It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

Narda99 HB User
Question Managing Insulin Before Surgery

Please help! I am having gallbladder surgery in a few days, and don't know how much insulin to take when I cannot eat the night before. I am new to insulin. I have not been able to eat much the last few days because of the stomach upset, and pain. I certainly would appreciate any input on this subject. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Managing Insulin Before Surgery

Have you had a pre-op consultation with the docs/anastesia people? They will often talk to you about insulin dosing. Basically, they like to err on the side of caution and have you run higher during the surgery because they don't want to have to worry about treating a low. It's easier to bring the sugar down quickly afterwards.

I remember in the bad old days of nph insulin they would have me take about half my regular night time dose and then again half my morning dose and then they would correct afterwards. Also, I would always be taken first because of my insulin. This is a long time ago though.

Hope this helps a little. Best of luck on the surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
Narda99 (02-24-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Managing Insulin Before Surgery

I believe now that there are both long-acting and short-acting insulins, they usually advise taking only the long-acting insulin, and taking a bit less than normal. As Cora pointed out, it's easier to have you run higher during surgery, and then you can correct afterwards. But, also as Cora suggested, you really should discuss this with the doctor who advises you on your insulin (either your primary care physician or your endocrinologist.) I haven't found anesthesiologists to be all that aware of the fine points of managing insulin.

Ruth

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
Narda99 (02-24-2013)
Reply Reply