It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User
Parents- please read and respond

Hi,
My husband and I both have battled overweight issues our whole lives, and he was a chubby child. I got chubby around 9 years old. We work very hard to stay slim. I know genetics play a huge role in our childs weight. I read that a child has an 80% chance of being fat if both parents are overweight. So, does this mean our daughter will be twice as overweight since BOTH of us are overweight? Does this mean she will be bigger than both my husband and I since it is coming from BOTH sides? Our daughter is a big eater so I know we have a hard road ahead of us. She constantly asks for food. She is only 22 months old and throws fits for food constantly. We feed her healthy foods but she is a bottomless pit. She's not overweight as of right now. I need some advice and also would like to know if she is likely to be TWICE as big as my husband and I since we have obesity on BOTH sides of the family, not just one.

Also, since it is much harder for boys to get overweight than girls, and my husband was a fat child, does this mean my daughter is even MORE likely to be bigger than he was? I figure when a boy is overweight, he must have really BAD genes.

Thanks alot.

PS We are doing the right things to keep her weight healthy, my questions are not meant to get responses on how to prevent obesity. We are doing what we can.

Old 01-08-2004, 08:07 AM   #2
(female)

karen430 HB User
Re: Parents- please read and respond

I really don't know much about this, and I'm not a parent myself, but I don't think that because you and your husband are both overweight that it will make your child DOUBLE the size of you and your husband. If she is only 22 months old, she is probably asking for food because her body is telling her that she is hungry. She is a young, healthy, growing child that needs to eat in order to be these things. I am discouraging you from worrying about the weight of your child at such a young age, and am hoping that you don't put such an emphasis on this for her as she gets older. Again, I am no expert and I do not have children, but I don't think there is much need to worry at such a young age. Instead, try to teach her good eating habits young. When she wants a snack, make it fruit and veggies. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
(female)

karen430 HB User

Also, maybe you could just talk to your child's pediatrician about your concerns. They would know best.

Old 01-08-2004, 08:42 AM   #4

beebop_71 HB User

I have 4 kids, 2 boys, 8 and 10, 2 girls, 2 and 3. As toddlers, they ate/eat a lot. My 10 yo still outeats me, and is very skinny. My 8yo doesn't eat as much, is still thin, but built more stocky than his brother. He was a chubby baby and toddler. Not overweight, but in the 95th percentile for weight and 70th for height. Now he is 60th for height and 80th for weight. They are both very active kids.

My girls are both small, but my 3yo is chubbier right now, and she is a big eater. She is built more like my 8yo, but I do not worry about her weight. As long as they all stay very active, they will be fine. My MIL is very overweight, as is my hubby's niece. In that situation, our niece's weight could have been helped. She eats whatever she wants-which is junk food-whenever she wants and is a couch potato. She is only 9 and I feel horrible for her.

Just keep in mind that it is very important to be teaching her good eating habits now, while she is young. You have control over what goes into her body, and can make sure she is eating right. If you and your hubby have bad eating habits, though, IMO, it will be a bigger factor in whether or not she is overweight. Kids learn by example. Keep her active and eating right and she will be ok.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #5

Gangof4 HB User

Even more importantly than correct eating.... Make sure your kids are getting plenty of exercise everyday.. Getting that instilled in them early on is just as important as paying attention to eating habits.

Closed Thread