those numbers would be similar? My blood sugars are rarely lower after fasting than 2-3 hours after a meal.

You said your husband eats about 150g of carbs per day, does he split it up evenly per meal? My dietitian told me it was important to not eat too many carbs in one sitting, so daily total wasn't as important as per meal (for me, 45-60g for meals and 15g for snacks). Also, they talked about subtracting fiber from the carb total, and subtracting sugar alcohols, and not counting some carbs at all (like peanut butter, broccoli, tomatoes, etc). I don't do any of this just because it feels like cheating or I feel like I will miscalculate something. Does anyone else do this in calculating their carbs?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BreakingReality, the numbers I am quoting are mmol/L. To get to the numbers used in the US (mg/dl), multiply by 18 to get values of about 100 and 140. The lower numbers used are often confused with an a1c which is a percent. But it is just coincidence that the numbers used in a good part of the world are similar in range as an a1c.

As for my hubby, he eats small amounts of carb at a time during the course of the day, including snacks. He likes a small bag of popcorn for in the evening.

Fasting versus post prandial numbers should be around the same number, but it is ok for the post meal number to be somewhat higher. It is used to see how well you process carbs (if you are only on oral meds) or how well your insulin is adjusted if you are on that.

With carb counting, you have to find out what works for you. Some people subtract fiber, and some do not.. It depends on what happens to your blood sugar. Neither one of us use sugar alcohols as they don't agree with us. And yes, definitely count the carbs in peanutbutter if you eat a lot. It actually has a lot of sugar in it if you buy a name brand.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
(female)

breakingreality HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
With carb counting, you have to find out what works for you. Some people subtract fiber, and some do not.. It depends on what happens to your blood sugar. Neither one of us use sugar alcohols as they don't agree with us. And yes, definitely count the carbs in peanutbutter if you eat a lot. It actually has a lot of sugar in it if you buy a name brand.

Hope this helps a bit.
Yes, thank you. I always count my peanut butter because I get one that uses honey so I just count all the carbs. Do the sugar alcohols result in a higher sugar level for you or do they not agree in a different way? I haven't had many foods with sugar alcohols so do not know if it affects my sugar levels.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
(male)

Admirer HB User

It would be very hard to bring down the BG to the new standards which is under 7.8 post prandial and under 5.4 fasting. I have to cut down on carb at least to a third. Needs lots of sacrifices I am not willing to make, so that I live a few years longer. As I mentioned unless BG readings are very high it takes decades to cause serious damage at border line levels. Likely for those already passed 50 it is not worth strict dieting though this is just my opinion and personal choice and I am not a physician of any kind.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
(female)

wonderstruck68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admirer View Post
I eat twice a day. For breakfast I have about 80 to 100 grams of carbs and for supper (aroung 5:00 pm) about 120 to 150 grams of carbs. Little or no snacks in between (likely 20 to 50 grams at most). My post meal BG is not that bad (around 180 to 200) but my fasting BG is high (8.0 or 144).
Aren't you supposed to eat throughout the day to keep your levels consistent? Eating twice a day with no snack in between seems unhealthy, even without diabetes.

Your diet sounds like you carb load the two times a day that you do eat which can't be good.

Also, if the question is quality of life v. quantity of life eating more often but not as much will help you not feel hungry throughout the day.

I eat breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack and dinner. On average my carb intake for the entire day is probably less than 120g total because I have a sit down job which obviously impacts my ability to burn off the extra carbs which will then turn to sugar.

I do not drink soda, coffee or tea. I drink water and fat free milk almost exclusively.

Just seems without a proper diet you're making your body work that much harder and that seems counter productive IMO.

My fasting (morning) BG is usually between 85 and 102 and my before bed BG is between 105 and 130. Obviously I'm questioning my diagnosis of type 2 diabetes but I will say that since the diagnosis I've changed the way I eat and lost a few pounds (only weighed 150 to start) and I feel much better and sleep much better too. Apparently eating like you're diabetic even if you aren't is pretty good for you...

Last edited by wonderstruck68; 03-16-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I am amazed at the amount of carbs people on this board are consuming. I was diagnosed five years ago with a A1c of 6.4. Since then I have kept it below 6.0, often as low as 5.7 with strictly diet and muscle building exercise at the YMCA. I wonder what mine would have been if I ate as many carbs as many on this board.

I have been following the advice given in Dr Berstein's book, eating about 15 gm per meal, plus nearly the same for a couple snacks. So my quota for the day is about 80 gm, though occasionly I may have more than that (eating out or some food I haven't tested for carb count). I don't feel at all deprived. I enjoy my protein, vegetables and green salad, even a bit of pasta, rice or potatoes plus a cookie, small slice of cake or a bit of ice cream as my snack between meals. My doctor says I am in great health and I intend to keep working on it even though I am 77.

Reply Reply