It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

charlibee HB User
Want to understand why pizza is bad for blood sugar

This has too long been something I have not clearly understood, so I'm finally posting a question:

I understand that blood sugar is helped and glycemic is lowered by things that slow down the digestion of carbs...like fiber, acids (pickle etc) and fat.

So why is it that fatty food (deep fried etc) are supposedly things that can lead to diabetes?

For example: I know pizza is horrible for blood sugar control but I don't quite understand yet why -- I mean it would seem that the fat and protein would be benefitial to slowing down the digestion of the crust... however this doesn't seem to be so..??

Is it just fiber and acids that are better at lowering glycemic load of food? I always thought fat was too. But then I get confused by things like deep fried foods and pizza.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Want to understand why pizza is bad for blood sugar

There is a tremendous amount of carb in pizza. That is the source of the problem. The fat and the protein delay the peak of your glucose, but there is a very heavy carb load. Don't forget too that many sauces also contain sugar, so the pizza sauce is also a good source of carb. I did a quick check, and one medium slice of a Domino's pepperoni pizza has 25g of carb. And who can eat only one slice. Have 2 or 3 and that is 50 or 75 g of carb (the equivalent of 3 - 5 slices of bread). That's a lot of stuff that will be broken down into sugar.

Hope this answers your question a bit. It's amazing what is in the food we eat, isn't it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
(female)

charlibee HB User

ah ok. Makes sense.

Why is it that deep fried chicken would be considered something that could lead to diabetes? I mean, you always hear that deep fried food is a problem (obviously it's not healthy), but I don't quite see how this leads to insulin issues.

Is a meal heavy in fat difficult for insulin to manage - I mean, does the major delay screw things up? Is fiber less of an issue because it doesn't delay quite as long?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
(male)

Hawaiiguy HB User

In answer to your question regarding both pizza and fried chicken, both meals are extremely high in fat content. It is not so much a carb issue as it is a fat issue. In order for insulin to be utilized effectively either through injection or continuous infusion such as a pump, you must effectively match the rise in your blood sugar with the utilization of your insulin. Your body will begin to work on digesting the fat first and your glucose will rise much later on as a result of that. Your fast acting insulin you are using to cover your carbohydrates may not be around after that fat digestion is finished. I would suggest seeing a dietician or working with your physician for a dietary referral. You want to maintain as best blood glucose control as possible and higher fat meals will require different utilization and duration of action from your rapid acting insulin in order to cover those carbs effectively. Hopefully you are counting carbs and if not I suggest you start to read labels for both fat and carbohydrate and fiber counts ( fiber depending on how much, should be subtracted from your carb count.) Counting carbs and understanding fat content is absolutely necessary to manage your insulin requirements better.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Everything you've mentioned is applicable to managing diabetes, but I think you may be somewhat confusing the CAUSE of diabetes with how it's managed once you've got it. In that regard, see my reply to your other post.

Ruth

Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

I read an article on the web from one of the top juvenile diabetes organizations. You can google it and read it. I think the name of it was something like 'why does fat make you insulin resistant'. It gave a great explanation of it. Pizza is just the same as Chinese food for us. Some people need to give twice the amount of insulin for these foods to make the insulin work. They both have a lag time for digestion. When you become insulin resistant your body can't use the insulin correctly to allow your cells to get the energy they need from food. I also saw a video on the computer that explained how insulin can make you fat. Look for that as well. Some people I've spoken to don't believe me when I tell them insulin can make you fat. This is a question that is asked when you're preparing to get an insulin pump. They want to know if you don't want it because you're afraid it will make you fat. Insulin is a hormone. When women reach menopause they tend to gain weight because of the mixture of estrogen and insulin and then put on the weight in the belly and hips. The body is preparing for old age and storing fat for the end times. That's why people that have T2 diabetes can usually get their sugars under control by diet and exercise. Exercise is a natural insulin. My son is a T1. Pizza is a treat. It's a nice thing to have at birthday parties or after sports because it matches up with the exercise and keeps him from crashing later on. Whenever a T1 goes low and they need a fast acting sugar to get their sugars stabilized, they are always instructed to give a protein (cheese) to follow the fast acting sugars so that sugar will be slowly absorbed and keep them more stable.

Reply Reply