HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/)
-   -   Urine smell (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/941466-urine-smell.html)

manishrathi 03-05-2013 03:27 PM

Urine smell

My urine smells too bad.

I read one article on net and it says, ketones in urine can cause bad smell and reason for high ketones in urine is breaking of fat to carbohydrates.

Here is my question, is it a good thing to have high level of ketones due to breaking of fat ?

I have higher fat proportion in body and big belly (My doctor told me that I have belly of 60 year old at the age of 40). I want to get rid of this belly. I am not eating fatty foods and I have diabetes so I am not avoiding carbs too. So is it a good thing that body fat is breaking for energy ?

On Sunday, I was feeling dizzy. May be that was because of not eating lunch. But this happened to me for the first time. I am fasting every Monday, and eat in the evening only. This dizziness never happened to me before. Shall I continue eating less to loose fat and also avoid carbs due to diabetes ? Will this help me lose fat and get in shape ?

For how long will I continue to get this smelly urine, if I am eating less ?

Thanks

Azurah 03-06-2013 12:23 PM

Re: Urine smell

That does not sound good. I would recommend going to your physician to have that checked out. It could be an infection or a sign of high glucose levels.

Unless you are on a ketogenic diet (low carb/high fat) for the purpose of burning fat for energy instead of carbs, it is not a good thing to have ketones. You said you do not eat fatty foods so it does not sound like you are on a ketogenic diet.

Do you have a glucose meter to test your blood sugars? If you don't, you should get one immediately. You can't really control your blood sugars or figure out what foods are healthy for you if you aren't monitoring your blood sugar.

Also, with the fasting and trying to avoid fat and carbs, it sounds like you aren't getting enough to eat. If you don't eat enough, you liver may release stored glucose and make your blood sugar high.

When you do eat, what types of food are you eating? I personally find that eating higher fat, lower carb works best for me. I am not overweight though.

rosequartz 03-06-2013 01:03 PM

ketones are bad, and if you are a diabetic you shouldn't be fasting!
eat regular meals!

manishrathi 03-08-2013 03:37 PM

I am type 2 diabetic.

I am trying to be on kind of ketogenic diet. But I am avoiding fat also.

I have belly fat that I want to get rid of. I am trying to burn that belly fat by not eating fats and control diabetes by not eating carbs. In nutshell, I am trying to take in lower amount of calories in body. If liver is still producing sugar, when I am not taking it from outside, then whats the point in not taking sugar from outside ? Where does the liver get glucose from, if I am not eating from outside ? Azurah mentioned that liver releases stored sugar. So for how long will liver release this stored sugar ? What happens when liver runs out of stored sugar ? When I am taking some fruits or juices, I am fine. But if I completely avoid sugar, I feel dizzy.

Please guide, how to loose belly fat and control sugar at the same time ?

Thanks

Azurah 03-08-2013 03:53 PM

If you aren't eating carbs and you aren't eating fat, what are you eating? You have to eat something! Fasting is not good for diabetics. Ketogenic diets can help you lose weight and control blood sugars, but they are HIGH fat, low-carb. It won't work correctly if you aren't eating enough fat. Lots of type 2 diabetics on other forums I'm on have been very successful at losing weight and normalizing their glucose levels on low-carb/high-fat diets. Some follow Atkins-like diets and some follow Dr. Richard Bernstein's plan. It may sound crazy, but you can lose weight while eating fat. I suggest you learn about ketogenic diets or some of the other diets mentioned.

Also, you don't mention testing your blood sugars. That is the most important thing to do! If you don't test, you don't know where you're at or if what your doing is working for you or not. I highly recommend googling blood sugar 101 and checking out the website to learn about controlling blood sugars. You'll probably find answers to many of your questions.

captjane 03-09-2013 02:59 AM

[QUOTE=rosequartz;5142835]ketones are bad, and if you are a diabetic you shouldn't be fasting!
eat regular meals![/QUOTE]

totally correct. You should not be fasting if you are diabetic, your body needs a steady supply of healthy food to keep your blood sugar more stable, if you don't eat, your blood sugar can drop and make you dizzy, or worse, you can go into a hypoglycaemic episode which is VERY unpleasant. You should not be avoiding all fats, you should be avoiding UNHEALTHY fats, you should also not be avoiding carbs, you should be eating HEALTHY carbs that break down and enter your blood stream slowly. Your body needs fats and carbs as well as protein as major nutrient sources, you have to learn how to choose them wisely but that does not mean avoiding them altogether!

92261 03-16-2013 03:58 PM

manishrati: All the posts I've read are very informative and right on target. Do you understand what T2 diabetes is? It is where your body is producing insulin (your pancreas) but your body doesn't know how to use that insulin to fuel your cells for energy. It just allows sugar to be built up in your blood. The pancreas has two types of cells. Beta cells and Alpha cells. In a T1 diabetic the beta cells are destroyed because of a virus and makes the pancreas stop producing insulin. The alpha cells still work and they are the cells that make the glucose (sugar) and glucagon release from the liver. The liver doesn't do it on it's own. The liver is a detoxifying organ for the body to get rid of bad waste.

The alpha cells make the liver release glucose when you're exercising or waking up in the morning so you don't faint. It's the fight or flight response. If you don't have that sugar you get dizzy and need the sugar to keep you stable. Dizziness is a symptom of low blood sugar. It's also a sign of low blood pressure and possibly dehydration. That's why runners need to drink drinks with electrolytes in them.

If you're not eating a BALANCED diet, then you could end up sending your body into a starvation mode and make yourself gain more weight. A BALANCED meal is a meal of fast acting carbs, slow acting carbs, proteins and vegetables. Look at a food pyramid and you will see the sections of the various foods you should be eating at each meal.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Don't skip it. Your brain needs the carbs to get you up and running.

Fat burning tips are drinking water, drink a glass of water before breakfast with lemon in it. Drink green tea with ginger, use coconut oil, stay away from fake butter. Use only real butter. The fake stuff has bad chemicals in it.

Exercise is a natural insulin and will help your body to shed the excess weight and move the sugars out of the blood to be used for fuel.

Try to stay away from a lot of WHITE foods. It's not what you eat, but how much you eat of what you eat. Less is more. A little bit of rice - 1/2 cup, goes a long way. Spice up your plate. Eat more of a variety of fresh foods and try to stay away from the packaged foods.

The ketogenic diet is a very useful tool for epilepsy patients. It helps to control seizures. If you end up with a very low blood sugar, you could end up with a seizure if you're not careful. It should be followed under strict doctor's care. Your pH levels, electrolytes, sugars, and other enzymes in the body need to be carefully monitored.

If you do not eat properly and incorporate fats (good fats) into your diet, you could end up with gallbladder issues. If you're starving yourself by fasting, the gallbladder will release bile into your colon or form gallstones, especially after you try to return to a normal diet.

Some people find success using the paleo diet. That's where you eliminate white foods and eat meats and vegetables. It's pretty much the opposite of being vegan. Some vegans are junk food junkies and eat a lot of sugar.

Ketones are not healthy. For a T1 diabetic, ketones can be lethal. You can develop ketones if you're sick. Ketones are your body using fat for fuel instead of carbs. If you're using this as a form of weight loss, your body is going to lack the right balance of nutrition and your blood sugars may be even worse.

Learn about the glycemic index. Learn about high, medium and low glycemic foods. Some foods don't metabolize as fast as others. So eating a balanced meal is just that........balancing your carbs and spreading them out throughout the day to keep your sugars stable and help you lose weight.

Drinking a lot of water is good. If you have ketones, water will help flush them out through the kidneys. Be careful of getting urinary tract infections from having to pee so much and don't hold your urine back.

Caffeine is a diuretic and can make you dehydrated and also cause you to lose magnesium. Eating magnesium-type foods will help keep your bowels moving. Eat nuts, dark chocolate, salmon, and green vegetables to get magnesium or take it in a supplement. Your body knows when it's got enough magnesium because your stools will be softer or maybe even really loose. If you have twitching, like in your eyes, that's a sign of magnesium deficiency. Taking magnesium before bed will also help you sleep better.

You may find yourself at some point plateauing with weight loss. You need to keep your metabolism going to lose weight. A lot of the weight loss at first is fluid. The fat around your mid section is the worst fat on your body. Also be careful about losing a lot of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. The same goes for exercising. The exercising could increase your muscle mass so you may not realize you're slimming down even if you're not losing weight since the muscle weighs more. Watch your pants size more than the number on the scale. Try not to weigh yourself too much or you'll get discouraged.

Try to incorporate at least one fruit at every meal and even eat an apple for a snack instead of anything else. It will fill you up more than you realize. Good luck.

Azurah 03-16-2013 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=92261;5147856]manishrati: All the posts I've read are very informative and right on target. Do you understand what T2 diabetes is? It is where your body is producing insulin (your pancreas) but your body doesn't know how to use that insulin to fuel your cells for energy. It just allows sugar to be built up in your blood. The pancreas has two types of cells. Beta cells and Alpha cells. In a T1 diabetic the beta cells are destroyed because of a virus and makes the pancreas stop producing insulin. The alpha cells still work and they are the cells that make the glucose (sugar) and glucagon release from the liver. The liver doesn't do it on it's own. The liver is a detoxifying organ for the body to get rid of bad waste.

The alpha cells make the liver release glucose when you're exercising or waking up in the morning so you don't faint. It's the fight or flight response. If you don't have that sugar you get dizzy and need the sugar to keep you stable. Dizziness is a symptom of low blood sugar. It's also a sign of low blood pressure and possibly dehydration. That's why runners need to drink drinks with electrolytes in them.

If you're not eating a BALANCED diet, then you could end up sending your body into a starvation mode and make yourself gain more weight. A BALANCED meal is a meal of fast acting carbs, slow acting carbs, proteins and vegetables. Look at a food pyramid and you will see the sections of the various foods you should be eating at each meal.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Don't skip it. Your brain needs the carbs to get you up and running.

Fat burning tips are drinking water, drink a glass of water before breakfast with lemon in it. Drink green tea with ginger, use coconut oil, stay away from fake butter. Use only real butter. The fake stuff has bad chemicals in it.

Exercise is a natural insulin and will help your body to shed the excess weight and move the sugars out of the blood to be used for fuel.

Try to stay away from a lot of WHITE foods. It's not what you eat, but how much you eat of what you eat. Less is more. A little bit of rice - 1/2 cup, goes a long way. Spice up your plate. Eat more of a variety of fresh foods and try to stay away from the packaged foods.

The ketogenic diet is a very useful tool for epilepsy patients. It helps to control seizures. If you end up with a very low blood sugar, you could end up with a seizure if you're not careful. It should be followed under strict doctor's care. Your pH levels, electrolytes, sugars, and other enzymes in the body need to be carefully monitored.

If you do not eat properly and incorporate fats (good fats) into your diet, you could end up with gallbladder issues. If you're starving yourself by fasting, the gallbladder will release bile into your colon or form gallstones, especially after you try to return to a normal diet.

Some people find success using the paleo diet. That's where you eliminate white foods and eat meats and vegetables. It's pretty much the opposite of being vegan. Some vegans are junk food junkies and eat a lot of sugar.

Ketones are not healthy. For a T1 diabetic, ketones can be lethal. You can develop ketones if you're sick. Ketones are your body using fat for fuel instead of carbs. If you're using this as a form of weight loss, your body is going to lack the right balance of nutrition and your blood sugars may be even worse.

Learn about the glycemic index. Learn about high, medium and low glycemic foods. Some foods don't metabolize as fast as others. So eating a balanced meal is just that........balancing your carbs and spreading them out throughout the day to keep your sugars stable and help you lose weight.

Drinking a lot of water is good. If you have ketones, water will help flush them out through the kidneys. Be careful of getting urinary tract infections from having to pee so much and don't hold your urine back.

Caffeine is a diuretic and can make you dehydrated and also cause you to lose magnesium. Eating magnesium-type foods will help keep your bowels moving. Eat nuts, dark chocolate, salmon, and green vegetables to get magnesium or take it in a supplement. Your body knows when it's got enough magnesium because your stools will be softer or maybe even really loose. If you have twitching, like in your eyes, that's a sign of magnesium deficiency. Taking magnesium before bed will also help you sleep better.

You may find yourself at some point plateauing with weight loss. You need to keep your metabolism going to lose weight. A lot of the weight loss at first is fluid. The fat around your mid section is the worst fat on your body. Also be careful about losing a lot of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. The same goes for exercising. The exercising could increase your muscle mass so you may not realize you're slimming down even if you're not losing weight since the muscle weighs more. Watch your pants size more than the number on the scale. Try not to weigh yourself too much or you'll get discouraged.

Try to incorporate at least one fruit at every meal and even eat an apple for a snack instead of anything else. It will fill you up more than you realize. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Are you a type 2 diabetic? Some of your information is good, but some is not such good advice for a T2 or not enitirely accurate.

I agree with the advice about healthy fats and real butter. Also the explanations of T1 vs T2 and avoiding white foods.

Ketogenic diets can work well for controlling blood sugar levels and weight loss. I've tried it myself with great success and know of several other type 2s who have been on ketogenic or low-carb diets for years. A paleo diet is pretty much ketogenic/low-carb. If you go low-carb, your body is able to switch from using glucose as it's enegry source to ketones. This is NOT the same as ketones from uncontrolled BG that can cause ketoacidosis. Being in ketosis on a low-carb diet is not a bad thing. In fact, many low-carbers aim to be in ketosis for weight loss.

You don't need to eat carbs in the morning because with the dawn phenomenon, you may already be starting off with high BG. Eggs and meat would be a better option and keep you full longer without spiking BG. A balanced diet like on the food pyramid has too many carb for a type 2. Adding fast and complex carbs to a meal is NOT necessary and can do more harm than good. If you eat green veggies, those have carbs and that's more than enough. You don't need grains or rice. You also have to be careful with fruit. I would NOT recommend one fruit with each meal. Fruits are full of natural sugars (carbs) and you'll have to test with your meter to see which fruits and how much you can handle. Berries tend to be low-carb and are better for BG than higher sugar fruits like bananas. Even 1 apple may or may not be okay. The only way to know is to test after trying it. It may be possible to eat an apple with something with protein and fat (like some cheese) to slow the absorption of the carbs and lessen the spike.

92261 03-16-2013 05:37 PM

Let's see if I can answer some of these questions without getting lost.

First, I'm not a T2, but did have gestational diabetes while pregnant and therefore am a risk for T2. I have a T1 child and therefore follow a meal plan for him that helps keep his sugars stable throughout the day.

The food pyramid that I follow is this - daily:

Vegetables: 30-60% 1/2 raw and 1/2 cooked
Beans/legumes: 10-40%
Fruits: 10-40%
Seeds, nuts and avocados: 10-40%
Whole grains & potatoes 20% or less
Poultry, oil, eggs, fish & fat free dairy: less than 10%
Beef, sweets, cheese & processed foods: rarely

My theory is that the brain needs carbs for fuel. You have to watch your meat consumption to be able to keep your cholesterol levels in good shape. Eating a lot of fatty meat is not good for your LDL.

Many foods that are white, besides bread, have good vitamins in them.

Fruits are good in NATURAL SUGAR, not processed sugar and also have good vitamins. They also have good antioxidants and bananas are high in potassium which is an electrolyte. You don't have to eat a lot of them, just a 1/2 cup or the size of your fist. They help keep you full and not crave bad sugars before your next meal.

I've stated, it's not what you eat, it's how much you eat of what you eat. Less is more in some cases. You can't eat cake at every meal but you can have a treat from time to time. If you don't, you'll go nuts and go off your plan and get discouraged.

If you continue with a low carb diet forever, you're doing your body an injustice and starving your brain cells and doing more harm than good. A good balance from all food groups is very beneficial and keeps your metabolism burning and keeps you from yoyoing. Some people have slow metabolisms and some have fast. T2 is a metabolic disorder whereas T1 is an autoimmune disorder. If you've got a metabolic disorder then you need to find the right combination of foods to keep the metabolism running and get the weight off and keep yourself healthy and avoid gallstones, kidney stones and other health issues often associated with diabetes. Everyone is different and what has worked for you may not always work for the next. I'm merely offering suggestions to help Manishrathi make his own decisions on what could possibly work for him.

His question was: Are ketones bad. In my opinion they are if they are present for a long time. Yes, his urine will smell because of the body getting rid of the fat through the kidneys processing the waste.

He said he's dizzy - that's unhealthy and he can't be skipping meals if he wants to lose weight. Fasting every Monday is not healthy either. It's giving the body a wrong message and telling the brain it's hungry and therefore making him dizzy and probably pushing him into a hypoglycemic situation which is making him sicker. That's yoyoing to me. A diabetic can't be skipping meals whether you're a T1 or T2. It's bad no matter what and your body will store fat for survival.

He doesn't say how long he's been a T2 diabetic, but regardless, he's fooling himself if he thinks he can control his sugars and lose weight by skipping meals and not keeping himself healthy and eat a healthy, balanced meal and stay away from a lot of saturated fats and high glycemic foods. Once he gets into a routine that works for him and finds that the weight will come off when he's eating correctly, his attitude will be good and he will understand the reason for a good, balanced meal which includes foods from all food groups. Moderation is good.

Manishrathi, I would suggest you talk to your endocrinologist about getting an appointment with a dietician and work out a food plan that will benefit you based on all of your other standings with what your cholesterol levels are, what your triglycerides are, what your sugars have been, and where you are heading with your current plan of fasting and skipping meals. Keep a food journal of what you're eating so the dietician can see what you're doing and that person can make recommendations of where you need to change things to help you get to your goal of becoming a healthier person.

breakingreality 03-16-2013 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=92261;5147856]manishrati: All the posts I've read are very informative and right on target. Do you understand what T2 diabetes is? It is where your body is producing insulin (your pancreas) but your body doesn't know how to use that insulin to fuel your cells for energy. [/QUOTE]

Ok, two of you have said this now, so I'm going to ask. I was told that T2 diabetes is where the pancreas basically gets tired and doesn't produce [I]as much[/I] insulin as it used to to help your body absorb the glucose, not that your body doesn't know what to do with it. Have I been misinformed?

Azurah 03-16-2013 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=breakingreality;5147909]Ok, two of you have said this now, so I'm going to ask. I was told that T2 diabetes is where the pancreas basically gets tired and doesn't produce [I]as much[/I] insulin as it used to to help your body absorb the glucose, not that your body doesn't know what to do with it. Have I been misinformed?[/QUOTE]

Most type 2s are insulin resistant. In the beginning, the pancreas has to work hard to produce more and more insulin to overcome the insulin resistance to bring blood sugars down. As the disease progresses, the beta cells can get burned out and then you get less insulin output.

This is why it can get harder over time to control blood sugar and more medications and insulin may be added to compensate.