It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Question To anyone who eats 5-6 meals a day....

Hello Everybody,
Well, just like a lot of you, I've tried SSSOOOO many diets and diet pills, etc. to lose weight, and nothing has worked for me. I got my thyroid tested and apparently everything was fine with that, so I don't know what my problem is. I recently stopped working out because it wasn't doing ANYTHING for me--I wasn't gaining or losing inches or pounds, wasn't seeing any muscle defnitition and so on, so here's what I thought I'd try next: eating 5-6 small meals a day. I've read many posts on these wonderful message boards that say it has worked wonders for some people, and in all honesty the logics behind it seem to make complete sense.
I've got a question for the people who have already done this: Are there any side effects or anything that I should know about before I begin? Such as gaining a bit of weight before it starts to come off, or anything like that? Or is it usually straight weight loss? I'm going to try to get back into the habit of working out, but I'll start on this weight loss plan first. Right now, I'm eating about 2 larger (and they're not very big--something like a sandwich) meals a day and a couple of snacks. So I don't eat very much at all.... Anyways, if anybody has any advice for me, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!
Cassi

Old 01-06-2004, 07:59 AM   #2

Contessa HB User
Re: To anyone who eats 5-6 meals a day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassi
Hello Everybody,
Well, just like a lot of you, I've tried SSSOOOO many diets and diet pills, etc. to lose weight, and nothing has worked for me. I got my thyroid tested and apparently everything was fine with that, so I don't know what my problem is. I recently stopped working out because it wasn't doing ANYTHING for me--I wasn't gaining or losing inches or pounds, wasn't seeing any muscle defnitition and so on, so here's what I thought I'd try next: eating 5-6 small meals a day. I've read many posts on these wonderful message boards that say it has worked wonders for some people, and in all honesty the logics behind it seem to make complete sense.
I've got a question for the people who have already done this: Are there any side effects or anything that I should know about before I begin? Such as gaining a bit of weight before it starts to come off, or anything like that? Or is it usually straight weight loss? I'm going to try to get back into the habit of working out, but I'll start on this weight loss plan first. Right now, I'm eating about 2 larger (and they're not very big--something like a sandwich) meals a day and a couple of snacks. So I don't eat very much at all.... Anyways, if anybody has any advice for me, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!
Cassi
Hi Cassi
Have you ever thought that maybe you're not eating enough? You should eat no less than 1200 to 1500 calories a day or your body tends to shut down and go into starvation mode which will make you gain weight and if you're exercising you probably need around 1800 calories a day. As far as eating 5 to 6 meals a day, try to eat a protein and a carbohydrate with each meal and veggies and fruit at least twice a day. Portion control is extremely important also. You don't necessarily have to measure your food, simply think of a portion of protein as being the size of the palm of your hand or a deck of cards and a portion of veggies as the size of your fist. Also, don't quite exercising! Not only will it make you feel better but studies have shown that exercise slows the aging process! I am a firm believer in this. I started doing aerobics 18 years ago and seven years ago starting lifting weights. I just had my 40th birthday but most people think I'm around 30. Whatever you do, hang in there and don't give up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Inactive

moreen83 HB User

Before the holiday started I spent two weeks eating six meals a day and I lost eight pounds...now, I did gain back that weight plus some due to holiday binging, but I started up the six meals a day diet again yesterday and I feel great! In the beginning you'll most likely just loose water weight, but trust me, you see results. After the first two weeks, my body started slowing down and I lost an additional pound the following week, which is healthy. You;'re only supposed to loose one-two pounds a week. Just an FYI, you won't see quick results, persay if you were on Atkins, only because this is a diet that can be followed for life. It's healthy and you can pretty much eat what you want. Here's my plan:

- Multi Grain Cheerios or Grape Nuts with 2% milk
- Nutri Grain bar
- Turkey Sandwich or a salad with dry tuna
- non-fat yoplait yogurt
- if I have work I eat a 6in subway turkey hoagie for dinner, if I'm home, I eat whatever my mom makes just in moderation
- snack...if I'm hungry, which I usually am not...I eat low-fat popcorn or have a cup of hot cocoa.

good luck!

Old 01-06-2004, 02:15 PM   #4
Inactive

SparkleBuggy HB User

To be quite honest, eating 5-6 smaller meals a day (every 2-3 hrs.) will help weight loss much faster, than only eat 2-3 large meals. Why, when you are constantly eating, you are keeping your blood (glucose) levels up, causing your metabolism to constantly burn. If you only eat a few times a day, your body says, oh we better save this for later, which turn it into fat (BAD). This is called starvation mode, this will even cause some people to gain weight.

This is when you need to sit back and take a good look at everything you have done in the past. Here are some things you may want to consider to look at:
-What you are consuming (food journal)
-The type of exercise/duration
-Enough food throughout the day
-Not the right amounts of certain foods
-How much water

In order to loose weight, you have to do at least 30-45 minutes of cardio a day. Then again, you also have to watch certain foods (high carbs, high fats, and highly processed foods). A long w/ cardio, I would weight train at least 3 days a week. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories your burn. So, don't go by what the scales says, b/c muscle ways more than fat. Depending on what you comsumed the day before, you could gain or lose a few pounds. Anything w/ high sodium or food that retain water, will cause your weight to go up and down.

As far as food, I would eat more proteins and less carbs. I would highly recommend not eating anything w/ white flour (white bread, white rice, potato chips, corn chips, white pasta, etc.) or anything w/ hydrogenated oils. Also, be sure to eat at least 4-6 small meals a day. This will help speed up your metabolism, causing you to burn more calories. Always be sure to eat breakfast! Your body can't function w/ out food, just like a car won't run w/out gas. If you don't, there isn't any fuel to boost your metabolism. So, be sure to jump start the metabolism in the am.

Snack:
For a mid-morning snack, eat a piece of fuit w/ some nuts. You can also take some cottage w/ fresh fruit. Try not to use can fruits, they are higher in calories and carbs.
For mid-afternoon snack, take a handful of nuts along w/ some cheese. You could also have another piece of fruit. I even take a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter and eat it off the spoon (very filling). You generally want something to hold you over. So, don't go overboard w/ calories. Just remember, the more sugar or carbs you consume, the hungier you will become. If you don't have protein w/ every meal, the feeling of being full will not last.

When working out, be sure to drink plenty of water. You should take half of your body weight and drink that in ounces. Yes, it seems a lot, but that's what it takes. When eating before and after a workout, be sure it's carbs (apple or bananna) before the workout for energy and protein/carbs (protein bar or shake) after the workout to help rebuild the muscles.

Good Luck, it takes time!

Old 01-06-2004, 03:51 PM   #5

Korn HB User

you have to take protein after weight training or your muscles won't build up?

Old 01-07-2004, 12:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I really appreciate it. I have heard that you should take some sort of protein in after working out, to produce muscle but I've never taken a protein supplement or anything like that, on a regular basis after a workout and about 3 years ago when worked out (meaning with weights), I could see very good muscle definition. So I don't know if this has to do with age or what... I'm only 20 but maybe that's a possibility. Anyway, I did eat 5 smaller meals today, and it wasn't too much of a hassle or anything so, I'm going to continue and see where this takes me. Thanks again!

Closed Thread