It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User
I dont like milk...

is it ok to drink chocolate milk?? im still getting the same amount of calcium right? i drink the non fat milk one its good yum!

p.s
im 22 how many glasses of milk should i drink oer day? if im not drinking milk should i take a chewable calcium pill? since im not drinking milk could this be causing my leg pain and back pains during exercise?

Old 01-19-2004, 06:56 AM   #2

Chrissy F. HB User
Re: I dont like milk...

You could also drink soyabeanmilk, I like to drink the one where u have to add soybeanmilk powder to hot water, it's really yummy. The first time you drink it, it tastes pretty funny, but it's really good And you can get calcium from other stuff but milk, like yoghurt 0% fat. You shouldn't take in TOO much calcium though, because calcium cuts out magnesium which your body also needs (for what, I don't know, does anyone else know? I'm interested).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

magnesium plays a role in bone health and heart and nerve function. a deficiency in magnesium can manifest as high blood pressure (hypertension) or hyper-irritability.

magnesium is available in protein rich foods. it is important to get some, but not overdo it. a reason to be wary of high protein diets is that excess magnesium can cause weakness and kidney damage.

also, the danger with getting too much calcium is reaching toxicity and having calcification in your organs. usually, too much calcium only occurs through added calcium supplements unless you're prone to stones (i.e. kidney stones, gallstones).

a good estimate of calcium to shoot for daily, according to my nutrition professor, depends on who you are and what your specific needs are, but is probably in the range of anywhere from 800-1500mg/day. and you'll almost certainly get sufficient magnesium if about 15% of your daily caloric intake is from protein.

hope that helps.

Last edited by junkbondtrader; 01-19-2004 at 09:31 AM.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Do you like yogurt?

Old 01-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #5

Chrissy F. HB User

Ok, so I'm not the calory or whatever counting type. So do you think cornflakes with milk for breakfast, and fish for dinner is good? And at night soyabeanmilk. I do eat more than that but those are the only things that include a lot of calcium and magnesium (I think). Am I gettin enough of both?

Old 01-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

green leafy vegetables and broccoli are also an excellent source of calcium, as are tofu, fortified soymilk, rice milk, almond milk and oat milk, beans/legumes, nuts and seeds, especially almonds and sesame seeds, figs, calcium fortified OJ, and many other foods besides dairy products. so it's not hard to live without dairy products and get plenty of calcium if you don't like them or don't want to consume them for other reasons.

and to answer your original question, regime, there is as much calcium in chocolate milk as in regular milk as far as i know, but you are also getting a lot of added sugar with the chocolate milk.

Last edited by junkbondtrader; 01-19-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Closed Thread