It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
(male)

Ramaseshan HB User
Smile Sugar level high at night

I am on medication for Type 2 diabetes for 5 years. In the past 3 months, my sugar levels are within target range from morning till dinner. After dinner it raises to about 240-250 and falls to range early in the morning. What could be the cause? Have I to take less food in the night, and/or increase my medicine dosage ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
(female)

Ladyinred2010 HB User
Re: Sugar level high at night

Depending on what you are eating. I try to have dinner no later then 6 after that a lite snack, like a apple or unbuttered popcorn, cut back on bread, pasta, wht flour, and etc. Something that you are eating is making your sugar high.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ladyinred2010:
Ramaseshan (08-01-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ladyinred2010 For This Useful Post:
Ramaseshan (08-01-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

You could also try going for a walk after dinner.

When you say your numbers "fall to range" in the morning, what exactly does that mean? What are your morning numbers, typically?

Ruth

Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
(male)

Ramaseshan HB User
Exclamation Re: Sugar level high at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
You could also try going for a walk after dinner.

When you say your numbers "fall to range" in the morning, what exactly does that mean? What are your morning numbers, typically?

Ruth
Thanks for asking. My numbers vary from 150 t0 180 during daytime, that means the high number 250 or more in the night after dinner falls to some 150 in the morning. Doctor recommended range for me is 90 to 180, so I said 'fall to range'. Please give solution. I desire to be within range all 24 hrs, you see.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Okay, your numbers are not acceptable if your morning bg's are 150. That means your blood glucose was high all night while you slept. That is doing damage to your body.

The guidelines for diabetics in the USA are as follows:

Before breakfast: 90 to 130 (and you don't want to be in the higher end of that
range if you can avoid it)

Before lunch, dinner and snack: 90-130

Two hours after meals (timed from when you start the meal, not when you finish): less than 160.

Bedtime: 110-150

HbA1c: equal to or less than 7% (the lower, the better. )

You didn't mention what medication you're on, but I'm assuming it's an oral medication? It's possible that after 5 years of Type 2 diabetes, the disease is progressing, and you may need to add insulin.

Here's the thing: the longer you go with these high blood sugar levels, the more damage you are doing to your body. Many people do end up having to go on insulin - it is not an indication of failure to manage your illness but, rather, an indication that the illness has progressed, as T2 tends to do. The important thing is to control your blood sugar levels by whatever means you have available. Please talk to your doctor about this and tell him you want to be in better control. A broad range of 90 to 180 is useless unless he tells you WHEN you're supposed to be at each end of that range.

Ruth

The following user gives a hug of support to SamQKitty:
Ramaseshan (08-01-2013)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
mom2sonz (09-27-2013), Ramaseshan (08-01-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
(female)

Karangahan HB User

Hi SamQkitty,

I am in the process of being diagnosed on the elevation of BG. I just need a clarification on the numbers you cited.

I read that the goals should be as follows:

Fasting -- < 100

1 hr after meal -- 140

2 hrs after meal -- 120

Mine are oftentimes higher than this and sometimes normal.

Thank you.

Mary

Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
(male)

Ramaseshan HB User

I feel you are a lot better. However, you can keep the levels normal by doing some exercise, and follow a diet plan. Avoid medication, if you can.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mary,

Those numbers you quoted are what non-diabetics would see. Once you're diagnosed with diabetes, they give you a bit more leeway because if you're on insulin, you don't want to end up going TOO low.

However, if you're pre-diabetic and not on any medications, you should definitely shoot for those numbers you posted. At the beginning of T2 (in the pre-diabetic stage) you can usually achieve those numbers with diet and exercise.

Ruth

Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
(male)

Ramaseshan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
Mary,

Those numbers you quoted are what non-diabetics would see. Once you're diagnosed with diabetes, they give you a bit more leeway because if you're on insulin, you don't want to end up going TOO low.

However, if you're pre-diabetic and not on any medications, you should definitely shoot for those numbers you posted. At the beginning of T2 (in the pre-diabetic stage) you can usually achieve those numbers with diet and exercise.

Ruth
yes, of course you are right. Nonetheless, keeping normal numbers is very important, so exercise, walking, diet, supplemented with medication would do good. At old age, it is difficult to control numbers, catch it young, buddy.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
(female)

Karangahan HB User

Thank you so much for the clarification. I am trying to achieve the ideal numbers, but it is so hard for me to achieve them. How I wish there is an easy way. But, the thing with me, I would eat same food, same amount, same activities for several days for experimentation but I always get different numbers!!!

I walk at least 5 days a week. This sugar is a mystery to me. I have always been on the skinny side, never eat a lot, never over-indulge with sweets but since I started having some health issues, the elevated sugar joined the party.

Again, thank you.

Mary

Old 08-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Make sure they tested you for antibodies and c-peptide. It's a little known fact that even older people can develop T1.

But whatever you are, if you're testing often and you're fairly close to the numbers you posted, then you're probably doing fine. If they start to creep up and you are consistently exceeding the numbers I originally posted, then it's time for medication of some sort.

Ruth

Old 08-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
(female)

Karangahan HB User

I may not have made my thoughts clearly...my numbers at home are ALMOST ALWAYS way higher than the numbers I cited, only on few occasions that my numbers are close to that.

As much as possible I really am trying hard to control my sugar so I don't have to take more medications. I already have painful neuropathy, though I'm not sure if its related to my sugar problem as the nerve symptoms started 2 years ago. So, I don't want to create more damage to my nerves.

I will mention the antibodies to my doctor in my next visit in September.

Thank you so much.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
(male)

Ramaseshan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangahan View Post
I may not have made my thoughts clearly...my numbers at home are ALMOST ALWAYS way higher than the numbers I cited, only on few occasions that my numbers are close to that.

As much as possible I really am trying hard to control my sugar so I don't have to take more medications. I already have painful neuropathy, though I'm not sure if its related to my sugar problem as the nerve symptoms started 2 years ago. So, I don't want to create more damage to my nerves.

I will mention the antibodies to my doctor in my next visit in September.

Thank you so much.
The painful neuropathi is only due to sugar problem. Tell the physician about it. Now good and effective medicines have come in the market, and you can reduce the pain. Also it is very important to keep the neuropathi at bay, otherwise several complication may arise. Stroke, heart attack, digestive problem, eye, kidney, and all these organs will be affected, if the nerve damage is not controlled now.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
(female)

Karangahan HB User

Ramaseshan,

Thank you for your comment. There are an array of possible causes of neuropathy, not only blood sugar. My neuropathy started 2 yrs before the elevation of my sugar. The pain of neuropathy is not as simple as taking medications. I wish it's as simple as that. If there is an underlying condition causing it, the main thing is to treat the cause. Unfortunately, that is not my case. I underwent extensive tests to determine the cause but couldnt find one. All the medicines available in the market do not treat neuropathic pain, they just wean off the edge of the pain, even the painkillers.

I am trying hard to control the sugar so as not to create more havoc in my system.

Regards.

Mary

Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
(female)

Karangahan HB User

Ramaseshan,

Thank you for your comment. There are an array of possible causes of neuropathy, not only blood sugar. My neuropathy started 2 yrs before the elevation of my sugar. The pain of neuropathy is not as simple as taking medications. I wish it's as simple as that. If there is an underlying condition causing it, the main thing is to treat the cause. Unfortunately, that is not my case. I underwent extensive tests to determine the cause but couldnt find one. All the medicines available in the market do not treat neuropathic pain, they just wean off the edge of the pain, even the painkillers.

I am trying hard to control the sugar so as not to create more havoc in my system.

Regards.

Mary

Reply Reply