It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

LoneStarTx002 HB User
Question Protien in urine!

I have type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed about 15 years ago. Do to life changes about 7 years ago I had stopped taking any medications for my condition. The 1st of Dec. I was bit by a spider and went to the er were they addmitted me and took me right to surgery and released the next day. BS was running in 300s. Infection kept getting worse and a week later went back to surgeon and he addmitted me again for surgery BS this time was 459. This time they kept me for 8 days and put me on insulin and metformin. BS are running normal now. While I was in the hospital I was told By the surgeon and the diabetic dr. that there was no damage done to my kidney. I was set up to go to a clinic a month later. They ran a urine test and told me I had protien in my urine which means I have kidney damage and put me on blood pressure med. (I don't have high blood pressure) The protien count was 30 (+1). I'm really confused about the information and I don't go back to the dr until the middle of March. I'm very frightened and worried from everything I have read it means 1st stage of renial faliure. However I have read a urinary tract infection can cause protien in urine but I haven't read how much and wouldn't they know if I had an infection when they did the urine test? I had been on a low carb diet for a few weeks before and wondering if that could affect the results? Any feed back or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Protien in urine!

Well, first of all, most long-term diabetics will spill some protein in their urine. And I believe a count of 30 is just borderline for Stage 1. But it's also important to note that kidney disease usually progresses very slowly, and if you make a firm commitment to managing your diabetes better from now on, you many never go into actual kidney failure. Managing your diabetes and keeping your numbers very tight is the key to preventing kidney damage.
Ruth

Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

LoneStarTx002 HB User

Thank you so much for the information. I have been very worried about this not knowing the scale for the numbers only that anything over 20 was high. I also didn't know it progresses slowly. My number are very tight now better then they ever have been now that im on insulin. Fasting BS this morning was 80 before even on oral meds it was always in the 200's fasting even when it was in normal range throughout the day. I'm very thankful for the info, thanks again,
Donna

Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Your fasting numbers are excellent, Donna, but are you also testing before each meal and two hours after each meal? That's the only way to tell how you're reacting to food. Also, your A1c will give you a better idea of how you're doing on a minute-to-minute basis. The A1c averages your blood glucose levels 24/7 for the past 8-12 weeks. If you can keep it below 6.5, then you'll have an excellent chance of looking forward to many more healthy years.

I'm so glad to here that you've finally been put on insulin...although it does take a bit more management, it makes it far easier to keep your blood sugar levels down to where they should be.

Keep up the good work!

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 02-06-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
(female)

LoneStarTx002 HB User

Thanks Ruth, Yes I have been testing before and 2 hours after meals and most of the time the numbers are great. Only a couple of times, 2 hours after I ate a meal was it higher then I would like it to be. I am just so impressed with how well the insulin works I wish I had done it sooner. It is very disheartning when you watch everything you eat and still have high numbers. I can't wait for my next A1c. The last one was off the charts "13" this was with no meds tho for several years. They put me on 50 units of lantus and a sliding scale which I have not had to use any of yet. Thank you for the positive feedback it really helps.
Donna

Reply Reply