HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/)
-   -   carb question for a diabetes 2 person (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/936570-carb-question-diabetes-2-person.html)

nancy934 01-24-2013 08:24 AM

carb question for a diabetes 2 person

Hi everyone. This is my first post here so hope it is ok I am asking this question in this forum.

I have been diagnosed with Diabetes 2 but the numbers are so low yet that I do not have to take any meds, for which I am very grateful.

I have been to a diabetes educator and a dietician. I thought the educator was great but was not impressed with the educator. I felt that she just gave me the 'routine' answers and didn't really listen to my questions. So I am bringing one of them here.

Everything that I have read gives a specific number for counting carbs but I struggle with this. So much medical information bases their numbers on little 150lb people not on 250lb people. So, with that said, would the carb numbers be different if a person is 6 feet tall and over 250 pounds?

thanks for any help you can give me.

Azurah 01-24-2013 03:01 PM

Re: carb question for a diabetes 2 person

Since everyone is different and their body processes carbs differently, there is no single carb count that works for all type 2 diabetics. Your goal should be to eat the amount of carbs that keeps your numbers in a health range and as close to non-diabetic numbers as possible to prevent diabetic complications. Carb sensitivity is not related to weight, but rather how much insulin your pancreas produces and how insulin resistant you are.

I'm thin, but very insulin resistant, yet there are obese people without insulin resistance who don't have to watch carbs. To figure out how many carbs you can handle, you need to get a meter and start testing your blood sugars after meals. Ideally, you want to avoid spikes over 140mg/dl because there is evidence that blood sugars over 140mg/dl over time cause damage.

In the beginning, it's probably best to test before each meal and at 1hr and 2hr after to see how your body responds to your meal. You'll be able to see how foods affect you and reduce carbs accordingly. Starchy foods like rice, cereals, pasta, bread, and foods made with white flour basically turn into pure sugar in the blood stream and will usually need to be restricted or cut out of your diet.

Some people can only eat 30g of carbs or less to keep their numbers in a healthy range and others can eat 100g or more. The only way to know what your body can handle is to get a meter and test. Once you figure out what foods spike you and what foods are safe, you won't have to test as often. Generally foods like meats, eggs, cheese, nuts, seeds, and green veggies won't raise your blood sugar as much.

nancy934 01-24-2013 04:03 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't know if I have read this information before but it just sunk in. I finally understand! Thank you. I get it now. I will definitely start doing the testings that you said.

breakingreality 02-06-2013 12:45 PM

Did the dietitian give you a specific range of carbs to try to eat at each meal? I was just diagnosed about a month ago and finally met with my dietitian on Monday. She gave me a set amount of carbs (45-60g per meal, 15g for snacks) to aim for and actually went over how to calculate them, as she said that some things that have carbs (like broccoli, for instance), you don't add in. I found that the most confusing.

I did the paleo diet for about a month once I found out I was diabetic which basically involves fruits, veggies, and lean meats. You might be able to find some recipes on that to help you keep your carb count down (but don't cut out everything they say to). When I told the dietitian I was doing paleo, I was told I needed to up my carbs, that I wasn't getting enough and needed to add dairy and grains back into my diet.

Can anyone out there explain that a little better for me? I don't understand how I can eat too little carbs when those are what's going to affect my blood sugar levels. I assume it's all about finding that happy balance between diet, exercise, and medications, but I would think the less carbs you eat, the better.

Azurah 02-06-2013 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=breakingreality;5128999]When I told the dietitian I was doing paleo, I was told I needed to up my carbs, that I wasn't getting enough and needed to add dairy and grains back into my diet.

Can anyone out there explain that a little better for me? I don't understand how I can eat too little carbs when those are what's going to affect my blood sugar levels. I assume it's all about finding that happy balance between diet, exercise, and medications, but I would think the less carbs you eat, the better.[/QUOTE]

This is the exact problem that many of us type 2s have with dieticians. They tell you you NEED so many carbs and it's not good to limit them, but they won't be the ones with the complications of high blood sugars. They say oh no but you NEED so many carbs. Nope...lots of type 2 have been low-carbing it for years with great A1cs, cholesterol levels, trigs, and feel great.

Personally, I rely on my meter and labs to tell me how well my diet is working. I have no use for a dietician. If I followed their advice, I'm almost sure my blood sugars would be out of control!

breakingreality 02-06-2013 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=Azurah;5129063]This is the exact problem that many of us type 2s have with dieticians. They tell you you NEED so many carbs and it's not good to limit them, but they won't be the ones with the complications of high blood sugars. They say oh no but you NEED so many carbs. Nope...lots of type 2 have been low-carbing it for years with great A1cs, cholesterol levels, trigs, and feel great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I only did straight paleo for about a month, but I felt fine, no lack of energy or other issues that would accompany a lack of carbs. Right now I'm just taking the approach of making sure I don't go over the carb limit the dietitian recommended, but not sweat it if I'm still under it. Thanks for the feedback.