It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

Rosemary HB User
How can some people eat so much?

I have always had trouble with my weight. I'm not overweight but it is a constant battle. I have to watch everything I eat. My best friend is thinner than me and eats like a damn horse. I stayed over at her house last night. This morning we had a huge breakfast. At lunch I nibbled on salad with no dressing and enviously watched her put away a hamberger, salad, and onion rings. We went shopping at the mall and of course she couldn't walk through a food court without a snack so she ate 2(!) soft pretzels. Three hours later we passed that way again and she ate a corn dog(!) and french fries(!!). We're going to a new years party tonight and she just called to say she'll pick me up a few minutes late because they are having dinner late. I don't even want to know what she is having for dinner. I had a small lunch and nothing else for the rest of the day so I could have a snack at the party. She'll suck down food all night. It is incredibly annoying that I have to half starve myself and she eats anything at the slightest whim. If we walk down the street and there is a good smell coming from a restaurant, she'll pat her stomach and say "God I'm getting hungry - let's eat!". How can some one eat so much and not look like a whale? Sometimes I am so jealous I can't stand it. Is they something wrong with her? or me? Is there something I can do? It is the more disheartening thing in the world to try to lose a couple of pounds and watch her just stuff her face anytime she has the slightest desire.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
Re: How can some people eat so much?

She's lucky. Live with it.

How come some people can ace exams, evenSATs and similar tests, without hardly any preparation and others, who certainly appear quite intelligent, cannot? How come some can sing beautifully and I cannot? How come some people cannot hit a pitched ball to save their lives, but took to water and swim easily, and others are the opposite?

Why have I lost so much of my hair, while others, who are obviously less deserving, ahem, have all of theirs?

How come some people get more votes but others get to be President?

Luck, chance, the cards we are dealt.

By the way, the only thing you seem to be doing wrong is eating too litlle--the classic dieter's mistake. Salad without ANY dressin? yech! This is not a way to lose weight, it is a way to train your metabolism to get by on very few calories, so that you will never lose much weight at all without starvation efforts. Start over.

My opinion only, needless to say.

sean

Old 01-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #3

leeintx HB User

rosemary..i know were you are comeing from..i haft to watch what i eat also cause i gain weight so easly also..i gain a lot of water(fluid)weight easly. i have friends that eat so much and never gain a pound..there metabo. is faster than mine and yours thats all. makes me sick..

Old 01-01-2004, 07:00 PM   #4

NightStrike HB User

Yes, there metabolism is just faster and have better genetics. But make no mistake, time will catch up to them there metabolism will slow down. And keep in mind, just because you're skinny, that does not mean you're healthy. Every ones bodies are different, but everyones heart is the same, and there arteries can get clogged just as easily as a larger person.

So try not to let your skinny friend discourage you from eating healthy and working out Good luck!

P.S Its also ok to splurge a little every once and a wile. You kind of have to, to keep your self from going insane

Last edited by NightStrike; 01-01-2004 at 07:13 PM.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:09 AM   #5
(female)

magicmom HB User

It's so hard to watch isn't it? My sister in law is like that, and it drives me crazy. I have to watch every little bite, while she drinks Coke and eats at Taco Bell every night. I know she doesn't eat healthy, but she stays thin. I eat healthy and have trouble losing weight. Who knows why? I guess everyone is different...

Good luck to you...

Old 01-02-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
(female)

TallBecky HB User

Rosemary,
I think I can understand your frustration. Just remember people are all different with different good and bad points. Not that having a big appetite is all good or a slower metabolism is all bad. When I was in high school I was always tall and real thin. People told me how I was lucky to be thin. All I wanted was to be cute and voluptuous. I was too tall and bony. I was as jealous as you over my friends who were 5'4" with rounded curvey figures. Try to think about what's best about you.
-Becky

Old 01-03-2004, 11:06 AM   #7

qhgurly HB User

A fast metabolism.... the more you eat, the faster it gets. Exercise and eating will boost your metabolism to the point where eventually it doesn't matter what you eat.... During soccer season I can eat whatever I want... It's winter that gets me, lol.....

Old 01-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
Inactive

Deep_in_Thought HB User

Rosemary,
It looks like most of the posts have covered what I would say to you about your situation :-), so I guess that I will just add that you need to be happy with yourself. I'm sure that you have a lot going for you. You seem like a sincere, sweet person, and I bet there are people who are envious of you over that.

Remember: You don't have to be thin/tall/etc. to be loved...you just have to be yourself. Accentuate the positive. What are some of your good points? C'mon...I know you must have lots ;-).

Colleen

Closed Thread