It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2003, 07:44 PM   #1

supersuperninja HB User
i'm a weak boy

I am an 18 year old male and I have been very tall skinny and weak my entire life. About two weeks ago I started lifting some weights and starting an excercise program. My question is what is the best way for me gain some muscle mass on my body? I eat relatively healthy already, but is there some specific diet I could use to help me out some? also, I don't have much money to be spending on ultra expensive dietery supplements. thank you

Old 12-12-2003, 09:07 AM   #2
Inactive

Deep_in_Thought HB User
Re: i'm a weak boy

SuperNinja,
One of the best things to eat if you want to build more muscle is protein. Make sure that you eat foods that contain protein (such as eggs, lean meats, etc.). Protein supports healthy muscle growth.

Have fun working out! I'm looking into joining a gym, myself, as I want to tone my body.

Colleen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 03:15 PM   #3

supersuperninja HB User

I know protein is essential in building muscle mass, but what is the best way to get enough protein to help stimulate such growth? Are their any relatively innexpensive foods/drink mixes etc. i could get?

Old 12-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

beans, lentils, nuts bought in bulk are very cheap. also, peanutbutter. these are all good protein sources. i don't eat any meat or fish personally, but tuna is a concentrated source of lean protein also, and not expensive.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperninja
I know protein is essential in building muscle mass, but what is the best way to get enough protein to help stimulate such growth? Are their any relatively innexpensive foods/drink mixes etc. i could get?
Chicken is pretty cheap, eggs even cheaper per gram of useful protein. Cottage and other cheeses also.
Most health food stores also sell whey or whey-based protein drinks, and these are high quality, cheap protein.

For building muscle, protein intake timing seems from the research to be as important as amount. ten or 20 grams of complete protein and small amount of carbs two hours or so before working out, and again immediately upon finishing the workout (the studies say wait no more than one hour) seem to contribute directly to net protein creation in the body. This is why you will sometimes see bodybuilders drink a protein shake or eat a protein bar immediately after showering, on the way out of the gym.

Small, frequent meals are also recommended, as the body's defense against low blood sugar is to start breaking down protein to release glucose. so, a bit of a protein snack between major meals (which should, in turn, not be too huge) is a good approach.

hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2003, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

The thing about building muscle is to keep up regular exercise in the areas you want to develop. Running will increase your body's overall muscle more than anything else. Then go to work on your arms separately (the running will make your legs powerful). And eat plenty of protein, not excessive carbohydrates. As has already been said, chicken is a great source of protein and can be bought in bulk quantities to save money. The thing about building muscle is patience and persistence. You won't see results overnight but push yourself and you will in a month, I promise. I'm a slender guy and I'm trying to build my arms. I only started with 10 kg weights on each arm about two months ago and now I'm on to 14 kg with the same level of exertion. You can do it too

Old 12-22-2003, 07:24 PM   #7

mugal2003 HB User

From what my fitness trainer told me, if you want to have lean muscle, uptake your protein and cut your carbs. He suggested protein mixes, bars, or shakes. I take the vitamin L-carnitine, which promotes lean muscle mass in the body and I workout everyday for about an hour. I've noticed alot of differences in my body. I eat lean turkey, ham, fat free cheeses, egg white omelets, yogurt, cream cheese. ALthough i haven't cut my carb intake to a very low number, I eat grapes, celery, etc for my carb intake. I usually have some raisin bran for my fiber intake. It hasn't hurt me so far, so i guess that's good. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2003, 07:19 AM   #8

a bear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperninja
I am an 18 year old male and I have been very tall skinny and weak my entire life. About two weeks ago I started lifting some weights and starting an excercise program. My question is what is the best way for me gain some muscle mass on my body? I eat relatively healthy already, but is there some specific diet I could use to help me out some? also, I don't have much money to be spending on ultra expensive dietery supplements. thank you
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/001747.html[/url]

Closed Thread