It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #1

Steve of Norway HB User
Angry Cramps from Red Meat?

Lately, after eating homemade hamburgers or steaks, my stomach starts gurgling and really just feel "cramped"...is it the grease or fat in red meat or is it something else? It doesn't happen when I eat other proteins like turkey or chicken or roast beef.

Anyone else have this happen out nowhere?

Old 01-17-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
Inactive

Tlarnla HB User
Re: Cramps from Red Meat?

Sometimes I get that too (nasty stomach aches after eating red meat).

I don't know the reason for it, but it could be an intestinal problem. The intestines are filled with bacteria. The bad ones cause stomach problems like constipation, diarrea, and tummy aches. Unfortunately, the bad bacteria love red meat, so it helps them multiply. But that same red meat kills the good bacteria. (They prefer yogurt and oligosaccarides.) I don't know if that's the reason for the stomach cramps, but it might have something to do with it.

I don't think red meat actually gives most people stomach aches though. You're the only person besides myself that I've ever heard complain about that problem. Maybe we have some digestive problem that makes it difficult for us to digest red meat. Or perhaps our intestines are overly sensitive and they're trying to send us a message.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2004, 11:33 AM   #3

Chrissy F. HB User

Oooh.. I usually get cramps from eating unhealthy foods, so maybe you have that with red meat! Which means it's probably very unhealthy so you should stop eating it or it just a little of it.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:34 AM   #4

Chrissy F. HB User

Amazing discovery. :P

Old 01-18-2004, 11:37 AM   #5

Steve of Norway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy F.
Oooh.. I usually get cramps from eating unhealthy foods, so maybe you have that with red meat! Which means it's probably very unhealthy so you should stop eating it or it just a little of it.
Red meat, unhealthy? No way...lol...although I do limit my intake.

Old 01-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #6

LizzardLady HB User

It happens to me too - once in awhile. I think it's the grease sometimes. I think I have some food allergies or sensitivities, so I assume it's that too. I found not suffing myself helps.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:29 AM   #7

April99 HB User

I always get cramps from eating red meat, and sometimes from eating other types of meat as well, like chicken. But that depends on how much I eat, and in what proportion to other foods.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, According to the original post...You get cramps from homemade hamburger, but not beef pot roast or other meats? This also sounds like you're saying that fast food hamburgers have no affect either, because you point out that the hamburgers are homemade. Pot roast is usually chuck and hamburger can be ground round or ground chuck. Ground round is leaner than chuck, so it can't be the fat. (Pot roast is chuck too.) I would say the problem is how well done the meat is. Homemade hamburgers are really thick and fried in a pan or broiled or put on the barbie. Some homemade hamburgers even contain eggs. Since they are so thick, they really do not get fully cooked so you are actually feeling cramping caused from the still living bacteria in the meat. Pot roast is cooked until it gets really tender and almost falls apart, so it is well done and the bacteria is distroyed/killed from the long cooking time.

Closed Thread