It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

lcb2 HB User
I'm mad -- resentful and resistant

I am a 52 yo woman, bipolar, PCOS, and now I'm told I'm prediabetic. I'm furious -- with myself, with the doctor, with the universe.

I should say that I am at very high risk for diabetes -- father, mother, grandmother diabetic; overweight (41.4 BMI); PCOS; high blood pressure and cholesterol; A1c 6.3%; FBS 126.

But despite all this, I feel like I'm being cornered into a new situation -- much like the changes I had to make when I was diagnosed bipolar 15 years ago -- and I HATE being forced to do something I don't want to do. Bottom line: I don't like being out of control.

I know -- in my head -- that I have no choice here. I know what un-/under-treated diabetes can do to me. But that doesn't change the way I feel in my gut. I'm pretty mad.

What I'm wondering is if anyone out there has experienced this. It would help to hear some stories, so I don't feel all alone.

TIA,
Laura

Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB User
Re: I'm mad --resentful and resistant

I was not familiar with PCOS polycystic ovary syndrome which is associated with insulin just like diabetes. I was told for years I was boarderline with the same readings you have. Changed doctors and she had me do a full glucose tolerance test and diagnosed me with diabetes. Hopefully you will have this test and then can be treated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

lcb2 HB User

Thanks for the reply. Were you resistant to the diagnosis? Was it hard to accept -- and how did you get yourself used to the idea? I'm pretty devastated.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
(female)

I went from taking no medicine to taking a bunch. I started with painful neuropathy in my feet. I saw a podiatrist first. He first stated low B12 can cause this. Blood work showed mine was low so started monthly injections. B12 now up but still painful neuropathy in my feet. My attitude is you do what you gotta do. I have done lots of different things for the neuropathy. Think the next thing i will try will be a pain management clinic. I am on gabapentin 900mg 3x a day but it doesn't completely handle the pain.

Last edited by nicelady; 08-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
(female)

lcb2 HB User
Re: I'm mad -- resentful and resistant

Regarding neuropathy, I need to understand more. I experience pretty significant pain in my feet (just started a month or so ago) when I get out of bed, or stand up after sitting for awhile. I have to hobble around for a couple minutes until the pain passes. My endo dismissed this pain -- saying that I'm still prediabetic and it couldn't be diabetic neuropathy yet. However, you said that your first symptom was foot pain... Do you think this could be what I'm experiencing? I'm not sure what neuropathy is supposed to feel like. Sometimes i have a tingling sensation in my feet and hands, but that comes and goes.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

lcb2 HB User

Regarding neuropathy, I need to understand more. I experience pretty significant pain in my feet (just started a month or so ago) when I get out of bed, or stand up after sitting for awhile. I have to hobble around for a couple minutes until the pain passes. My endo dismissed this pain -- saying that I'm still prediabetic and it couldn't be diabetic neuropathy yet. However, you said that your first symptom was foot pain... Do you think this could be what I'm experiencing? I'm not sure what neuropathy is supposed to feel like. Sometimes i have a tingling sensation in my feet and hands, but that comes and goes.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
(female)

The pain of neuropathy never goes away. My feet always hurt. I had someone describe it as it feels like you are walking on your bones. Good description. Any doctor who just dismisses any of your issues is not a doctor I would want to see. At least have your B12 checked. I had low level light therapy and there were people there who had it in their hands and feet.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
(female)

lcb2 HB User

Thanks. I appreciate your responses. :-)

Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
(female)

Linnea HB User

It helped when My neurologist added amitriptyline to my neurontin..be warned though, it can make you pretty sleepy, so I take it at night.

I too was pretty po'd when I was first told that i was pre diabetic. I was told in the beginning that my fasting numbers were creeping up, but was never told why, or how to combat it, only to loose weight...I mean, comon' people, if they had told me I was pre diabetic, I might not have been so flippant about it! I'm still po'd because now my neuropathy is worse, and my distance vision has went south too. Not to mention my new friend, Mr. Fatty Liver!

I also didn't appreciate being blamed for being pre diaLevemirbetic. I don't eat many carbs anyway since they make me blow up like a balloon! I never took it too seriously in the beginning because my gp didn't take it too seriously. Things are much better since I am seeing an endo for the pre diabetes, and he says no, it isn't my fault, but it is my job to try to lower my numbers with diet. That was info I really could have used 6 years ago.

Okay, I'm done now =)

Last edited by Linnea; 08-22-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
(female)

Linnea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcb2 View Post
This is exactly like my feet feel! It feels like I have been walking barefoot on pea gravel all day sometimes too. ETA: I forgot, it feels like there are tiny bugs all crawling and vibrating under your skin, or the relentless tingling! My 2nd toe on each foot tingled so bad in the begining, that I wanted to have those toes removed. I also will get random stabbing pains in my toes, or arches. All of these symptoms are worsened by my feet getting too hot, so I mostly wear well ventilated shoes. Sulphite's can trigger a neuropathic episode also (ask me how I know), so eat/drink very sparingly anything with sulphite's, mine was triggered by trail mix.

I have had neuropathy since roughly 1994, and my endo at the time (treating my thyroid & pernicious anemia) just poo-poo'd me about the neuropathy also. I actually found out from our nurse at work what kind of dr to see for neuropathy, and I made an appointment with a neurologist, he did an EMG on my feet, legs, and hands, and gave the diagnosis-neuropathy! I don't think I could walk now without my meds....

Last edited by Linnea; 08-22-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added info.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
(female)

Linnea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcb2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Were you resistant to the diagnosis? Was it hard to accept -- and how did you get yourself used to the idea? I'm pretty devastated.
I just started researching info on type II, mostly on here...the hubs is sick of hearing me talk about it I know...that is how I have dealt with it so far....

Linnea

Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

I also have pcos and developed insulin resistance, high bp, high cholesterol from it. I was having really obvious diabetic type symptoms including daily hypos, thirsty all the time, drinking ridiculous amounts of water, peeing constantly and so much fatigue that most days I couldn't stay awake the whole day. My doctor cleared me of any blood sugar problems and over time I got so sick that I honestly think my brain just stopped functioning properly because I just got so used to how my life was that it became normal and I stopped even questioning it. My cholesterol, liver enzymes and blood pressure kept going up so my doc sent me to an endo and when I told her about my diabetic symptoms (and I knew they were diabetic symptoms because my mother was type1), she did not accept what my gp had told me because it just didn't add up.

was I angry? no, it was a relief that finally my symptoms were being taken seriously and with dietary changes I've remained in the prediabetic range for about 5 or so years now and my health has completely turned around. It was an adjustment at first but what I've found particularly with diet is that you do adjust to it. I do pretty much all my own cooking now so I know what's in the food I eat and by substituting ingredients for example I don't feel like I miss out, occasionally I even eat home made pizza which is very different to anything you could buy, and it is the best tasting pizza I have ever had, you couldn't get me to buy one now with all the grease and crap they put on them and those thick doughy crusts. I also seem to have completely lost my sweet tooth now because I got so used to not eating anything sweet or sugary, and also if I ate something fatty I don't think my stomach would even tolerate it, it makes me nauseas just thinking about fatty food.

I think if you give it time you'll realize that the best tasting food isn't loaded with sugary or floury carbs, or fat or salt etc, those are things that get added to a lot of food to mask the fact that the food had no flavor to begin with. cook your own food and you'll see just how good healthy food can taste really amazing.

Last edited by captjane; 08-23-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
(female)

Karangahan HB User

Hi Nicelady,
I have a painful Neuropathy since 2011. I had all tests that can possibly cause a neuropathy but all came back normal. My 2-hour glucose test was within normal, though the 2nd hour was 72 (which may be borderline to being a reactive hypoglycemia).

Fast forward, my BG numbers now are going high and low. but mostly, my post prandial numbers are high that my endoc was compelled to give me another 2-hour glucose test. i am still waiting for the results.

My doctor said that only long-term uncontrolled sugar causes neuropathy and not prediabetes. But I gathered from your post that your neuropathic symptoms started when you were prediabetic? Am am correct?

As I am struggling with my neuropathy, I am still trying to find the cause of this horrible pain. So, when I read something new that can potentially lead me to the cause, I become excited and very interested.

Did your doctor say that your prediabetic condition was the cause of your neuropathy?

thank you.

Mary

Old 08-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
(female)

Karangahan HB User

Hi Nicelady,
I have a painful Neuropathy since 2011. I had all tests that can possibly cause a neuropathy but all came back normal. My 2-hour glucose test was within normal, though the 2nd hour was 72 (which may be borderline to being a reactive hypoglycemia).

Fast forward, my BG numbers now are going high and low. but mostly, my post prandial numbers are high that my endoc was compelled to give me another 2-hour glucose test. i am still waiting for the results.

My doctor said that only long-term uncontrolled sugar causes neuropathy and not prediabetes. But I gathered from your post that your neuropathic symptoms started when you were prediabetic? Am am correct?

As I am struggling with my neuropathy, I am still trying to find the cause of this horrible pain. So, when I read something new that can potentially lead me to the cause, I become excited and very interested.

Did your doctor say that your prediabetic condition was the cause of your neuropathy?

thank you.

Mary

Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
(female)

Yes. I have painful neuropathy in both my feet. My A1C numbers have never been extremly high 6.4 the highest. I don't understand it but I believe it unless it was the low B12 that caused it. I don't know how long I had low B12. It was around 140. I began B12 injections and my B12 moved up to 550 but no change in the neuropathy. My thought is everyone is different. What was your B12 reading?? Never thought of it that way. Maybe the diabetes for me is just subsequent to the neuropathy and the low B12 the cause of the neuropathy. They don't check the B12 unless requested. It should probably be checked any time blood work is done because if it low it can cause all kinds of issues. My thought is doesn't matter what caused it. I just want to find something to get rid of the pain.

Last edited by nicelady; 08-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Reply Reply