It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

Pupwalker HB User
Feel like my Doc is not behind me on t2 managment

I have been hetting fasting BG of 135-145 past couple weeks... a few 105- 122 range, So called my doc, was told that She wants to wait to see what my A1C is in June, that that means more than daily readings??? last A1C was 6.6 taking Metforman 500Mg BID.... 1 cup special K cerial, no milk black coffee, 177BG! I tend to top out an hour after eating... was told check 1 hour after eating...
Where should I go with this????
BTW: yes I am under stress without seeing my numbers, my dad is currently in the hospital dying of renal failure due to T2....

Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
(female)

Pupwalker HB User
Re: Feel like my Doc is not behind me on t2 managment

same meal this morning put me at 229????

The following user gives a hug of support to Pupwalker:
Withered (03-22-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

Pupwalker HB User

Have Endro appointment, best I could get is May 30... will be doing all I can in the meanwhile...

Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

Azurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB User

Cereal would spike my BG that high too, so I don't eat it. Carbs = break down into sugar. Your meter is telling you that cereal is not a good thing to eat. It would spike most type 2s. Foods like cereals, breads, rice, and pasta are all very starchy/carby and most type 2s have a problem with those foods.

Sounds like you need to rethink your diet. Try eggs and bacon for breakfast. Or a veggie omelet. I'm sure you'll find that it's much friendlier to your BG.

It does not sound like your doc is behind you, but that's more reason to take control of your own diabetes, educate yourself, and figure out what you need to do to get healthier readings.

I feel that many doctors are not aggressive enough with their treatment of type 2. It's best if you educate yourself and learn as much as you can about managing this disease so that you aren't relying on your doctor, but having them be a partner in your care. I self-manage my D. I've spent enough time reading and learning about type 2 that at this point, I'm more knowledgeable than my GP. I see her for med refills and to order my labs. If I feel that my meds need adjustments, we discuss it.

If it were up to my GP, she'd say I don't have to test BG or take meds since my A1c is so low. I disagree with that approach. I would probably not have achieved this level of control if I went off meds and stopped testing.

I encourage others with diabetes to do their own homework on this beast we call type 2.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-22-2013 at 01:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Azurah For This Useful Post:
Pupwalker (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

Also, <I have read that Kelloggs Special K Cereal is quite high on the glycemic index. Which means it raises blood glucose levels quite fast>.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-22-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Pupwalker (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
(female)

Pupwalker HB User

It is hard when eggs are despised as well as milk.... results of childhood abuse....
other than cereal...... for years only coffee for breakfast, so feeling at a loss, can do a yoghourt, seems this monster took away many choices

Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
(female)

Pupwalker HB User

I just wish the hell for dad was over.... sorry but had to say it, it IS a huge thing when trying to get control of the monster to see some one dying because of the same monster.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pupwalker:
Azurah (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
(female)

Sorry for what you are going through and for your father's health crisis. I cannot imagine what it's like. That would be very hard on anyone.

Having to change my diet has been a huge challenge for me and it still is. I always relied on cereals and other starches for breakfast so I can sympathize. I still have my morning coffee everyday!

Sometimes it takes some creativity to figure out other options that work. I find that plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese with some berries works well for me. I do greek yogurt because it's usually lower sugar than regular yogurt and I like the creamy texture. It is very tart, so it can be an acquired taste. Maybe you could mix in a low-sugar/sugar-free flavored syrup or jam if you prefer sweeter yogurt. I try to switch it up with cottage cheese sometimes or smoothies sometimes because the same thing everyday gets boring.

Pupwalker (03-23-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
(female)

breakingreality HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupwalker View Post
I just wish the hell for dad was over.... sorry but had to say it, it IS a huge thing when trying to get control of the monster to see some one dying because of the same monster.
Losing my dad to complications with diabetes a couple years ago, I understand how hard it can be. My dad was not one who took control or took care of himself. Being diagnosed myself this year was a real punch in the stomach, but all we can do is the best we are each capable of.

When you take care of yourself, pay attention to your numbers, and alter your eating habits, you can take control of things. You don't have to do or learn everything all at once. I just use each reading as a learning experience or guide. If cereal is consistently spiking your sugar, experiment with different foods until you find a few options you like that don't spike you. For breakfast, I eat a lot of turkey, greek yogurt, low-fat cheese/cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, protein bars, grapefruit/berries, etc.

I'm still newly diagnosed and trying to get a handle on things, so I know it can be pretty overwhelming. Just try not to see your dad's situation as your future; I struggle with that sometimes, but we have a lot of control over what will happen to us as Type 2s.

The Following User Says Thank You to breakingreality For This Useful Post:
Pupwalker (03-25-2013)
Reply Reply