It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #1

MaryJet HB User
Unhappy Salmon scare..help

I need your help guys, I'm so freaked out about the Salmon having toxins in them that increases your risk of getting cancer later in life. I have been taking Salmon Oil pills for the last four years, every day, because I thought I was doing a good thing. I thought the omega 3 was good for heart and lung health, shoot, now I'm so petrified that the oil came from the same fish that are polluted with toxins. How do I find out if the pills are safe? Can anyone offer any advice?

Mary

Old 01-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #2

Invincible HB User
Re: Salmon scare..help

Mary - on your supplement packaging, it should tell you that it has been screened for pollutants/metals etc..

Fish oils normally come from non-farmed fish.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User

[QUOTE=MaryJet]I need your help guys, I'm so freaked out about the Salmon having toxins in them that increases your risk of getting cancer later in life. I have been taking Salmon Oil pills for the last four years, every day, because I thought I was doing a good thing. I thought the omega 3 was good for heart and lung health, shoot, now I'm so petrified that the oil came from the same fish that are polluted with toxins. How do I find out if the pills are safe? Can anyone offer any advice?

Mary that's like saying hot dogs will give you cancer if you eat too many and drinking diet coke can lead to MS later in life. Hype and paranoia that's all it is. There is no evidence to prove that salmon has enough toxins to cause cancer. If they were so unhealthy they would be banned from the fish markets. Anyways I don't think you eat salmon too often to even worry about such a inconsequential thing.

As for Omega 3,6 or 9...shortage of Omega 3 in the diet can disrupt the balance of Essential Fatty Acids in the body. If you do take an Omega 3 pill make sure Vitamin E is also included. Adding Vitamin E will prevent oxidation.

Scientific interest in Omega-3 fatty acids and fish oils increased greatly when it was realized that population groups who consumed fatty fish had considerably lower mortality rates from cardiac and circulatory diseases than the general population. It was determined that the oils in these fish provided the beneficial effects. Over 5000 scientific papers have been published dealing with and documenting the benefits of Omega-3 activated fish oils.

Hope this helped some

Old 01-10-2004, 07:08 AM   #4

MaryJet HB User

Thankyou for your responses, yes you have helped. Do you think I should continue to take them? Would you? Should I switch to something else to get the omega 3 fatty acids?
Mary

Old 01-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #5

Korn HB User

oooooh there's nothing to worry about, it's probably some environmentalist/animal rights plan to get rid of salmon farms *cries...poor fishies*. I eat salmon quite a bit, but now that I heard this news I'm going to be eating a lot more...just like when they started {deleted } about that really old canadian cow that was going to be used in dog food that had mad cow.

Last edited by Korn; 01-18-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

I just bought my fish oil today at the health food store. I asked the worker where it was and he pointed me to two brands that purify the oils. It says on the bottle "purified by molecular distillation". Try not to worry. I was watching the news that night too. We eat salmon on occation because I thought it was good for you. The truth is, We will all die of something at some point. I am taking it as a scare tactic. No telling who funded the research for that info. We live in an evil world where the almighty dollar reigns in many hearts. I believe it was someone who wants to sabotage the fish industry, since the sales have probibly gone up since it is suppose to be good for the heart.(beef industry?,just a guess). Fear is a great marketing ploy, along with humor and sex. I see shows like 20/20 use it all the time. Use it as a red flag. If fear is used to manipulate you, question it!

Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJet
I need your help guys, I'm so freaked out about the Salmon having toxins in them that increases your risk of getting cancer later in life. I have been taking Salmon Oil pills for the last four years, every day, because I thought I was doing a good thing. I thought the omega 3 was good for heart and lung health, shoot, now I'm so petrified that the oil came from the same fish that are polluted with toxins. How do I find out if the pills are safe? Can anyone offer any advice? Mary
There is a pharmaceutical grade omega 3 oil which goes through a more involved purification process.

Ps; Atlantic Salmon is safer to eat. Avoid farmed salmon.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:49 AM   #8

nenofury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJet
I need your help guys, I'm so freaked out about the Salmon having toxins in them that increases your risk of getting cancer later in life. I have been taking Salmon Oil pills for the last four years, every day, because I thought I was doing a good thing. I thought the omega 3 was good for heart and lung health, shoot, now I'm so petrified that the oil came from the same fish that are polluted with toxins. How do I find out if the pills are safe? Can anyone offer any advice?

Mary

Just Enviro-Nazi propaganda. There has never been a single health effect associated with consumption of farmed salmon despite countless people eating millions of tons of it over the last 20 years. Even the specific chemcials mentioned like PCBs and dioxins have never been scientifically shown to cause harm in humans at typical exposure levels. This also applies to the urban legends about Mercury in Tuna. The only reason to avoid farmed salmon is that it probably doesn't taste as good as fresh caught wild salmon.

Last edited by nenofury; 01-23-2004 at 09:51 AM.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #9

MaryJet HB User

Well thank you all for responding. I have health anxiety, this is why I take vitamins and salmon oil. When the news broke regarding the contaminants in salmon I just panicked, I mean it was all over the news here in Toronto for days, it's still posted on the internet. Why do they do this if it is not a real danger to people? Is it all about getting viewers? I'm tired of hearing these horror stories, they really make me anxious.
Who to believe?

Thanx again, Mary

Old 01-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #10
Mara

[QUOTE=MaryJet]

You may want to read up on the recent trial report. There are enough studies with information on the subject. Molecular biology, chemistry, anatomy & physiology, genetics are sciences. Studies are ongoing and information is available so take it for what it is worth. Do challenge information you come across and make it hold water, something written does not make it credible or accurate. That said, personal preference & choices you make after gathering & considering information, the source to reach some determination is a normal activity. Some digest it well, others don’t. There will always be something a person is not aware of that poses a threat. When it comes to light, consider yourself informed. It does get out of hand when information is misunderstood or misinterpreted. Don’t let an article put you in panic mode. Treat it as a stepping stone to the next level and be selective with your sources of information.

Why do we filter our water, wear stronger sun block, protest chemical dumping? There are real threats to the environment that does not only affect wildlife by genetic mutation, displacement or extinction...The earth is a limited resource and once depleted or contaminated, there won’t be an option to reverse fortune. What's the point of study? Protection, maintain quality resource, preserve & replenish for future generations.

Daily toxic chemical dumping into a river(i.e.: from a aluminum processing plant) has polluted it, causing genetic mutation. The 3, 4 or more legged frog or the fish that changed sex over time and lost the ability to reproduce, or the bird with a double bill, extra digits in there claws…but I guess that means nothing to humankind. When toxins are dumped and there is not disclosure a pregnant woman would not have interest or care about exposure to toxins (affects on growing fetus and self) because she is unaware and uninformed of the potential threat of chromosomal defect. Such a river was condemned & closed for years because it is polluted by the high levels of toxins. Levels will remain high for years to come, while those chemicals are still dumped.

Is there a risk when we are exrayed? Why does the exray technician stand behind the shield as the exray is being taken? To reduce exposure. Is carbon monoxide an odorless, colorless deadly gas? Why do they sell C02 detectors? Exposure. Maybe we should let children eat lead paint, expose them to fumes or some other toxic agent. Why let information cloud our minds. Data will continue to be forthcoming. What you do with it is up to you. Forewarned is forearmed. You have an open mind and that's a good thing because closed minds are often small & limited.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:28 PM   #11

MaryJet HB User

Hi Gemi, I just read your post and I wanted to say that you make alot of sense, I agree totally. You make it sound so logical, and that's what my problem is, I have panic/anxiety disorder.
Thankyou.
Mary

Closed Thread