It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #1

ladiehawk00 HB User
flavored water

I looked at the ingrediants of my flavored water and it has aspartame in it, and then in bold letters it says it contains phenylalanine. I was just wondering is aspartame and whatever phenylalanine is is bad for you and what it does to you. Because the water is no cal but can that stuff still make you gain weight. I think i heard that aspartame is linked to cancer or something but I'm not sure.

Also is flavored black tea bad for you, i have french vanilla flavored. It says it has only natural flavors but can it still be bad for you, am i better off drinking just regular black tea?

Old 11-22-2003, 02:50 PM   #2

ZoDiaX HB User
Re: flavored water

I believe Aspartame is a sugar substitute, and it is unhealthy, there is a list of 92 possible symptoms from aspartame consumption from the FDA. So, stay clear of aspartame, or atleast I would advise you to stay clear of high levels of it.

I don't believe that Phenylalanine is dangerous.

A 0 calorie flavored water drink won't make you gain weight, I guess it depends on the type it is.. I like to drink "bubble" water, which is Talking Rain with flavors such as Mandarin Lime, or Natural. These are just water with natural gases, 0 calories, 0 carbs, it's all good. It depends on the brand of flavored water, because some have different ingredients and chemicals that may cause weight gain, but I would guess most don't. :)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2003, 09:48 PM   #3

viver HB User

Yeah, I'd avoid anything with aspartame unless you enjoy self-embalming with formaldehyde. Toxic stuff (slow poisoning). When I want store-bought flavored water, I go for Poland Spring waters with lemon or lime ... although it doesn't quite have enough flavor for me. It shouldn't be hard to make gallons of flavored water with spring water, stevia concentrate or some other healthier sweetener, lemon / lime juice, vanilla or whatever flavor one wants. During the Summer I make lots of these types of drinks.

I think you unsweeted black tea is healthier than your flavored water. You may also want to experiment with other drinks such as plain water, grain coffees, herb teas, fruit and vegetable juices, etc. I like making herbs teas with a touch of honey.

Mark

Old 12-04-2003, 02:03 PM   #4

lady_grey HB User

interesting. For me, if I'm going to drink water I prefer that it just taste like water. I don't like this flavored stuff much. If I'm dying for the flavor, I'd rather have half a coke instead of a poor substitute that won't really satsify me. But Mark's post did make me thirsty for some tea. I love hot tea on a cold day!

Old 01-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
Mara

Re: flavored water & Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiehawk00
I looked at the ingrediants of my flavored water and it has aspartame in it, and then in bold letters it says it contains phenylalanine. I was just wondering is aspartame and whatever phenylalanine is is bad for you and what it does to you. Because the water is no cal but can that stuff still make you gain weight. I think i heard that aspartame is linked to cancer or something but I'm not sure...Also is flavored black tea bad for you, i have french vanilla flavored. It says it has only natural flavors but can it still be bad for you, am i better off drinking just regular black tea?

There is a lot of controversy about aspartame. Some people are allergic to phenylalanine so they have to list it in that respect. In short, when aspartame reaches a certain temparature it converts to phormaldihyde and a chemical found in red ant venom. I for one don't want to pickle myself or go numb. I no longer use aspartame products. For me, it is not worth it. It can cause a multitude of neurological symptoms. Theres a lot out there so, read up.

Sparkling chilled water with plenty of freshly sliced fruit (apple, orange etc) added is delicious, refreshing and better for you. I stay away from immitation this and that because it is artificial and does not taste as well. Vanilla is a good example of that. There is a special pot to brew your own special blend of teas or coffees that you might really enjoy. (It is on my purchase list). It works by filling the caraf with water, adding the ingrediants, allowing it to come to a boil then to brew for several minutes. Once done, depress the handle (the "press") that acts as the filter yet allows the fluid to come through. You can make pleasing variations this way and benefit from the freshness in natural flavorings with the aromatics to boot.

You could add fresh vanilla been and lemon or orange fruit zest (not the rind section, that will make it bitter) for their oils to brew and have a very enjoyable, suithing beverage that is good for you.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #6

crittercat HB User

A slice of cucumber, or a sprig of mint does well to flavor water too. I go through phases when I love normal water, and other times when it has to have some flavor. I drink my water with a straw as well because I tend to drink a lot more that way.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User

If you're really interested in flavored bottled water and are concerned about the sweeteners, you could try finding some that is sweetened with Splenda. I've heard that this sweetener is made from sugar, but doesn't have the calories taht sugar does, plus it doesn't have that after taste that the artificial sweeteners do.
Thre is a brand of flavored water that uses Splenda, but I can't remember what it is...It's pretty good, makes a nice change from drinking just plain water or water with lemon...

Old 01-28-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Lightbulb Re: flavored water

Hello, I feel the easiest solution to wanting to feel like you're having a little more than "just water"...is to buy some lemons and put a squeeze of fresh lemon juice in your water. There really shouldn't be enough calories in a squeeze of lemon to hurt your diet and it adds a little refreshing flavor.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:37 PM   #9

Shane S HB User

I'd personally prefer regular water, but if you're going to drink flavored water, just go with whatever tastes best. Which sweetener they use is irrelevant. Squeezing some fruit into your water is a good idea, though.

Old 02-13-2004, 08:24 AM   #10
Mara

Not all sweeteners are created equal (no pun), read up...

Closed Thread