It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
(male)

ny2125 HB User
frequent urinating

our 5 year old son has had two days of frequent urinating. we noticed both times, he did have glasses of milk and juice. he is not always thirsty. when he pees, it is not a lot, in fact I am beginning to think he is not letting it finish completely. because he will go back in soon and just have dribbles. his bedwetting is actually getting better too.

so I did take him to the dr. and they did a urine sample. negative for UTI and no sugar in his urine. they also did a finger ***** blood sample, and his blood sugar level was 106 (dr. said 105 is the top of range). but this was also a few hours after milk and eating hot dog and bagel. dr. said to just monitor him and did not feel it was diabetes related. no diabetes in either immediate family either.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation with their kids? is it the drinks, overactive bladder, not finishing his urine stream, or what? any info. would be appreciated. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: frequent urinating

NY2125, you're smart to think about diabetes - type 1 - the autoimmune type. Previously known as juvenile diabetes. Do you know the warning signs? Thirsty, frequent urination (sometimes bedwetting) anxiety, hunger, dizziness, tired, shaking, sweating, and deep, heavy, labored breathing. Watch for signs of a virus. When my son was diagnosed I had no clue. He was vomitting and breathing heavy. We just throught it was the flu. Wrong!!!! He was in diabetic ketoacidosis and could have died. His body had attacked his beta cells in the pancreas and his sugars were over 400. His body was using fat for fuel instead of carbs and producing ketones. Ketones are the body burning fat for fuel and urine will become darker yellow. This is a nasty time of year to mistake these symptoms for the flu. They mimick each other. Weight loss is another indicator. If these things happen, go right to the ER and demand a blood sugar test. T1 is an epidemic. What's the cause? No one knows, but I have my theories. These kids today don't build up their immunities like I did when I got the chicken pox and measles. They've eradicated those diseases and created another one. My other theory is chemicals in our foods and the air we breathe and plastics. BPA's. Our wheat supply has changed over the last 50 years and is causing celiac disease, gluten intolerance and inflammation in our bodies and other autoimmune diseases, like lupus. I hope your child never gets this God awful disease. It's not fun, but it's manageable. Technology has come a long way in the treatment for it, but there is still no cure. There's lots of research being done on it and maybe one day there will be a way to get the beta cells to reactivate themselves and turn them back on to produce insulin again. In the meantime, tell your friends not to just think their kid has the flu. Tell them the signs and spread the word and save a life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply