It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

charlibee HB User
does deep fried food lead to diabetes?

I have seen this mentioned from time to time.

Trying to understand why?? I mean I can understand if it's deep fried copious amounts of bread or fries. But why stuff like deep fried chicken?

I just basically get the sense that somehow a high-fat diet can lead to diabetes. Is this a wrong assumption? If it's true, why/how does this happen?

My own thoughts are along the lines of: too much fat in a meal means your blood sugar is still going down all the time it's waiting to finally receive the carbs, which finally eventually get through, causing a larger spike, since you went down more in the process of waiting. Would this be a correct theory? Whereas if you are eating complex carbs with a little fiber and tiny bit of fat, it'd be faster (therefore not allowing your blood sugar to get really low), but not *too* fast, which would also cause a spike. In other words...eating lots of fat with a meal is almost like skipping a meal, because its so delayed in impacting the blood sugar. I hope that makes sense.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: does deep fried food lead to diabetes?

I'm kind of confused about your post. Your title indicates you want to know the cause of diabetes, but what you discuss in your second paragraph is more about how different foods react when you eat, which has less to do with cause and more to do with effect.

Okay, let me see if I can answer both questions. First, no particular food CAUSES diabetes; however, being overweight puts strain on the body's cells and can cause them to become insulin-resistant which, in turn, can lead to Type 2 diabetes (note that Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, and it's cause is totally different.)

As for fat delaying absorption of carbs, yes, that is correct; however, if one is NOT diabetic, it really doesn't matter. And if one is diabetic and not on insulin or taking sulfonylurea medications, it also doesn't matter about the delay in absorption. On the other hand, if you're taking insulin, too much fat means you have to figure out exactly WHEN to take your pre-meal insulin so that you match the timing of the insulin action to when the carbs will start getting absorbed.

If you're not on insulin or oral medication, your blood sugar won't get too low just because your meal contains fat. And even when you're on insulin, you don't usually get too low when you're eating because SOME of the carbs get through right away. The biggest problem for insulin users when eating a high-fat meal is going high several hours later because the carbs are hitting big-time when the insulin has already finished its action.

So, to sum up...a high -fat diet can cause weight gain which can cause insulin resistance which can, eventually, cause Type 2 diabetes. But it's not because of any action of the carbs/fat at each individual meal.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

charlibee HB User
Re: does deep fried food lead to diabetes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
I'm kind of confused about your post. Your title indicates you want to know the cause of diabetes, but what you discuss in your second paragraph is more about how different foods react when you eat, which has less to do with cause and more to do with effect.

Okay, let me see if I can answer both questions. First, no particular food CAUSES diabetes; however, being overweight puts strain on the body's cells and can cause them to become insulin-resistant which, in turn, can lead to Type 2 diabetes (note that Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, and it's cause is totally different.)

As for fat delaying absorption of carbs, yes, that is correct; however, if one is NOT diabetic, it really doesn't matter. And if one is diabetic and not on insulin or taking sulfonylurea medications, it also doesn't matter about the delay in absorption. On the other hand, if you're taking insulin, too much fat means you have to figure out exactly WHEN to take your pre-meal insulin so that you match the timing of the insulin action to when the carbs will start getting absorbed.

If you're not on insulin or oral medication, your blood sugar won't get too low just because your meal contains fat. And even when you're on insulin, you don't usually get too low when you're eating because SOME of the carbs get through right away. The biggest problem for insulin users when eating a high-fat meal is going high several hours later because the carbs are hitting big-time when the insulin has already finished its action.

So, to sum up...a high -fat diet can cause weight gain which can cause insulin resistance which can, eventually, cause Type 2 diabetes. But it's not because of any action of the carbs/fat at each individual meal.

Ruth
thank you that was very helpful

Reply Reply