It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 09:54 AM   #1

money1 HB User
Question No more meats. Looking for veggie diet. HELP!

Hello - I have eaten meats all my life. I would like to not eat meat for about a month. Can anyone out there help me. If there is someone out there who eat only veggie, rice, and fruit to lose weight, and I do drink lots of water. Can you give me a breakdown for break, lunch, snack and dinner. I know you get you protein from meat, but I know its other foods out there with protein. Please help.

Thanks

Old 12-15-2003, 10:11 AM   #2
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User
Re: No more meats. Looking for veggie diet. HELP!

Heya,
I'm vegan (don't eat any meat, dairy, eggs).
Eating this way, I've lost about 90 pounds. I'm at a healthy weight now and closing in on my goal weight, 10 less than i weigh now. this will probably take me about 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, for breakfast I usually have optimum power breakfast cereal with soy milk (15 g. protein right there), and occasionally a slice of toast with a little hummus (more protein) or jam. plus a piece of fruit.

Lunch: A big salad with lots of varied veggies, plus a little soy sauce & balsamic vinegar. I'll throw some tofu and either sunflower seeds or some chopped walnuts on top for protein and texture. sometimes I'll have a baked potato with salsa, or a baked yam also.

Dinner: Here's what I had last night-- whole wheat/flax spaghetti w/ sautéed onions, seitan (a very high protein, low fat gluten based meat substitute), garlic marinara & nutritional yeast flakes. and steamed broccoli. nutritional yeast can be bought in bulk and adds a cheesy taste, plus lots of protein and very few calories per serving.

Other things which are good protein sources are nuts and nut butters (although you should have them in moderation b/c they're pretty high in fat), seeds, beans, lentils, brown rice, tempeh, veggie burgers (like boca or amy's burgers), and other meat substitutes.
it's really not hard to get sufficient protein without meat. i think you'll be surprised how good you feel!

If you need any more help, I'd be happy to help however I can.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Thumbs up Re: No more meats. Looking for veggie diet. HELP!

Hello, There are different types of vegetarian diets. Some are vegan as in the previous post, some are ovo-lacto vegetarian, and some are lacto-vegetarian. Then you have the seafood/fish eater who call themselves vegetarian, but really aren't since they eat fish. There are probably different places in your community like health food stores and the 7th Day Adventis that you can go for help, classes, and support with starting vegetarian diets.

Proteins are milk, eggs, nuts, and beans. (tofu and tofu products are in the bean category, since tofu is made from beans) You only need 10% protein in your diet. According to the classes that I have taken, too much protein can cause problems.

I did the vegetarian thing for a month or so to get my cholesterol down. Here's what I used to eat...

BKf.- 1 coffie, 2 slices of toast with lite spread.

Morn. Snack - 1 rice cake or celery or carrots or a low-fat granola bar.

Lunch - 1 diet soda, (Bad girl.) sandwich made with lite mayo, romaine lettuce, and vegie slices or a tomato sandwich, and 1 fruit or vegie and 1 serving of pretzels or fat-free chips or baked tortilla chips. (15-20 pretzels or chips.)

Super - Vegie sausage or other meat substitute, mashed potatoes, and salad with fat-free dressing......OR tofu and vegie stir fry and pasta.....OR Pasta with tomato sauce and parmesan and a salad.

Night snack - Popcorn of course or 1 serving of fat-free ice-cream with fat-free chocolate syrup. (The chocolate syrup is in a can.)

Old 12-15-2003, 10:53 AM   #4

money1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkbondtrader
Heya,
I'm vegan (don't eat any meat, dairy, eggs).
Eating this way, I've lost about 90 pounds. I'm at a healthy weight now and closing in on my goal weight, 10 less than i weigh now. this will probably take me about 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, for breakfast I usually have optimum power breakfast cereal with soy milk (15 g. protein right there), and occasionally a slice of toast with a little hummus (more protein) or jam. plus a piece of fruit.

Lunch: A big salad with lots of varied veggies, plus a little soy sauce & balsamic vinegar. I'll throw some tofu and either sunflower seeds or some chopped walnuts on top for protein and texture. sometimes I'll have a baked potato with salsa, or a baked yam also.

Dinner: Here's what I had last night-- whole wheat/flax spaghetti w/ sautéed onions, seitan (a very high protein, low fat gluten based meat substitute), garlic marinara & nutritional yeast flakes. and steamed broccoli. nutritional yeast can be bought in bulk and adds a cheesy taste, plus lots of protein and very few calories per serving.

Other things which are good protein sources are nuts and nut butters (although you should have them in moderation b/c they're pretty high in fat), seeds, beans, lentils, brown rice, tempeh, veggie burgers (like boca or amy's burgers), and other meat substitutes.
it's really not hard to get sufficient protein without meat. i think you'll be surprised how good you feel!

If you need any more help, I'd be happy to help however I can
Good luck.
Hi Junk - Thanks soooon much for you info. First of all I would like to say CONGRAT on your weight loss. Your menu sounds wonderful. I love salads, walnuts, nuts, broccoli, jam, brown rice, potato, yam, green beans, and seeds. But I need some help on the Jam, bread, what kind sould I buy? Do veggie burgers have a lot of salt in them? What is nut butter and hummus? Is it okay to eat any kind of fruit?

Old 12-15-2003, 11:00 AM   #5

money1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
Hello, There are different types of vegetarian diets. Some are vegan as in the previous post, some are ovo-lacto vegetarian, and some are lacto-vegetarian. Then you have the seafood/fish eater who call themselves vegetarian, but really aren't since they eat fish. There are probably different places in your community like health food stores and the 7th Day Adventis that you can go for help, classes, and support with starting vegetarian diets.

Proteins are milk, eggs, nuts, and beans. (tofu and tofu products are in the bean category, since tofu is made from beans) You only need 10% protein in your diet. According to the classes that I have taken, too much protein can cause problems.

I did the vegetarian thing for a month or so to get my cholesterol down. Here's what I used to eat...

BKf.- 1 coffie, 2 slices of toast with lite spread.

Morn. Snack - 1 rice cake or celery or carrots or a low-fat granola bar.

Lunch - 1 diet soda, (Bad girl.) sandwich made with lite mayo, romaine lettuce, and vegie slices or a tomato sandwich, and 1 fruit or vegie and 1 serving of pretzels or fat-free chips or baked tortilla chips. (15-20 pretzels or chips.)

Super - Vegie sausage or other meat substitute, mashed potatoes, and salad with fat-free dressing......OR tofu and vegie stir fry and pasta.....OR Pasta with tomato sauce and parmesan and a salad.

Night snack - Popcorn of course or 1 serving of fat-free ice-cream with fat-free chocolate syrup. (The chocolate syrup is in a can.)
Hi Magpiezoe -Do you measure your foods. Like how much mashed potatoes do you eat? Have you lose weight doing this for a month?

Old 12-15-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

i always buy whole grain breads (whole wheat, dark rye, pumpernickel, multi-grain, oat, spelt). i especially like spelt bread. it makes delicious toast and has a lot more protein than other kinds of bread. i just avoid the overprocessed, bleached breads and white breads and try new things all the time. As for jam, it's always low fat pretty much. There are whole fruit jams out there that don't have sugar added and they taste pretty good. These are better for you than traditional grape jelly kinds of things, but since it's not something you eat in huge quantities, I wouldn't stress about it much. Just pick flavors that sound good to you! I love apricot and blackberry preserves.

I checked the veggieburgers i've got in the fridge and they have between 10-15% of the rda for sodium (salt) in each, so they're not real high. i'm sure it varies depending on what type you buy.

besides peanutbutter, there are other nut and seed butters that are tasty and full of protein. for example, cashew butter, almond butter, and even soynut butter. a tablespoon or two of any of these with some celery or apple slices is a tasty snack. tahini (a paste made from sesame seeds) is also very good, but it's an acquired taste. these things are best if you have just a little, but the great part is they really satisfy you/ make you feel full.

hummus is basically mashed chickpeas with a combination of other things (often olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, spices) and can be used as a spread for toast or bagels, veggie dip, sandwich filling, on salads instead of fatty heavy dressings, etc. you can buy it in grocery stores pretty much everywhere- i found a delicious low fat/low cal version with cilantro, also love red pepper flavored hummus, sundried tomato hummus, etc. if you can't find any, it's very simple to make in a blender and you can season it however you like!

there's not a single fruit on my no-no list. i love the stuff and eat lots of it! the only kind i try to limit are dried fruits. they're delicious to snack on and have lots of fiber, and i love them (esp. apricots and turkish figs) but i try not to eat more than 3-4 pieces at a time. the only reason for this is that they're a concentrated source of sugar. they have as much sugar as they would fresh, but since they're dried and small, you can eat in 4 bites the amount of sugar that you'd get in 4 whole apricots. if i eat too many dried fruits, i get sugar cravings, but otherwise i'm fine.

oh, and one out of the blue recommendation- if you can find them, try gardenburger's "riblets". they're all vegetarian "ribs" with delicious barbecue sauce. stick to your ribs and totally guilt free. something like 25 grams of protein/serving also.

Last edited by junkbondtrader; 12-15-2003 at 12:10 PM.

Old 12-15-2003, 02:30 PM   #7

AduSmooth HB User

just eat fluff, no cholesterol, no fat. And it's only got 60 calories per 2 tbsp! It's quite tasty also... you should try it

Old 12-15-2003, 08:42 PM   #8
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

*LOL* i remember fluff!!

i'm originally from mass., but i live out west now. no one here has ever heard of it! you say the word "fluffernutter" and they look at you like you've just sprouted a testicle out the center of your forehead. *sigh*
fluff, those were the days.

it's a kind of marshmallow creme, for the uninitiated.
holy sugar rush, batman.

Last edited by junkbondtrader; 12-15-2003 at 08:42 PM.

Old 12-16-2003, 08:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, I'm 115 lbs., so I don't need to loose weight. I did that diet to lower my cholesterol, which is exactly what it did. I will admit that I did wind up loosing 2 lbs. on it, so at that time I did bring my cholesterol down to 176 from 239 and my weight to 113 from 115. It was easy and I know that I will have to go back to it. I'm back to my old meat eatting habits, but I really think my cholesterol went back up to 196 because I really wasn't watching my total fat intake carefully enough after re-introducing the meats and eating a lot of junk like take-out orders and duck.

For the serving for mashed potatoes, a single serving is the size of your fist. I have found that salsa is really good on mashed potatoes unless you're watching your salt intake too. Lemon-pepper is another goody on potatoes especially with fat-free sour cream.

The thing is to be creative and to try to stick with items you can accually buy from your local grocer. I find the Health food stores have wonderful food, but are too expensive for my budget. One item I really like, that our health food store doesn't sell anymore, is VEET. VEET is a meat substitute made from vegetable protein and is very easy to cook. It cooks up just like regular meat. If you stir fry it with vegies, it really does taste and look like chicken. If you stir fry with a little soy sauce, it tastes and looks like pork.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello Junkbondtrader, Those gardenburger ribletts sound good. I didn't know they had those. What store do you get them? I haven't seen them in our stores yet. I'm a gardenburger fan, because of the variety of vegie burgers. My favorites are the roasted pepper and the mushroom ones. Have you tried the Boca buger Italian sausage links? My son likes the ones without the casings, but I like the ones with the casings. They are pretty good too.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #11
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
Hello Junkbondtrader, Those gardenburger ribletts sound good. I didn't know they had those. What store do you get them? I haven't seen them in our stores yet. I'm a gardenburger fan, because of the variety of vegie burgers. My favorites are the roasted pepper and the mushroom ones. Have you tried the Boca buger Italian sausage links? My son likes the ones without the casings, but I like the ones with the casings. They are pretty good too.
i've seen the gardenburger riblets at safeway and kroger supermarkets here. also at healthfood stores. unfortunately i can't have the boca italian sausage links anymore b/c they have egg whites in them, but i remember them and they're pretty tasty. I buy gardenburger breakfast sausage patties now instead (also a new product)-- They rock!! My favorite veggie burgers are the california burgers by amy's! Actually their Texas burgers and All American burgers are really satisfying too. MMMmmm. There's also a company called Health Is Wealth that makes fake chicken patties and fake chicken nuggets, plus GREAT soy buffalo wings. *drool*

Old 01-05-2004, 01:45 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

The Gardenburger Riblets are good, but I'm not fond of the sauce they put on them. It's too sweet, so I scrape most of it off.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:40 PM   #13

Korn HB User

I can't help myself from eating a massive steak after reading this, thanks guys...it really helped me out

Last edited by Korn; 01-05-2004 at 06:41 PM.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #14
(female)

sfveggie HB User

I've been vegetarian since 1976 and vegan since 2000 and I'm still over weight. Vegan food isn't necessarily healthy or low in fat or calories. I eat lots of vegan junk food and too many soy burgers and processed "fake meat." For weight loss, I think it's about eating unprocessed food, I believe. I'm all for folks going vegetarian and vegan. I do it for ethical/compassion reasons more than health and after all these years of being veg, I know I'll never go back to eating animals.
Tons of great vegan cookbooks on the market. Also great recipes on websites like {URLS removed} .

Last edited by hbguide1; 01-10-2004 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Please review the Board Guidelines you agreed to for the Policy on website links.

Closed Thread