It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

Brenda-443 HB User
Meal and carb question

Hi,I was just diagnosed last week, the doc has me checking sugars one a day, different meals, for ten days. Today I had a cup and half of Cheerios and a cup of skim milk, with one cup of sugar free vanilla cafe coffee, at 8-8:30,lunch was a smoked ham sandwich using lite 35 bread and one banana, checked sugar one half hour after done eating and it was 196. Could that banana have caused my sugar to spike that high in one half hour? Can anybody suggest any alternatives for breakfast besides Cheerios? I had the glucose tolerance test last week, and fasting was 145, one hour 245, two hour 297' and three hour 98. I was also spilling sugar into the urine. My a1c was 6.9.

The following user gives a hug of support to Brenda-443:
Pupwalker (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
(female)

Pupwalker HB User
Re: Meal and carb question

2 things, that is a double serving of the cheerios, I can only do a 1/2 banana....
Doc said check after 30 min.???
I am also new to this site, welcome and these people give great advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
(female)

Pupwalker HB User

read as many pst posts as you can, I found out alot by doing that! also get in the habit of reading labels on foods...

Last edited by Pupwalker; 03-26-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

It seems you are eating a lot of carbs and that is what is spiking your blood sugar. For most people, it is best to test at the 1 and 2 hour marks after eating. There are quite a few yummy things that you can eat for breakfast that will not spike you as much as the cheerios. Meat is a good thing - eggs, bacon, sausage, ham. Make an omlette with lots of veggies. You can make a nice parfait with blended cottage cheese, yogurt, a bit of fruit and some nuts.

As for the lunch, you had about 60g of carb (2X15 for the bread, and about 30 for the banana). Some people don't eat that much carb all day. What about a lettuce wrap?

You're a1c isn't horrible, but it is definitely in the diabetic range. Adding exercise, cutting some carbs and maybe adding some meds depending on what your doc says can help. There is an expression that says "eat to your meter". You should be below 120 to 140 two hours after eating. So test at that point, and determine whether or not what you ate was ok. Either cut portions, or cut out that food entirely. Don't forget that whole grain breads are not much better than white.

Best of luck and feel free to ask lots of questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
Brenda-443 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
(female)

Azurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB User

I think it would be more helpful to test more, especially in the beginning. I was testing about 8x/day some days, but it really helped me figure out which foods spiked me and which were better for my BG. I found testing at 1 and 2 hours after meals most helpful. I aim for keeping BG under 140 because I've heard that damage/complications happen over time with BGs over 140.

Walmart has a Relion brand of meters and strips that are pretty affordable compared to some of the other brands and can help supplement your prescribed strips.

Your meals sound very high carb. Bananas, cereals, bread, and other carby, starchy foods spike me too. Other breakfast ideas that are lower carb are meats, eggs, veggie omelets, plain regular or greek yogurt with berries and/or nuts and seeds, cottage cheese. Also, dairy milk has a lot of carbs. Coconut and almond milk are lower carb options (when unsweetened). I sometimes do a smoothie with berries, coconut milk, and sometimes some plain greek yogurt for a protein boost.

Also, it's good to check the carb count on sugar-free items. They may be sugar-free, but still have carbs. Also, there are some lower carb wraps, one brand is Flat-Out, that may be a good substitute for bread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Azurah For This Useful Post:
Brenda-443 (03-27-2013)
Reply Reply