It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Perfumed Fan HB User
How long does it take diabetic retinopathy to develop

I was diagnosed as type 2 eight months ago. The doctor estimates I've been diabetic about two years. Other than my lifelong nearsightedness my eyes were fine. Six weeks ago the sight in my right eye started failing and now is pretty much gone. I had a thorough eye exam the other day. It's not cataracts or retinal detachment. The left eye is still OK. Can retinopathy develop this fast? Wouldn't it develop in both eyes? Could meds cause it? I'm taking drugs for a blood clot and high blood pressure. The clot is much improved but my glucose and bp are not under control yet. I'm really scared and would appreciate any info anyone could give.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
(female)

Azurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB User
Re: How long does it take diabetic retinopathy to develop

So sorry you're going through this. That must be very frightening! Did your doctor say if there is any way to reverse it?

You must have been running very high numbers for those few years if your diabetes caused it. What are your glucose levels like now? I've heard some people have vision problems when they are bringing their levels down.

The Following User Says Thank You to Azurah For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (02-04-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

What did your doctor say caused the issue? Is it blood in the eye from retinopathy? It is possible for retinopathy to develop quite quickly (especially since you had untreated diabetes for quite a while), but it could be many other things.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Perfumed Fan HB User

The eye doctor said blood is leaking into my eyeball because of weakened blood vessels. But this happened so quickly, just a few weeks. It started after my diabetes doctor put me on losartan for high blood pressure. I've heard a lot of bad things about losartan and eye problems. I think I'll get a second opinion before having the surgery.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

If the eye problems started shortly after you started taking the losartan, perhaps it's the medication that's causing it. Can your doctor put you on something else and stop the losartan? There are so many bp meds on the market now that it seems insane to stay on a medication that may be causing the problem.

After I had a stroke a couple of years ago, my doctor put me on two baby aspirin a day. Well, within a short time, I started having eye hemmorhages, but only in my left eye.. Luckily, they weren't affecting my eyesight, but I was walking around with a black eye all the time. I cut back to one baby aspirin a day and the bleeds stopped. Apparently I've got a weak vessel in the left eye and it can't tolerate too much blood thinner.

Ask your doctor (eye doctor) if you stop the medication and the bleeding stops, would it be possible that your body would eventually just absorb the leaked blood and your eyesight would go back to normal? If so, then that'd be great. Or, you may still need the surgery, but if it were me, I'd want to make sure that it doesn't happen again before I went through all the hassle of eye surgery.

Hope you're able to figure this out and that it can be fixed and future occurrences prevented. Getting a second opinion is a very good idea.

Ruth

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (02-05-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
(female)

LoneStarTx002 HB User

You said you are on meds for a clot as well this is most likely a blood thinner be sure to check with your dr about all the meds you are on. It might not be the bp meds if you are on a blood thinner for the clot. I agree before surgery I would have a second opinion and make sure the meds are not causing the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to LoneStarTx002 For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (02-11-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
(female)

monkeybelly HB User
Red face Re: How long does it take diabetic retinopathy to develop

How are you doing now? Hope you are finding some answers. This is so scary.

I also have high blood pressure and diabetes. While my sugars were never crazy high, my bp has been difficult to control. I developed retinopathy and within six months was almost completely blind. Doctors all concluded that the BP was the reason it developed so quickly. Many surgeries later, I have some vision back in my right eye and my left eye is totally blind.

*oops sorry for duplicate post

Last edited by monkeybelly; 04-18-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
(female)

monkeybelly HB User

How are you doing now? Hope you are finding some answers. This is so scary.

I also have high blood pressure and diabetes. While my sugars were never crazy high, my bp has been difficult to control. I developed retinopathy and within six months was almost completely blind. Doctors all concluded that the BP was the reason it developed so quickly. Many surgeries later, I have some vision back in my right eye and my left eye is totally blind.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hey, Perfumed Fan...did you ever find out what the problem was/is? Did you end up getting a second opinion, and if so, what did they say? I'm hoping this finds you on the road to recovery from this scary incident.

Ruth

Reply Reply