It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

Pupwalker HB User
Question Confused!!!!

I found that my blood glucose peaks at 1 hour... IE: today after dinner ran 265.. at 2 hours I was at 110???? what the heck????

Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

Azurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB User
Re: Confused!!!!

The peak can vary depending on the meal. What was it that you ate? Simple sugars and high-carb, low-fat meals tend to peak sooner, whereas complex carbs or higher fat content in the meal can delay the spike. A candy bar would spike me faster than a greasy donut because the candy bar doesn't have all that extra fat.

With pizza, sometimes blood sugar is highest 3 or 4 hours later.

One way to look at it is, all carbs turn to blood sugar, it's just a matter of how long it takes your body to break them down into glucose from the food you ate. If you drink a can of coke or cup of orange juice, the sugar is going to hit the blood stream faster than if you had a bowl of oatmeal or a plate of pasta.

The Following User Says Thank You to Azurah For This Useful Post:
Pupwalker (04-04-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
(female)

Pupwalker HB User

seems most things spike at around the hour mark, so I am better off checking at 1 hour rather than 2? doing every 2 hours, I would miss those spikes????

Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
(female)

Azurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB User

I would recommend doing both 1 and 2 hours when trying new foods. I hardly ever test at 1 hour now, but when I was newly diagnosed and trying to figure out how various foods affected BG, doing 1 and 2 hours was very helpful. Now I usually test at 2 hours and not every single meal, but that's because I learned so much with all of the testing when I was newly diagnosed that I have a pretty good idea of how various foods affect my BG.

If your peak is generally at 1 hour, it's good to see if and when you are getting back down to baseline, or close to pre-meal bg, which is why you would still want to do a 2 hour test. You found that some foods spike you at 200+ at 1 hour, but you were back down to 110 at 2 hours. You might have a different meal and find a BG of 120 at 1 hour, but then check at 2 hours and find a number above 140. In that case, you might even check at 3 hours to see if it's coming down or still going up.

Have you or your doctor set goals for your BG range? My personal goal is to try and stay under 140 at 2 hours. When I was first diagnosed, I had tighter goals of staying under 140 at 1 hour and under 120 at 2 hours. I'm not perfect and sometimes go over 140, but I want to minimize my risk of complications so I generally try to stay in that range.

Reply Reply

« A1c | Dreamfields »