It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004, 05:13 PM   #1

Korn HB User
is the atkins diet safe

is it?
does it work?
what else should I do along with that?

Old 01-04-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User
Re: is the atkins diet safe

In my opinion it isn't safe. Too much protein can weaken bones and damage your kidneys and liver. [websites removed] It's your body, and I won't tell you what to do, but I'd at least read as much as possible about the diet before following it.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-06-2004 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please carefully read, know and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

the american dietetic association has also deemed low carb high-protein diets as "unsafe" and based on "pseudo-science". (See their book: Carbohydrates: What You Need to Know). I agree with the previous poster. There are a lot of different opinions about Atkins, and I know which ones I believe, but if you're considering trying this diet, be sure to read up on different viewpoints.

Last edited by junkbondtrader; 01-05-2004 at 08:20 AM.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #4

Korn HB User

is this because of pressure from kooks like PETA?

I've read stuff from people on this board who've said they've lost 30+lbs

do the mainstream of scientists agree with the diets?
Are there any actual cases of people getting hurt because of Atkins or is this all guessing?

oh, and I would like to talk to some people who have been on the diet...is it ok to give my [removed] through this forum?

Last edited by moderator2; 01-06-2004 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Do not post contact information. These boards are for anonymous use only. Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:18 PM   #5

LKA HB User

I grew up with a mother who had a Master's degree in Nutrition. I have always felt the Recommend Daily Food groups is a good guide to follow. But pay careful attention to serving sizes. They are smaller than most people think. (Meat serving about the size of you hand, one half cup for veggies, etc.) Remember, the serving is what is recommed for you, a helping is what you give yourself.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User
Wink Re: is the atkins diet safe

Hey Korn,

Yeah Yeah, it's vegan me posting again. Feel free to insult/ disregard me.

Somehow I don't think the ADA or AHA base their recommendations or warnings on anything PETA says or does.

And just for the record, not that you asked, I do care about animal welfare in addition to human welfare. But because PETA disrespect human beings and basically use publicity stunts and crap to forward their cause instead of sticking to the facts, I agree with you that they are 'kooks' as you put it. But I set them in a whole other category than most environmental activists and animal advocacy activists, many of whom I know not to be extreme, intolerant, or disrespectful like many at peta.

Last edited by junkbondtrader; 01-06-2004 at 07:02 AM.

Old 01-13-2004, 07:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korn
is this because of pressure from kooks like PETA?

I've read stuff from people on this board who've said they've lost 30+lbs

do the mainstream of scientists agree with the diets?
Are there any actual cases of people getting hurt because of Atkins or is this all guessing?

oh, and I would like to talk to some people who have been on the diet...is it ok to give my [removed] through this forum?
there is pro and con to any diet! Atkins made many bucks when it first came out and some people lost weight(any diet will cause weight loss at first, keeping it off is the trick)also some people had cholestral, lipid increase beyond safety. I have a friend who has been on it for 6yrs and has lost 10lbs, cholesterol out of this world and high blood pressure of which she never had before starting it. But she is happy with it and continues to eat her meat to death as far as I can tell. My personal opinion is to weigh everything pro and con(people who choose to ignore any negatives are fools)and then go to it moderately. Me I just portion control and have been for many years and stay at the same weight. Seems like most diet plans are a good social club but not for me.

Old 01-14-2004, 06:58 AM   #8
(female)

frosty87 HB User

I don't think it is safe or sustainable long term. What good is it if you can't sustain? IMHO Moderation is much better long term then any diet that skews your diet so much in one direction.

Last edited by frosty87; 01-14-2004 at 07:02 AM.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:19 AM   #9

wearesiamese HB User
Cool Re: is the atkins diet safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty87
I don't think it is safe or sustainable long term. What good is it if you can't sustain? IMHO Moderation is much better long term then any diet that skews your diet so much in one direction.
Hi. I see posts like this from people who haven't yet read the Atkins book. Most people, until they get interested in Atkins and research it, believe that it involves a lifetime of eating nothing but meat and fat. This is not true. Only in the Induction phase, which is a two week period, is there a severe limitation of carbohydrates. People that take on Atkins as a lifestyle eat meat, yes, but they also eat plenty of vegetables, greens, etc. They do cut down carbs to a level that will benefit health and weightloss. Once through the induction phase, moderation, as you mentioned, is actually a key part of the plan. It is a common misconception that Atkins is all about animal protein and nothing else. People that do it this way are not doing it properly.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:38 AM   #10

tjennings HB User

[QUOTE=Korn]

I think the most obvious case of someone being hurt because of Atkins is Dr. Atkins himself. He died of HEART PROBLEMS, not the fall like his pr people fabricated to keep his empire from crumbling and losing the millions of dollars his products generate each year.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #11

wearesiamese HB User

[QUOTE=tjennings]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korn

I think the most obvious case of someone being hurt because of Atkins is Dr. Atkins himself. He died of HEART PROBLEMS, not the fall like his pr people fabricated to keep his empire from crumbling and losing the millions of dollars his products generate each year.
Really? Is that right? Where did you get the "inside scoop" that he really died of heart problems? Further, millions of people die every year of heart problems, some of it brought on by diet, smoking, age, heredity... you name it. You must be personally acquainted with Dr. Atkins' physician, then, to (a) know that he didn't die from a fall, and (b) that Dr. Atkins' eating style was a direct cause of his "heart problems." We will all die sometime... sometimes the heart is simply done working, no matter what you ate or what you did. Please do enlighten us... I for one would be interested in the evidence you have regarding the behind the scenes informatin regarding the doctor's death.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:50 AM   #12

tjennings HB User

No, I did not know Dr. Atkins personally, and my "inside scoop" came from the numerous articles I read and news reports I heard after his death, which I'm sure most everyone else read and heard as well. He died from a blood clot. It is a well known fact that blood clots are common with people who have excessively high cholesterol. Doesn't Atkins promise no negative effect on cholesterol levels?
Also, do you remember when he was hospitalized in 2002 for cardiac arrest? Quite a few heart related conditions for someone who is supposedly the be-all-end-all authority of everything heart related.
I am simply voicing my opinion that this diet is not healthy. Just read some of these posts. Headaches, constipation, insomnia in the beginning.... heart disease in the end.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #13

wearesiamese HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjennings
No, I did not know Dr. Atkins personally, and my "inside scoop" came from the numerous articles I read and news reports I heard after his death, which I'm sure most everyone else read and heard as well. He died from a blood clot. It is a well known fact that blood clots are common with people who have excessively high cholesterol. Doesn't Atkins promise no negative effect on cholesterol levels?
Also, do you remember when he was hospitalized in 2002 for cardiac arrest? Quite a few heart related conditions for someone who is supposedly the be-all-end-all authority of everything heart related.
I am simply voicing my opinion that this diet is not healthy. Just read some of these posts. Headaches, constipation, insomnia in the beginning.... heart disease in the end.
Hi. My point is this... He wasn't a young man when he died. Many elderly people have heart conditions whether they eat junk or they are the pinnacle of health. As for the blood clot... one of the reasons people are checked out by their doctor when they've had a concussion is to make sure that a blood clot did not occur as a result of the injury. You don't know, and I don't know, the cause of his death. For every article you find stating that he died as a result of his regimen, I can find an article that disputes it. Most people that follow his low carb plan do not suffer from headaches, constipation, etc. ONCE THEY ARE OUT OF INDUCTION, which is a two week period. The posts you are referring to are from people who are going through carb withdrawal at the beginning of the program. I felt like crap the first week, and have felt great since. Additionally, many people on the plan report improved cholesterol levels after having been on the plan for a period of time. We don't know why he died. So why tell everyone that he died from being on his plan?

Old 01-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #14

Korn HB User

I've been on atkins 4 days and I feel better than ever

...although I've always been pretty much a meat eater

Old 01-17-2004, 05:24 PM   #15
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

I actually tried the Atkin's diet twice, and it did not work for me. I have Celiac Disease (i.e. I cannot digest any foods that contain wheat, barley, rye, oats, spelt, etc...which most commercial foods contain to some degree). Since I could not eat a lot of grains, I thought why not give this Atkin's thing a whirl, as it somewhat coinicided with my dietary restrictions. Well, I stuck to it (Atkins) like nobody's business and did not see any positive results. First of all, I was constipated as hell. Secondly, I felt extremely weak and "cloudy". Thirdly, I did not lose much weight on it. Finally, I became *very* sick on the diet. Now, keep in mind that I am a pretty slim person and did not need to lose any weight. However, I thought this would help, in conjunction with my exercise, to tone up. Nothing, nada! I tried this diet twice in my life, and hated it. Once I started to reintegrate some carbs back into my diet, I felt great!

Since that time, I began to eat normally... however now have gradually phased meat out of my diet. I do not like meat much, anyway...largely due to ATKINS!!! Go figure. After my stint with sickness following Atkins, I could not even walk by the meat aisle in the grocery store without heaving. Ever since, I have not been a big meat eater. Now, with my vegetarian diet, I feel great and look great! Although I still have a lot of food restrictions, grains still being a large portion of them, I am still able to carry on a vegetarian diet.

Just my two cents...

Last edited by cricketchicket; 01-17-2004 at 05:28 PM.

Closed Thread