It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #1

looseygoosey HB User
Does not anyone do low fat anymore???

With all the low carb diets I have tried in the last 4 years-and failed and have gotten even fatter, by the way, I was wondering if anyone does low FAT anymore? I mean, it always worked for me in the past and I don't know why I haven't thought about trying it again. When I did do 20-25 fg a day, and worked out, I lost the weight. I didn't keep track of calories at all and was successful.

It was when I started trying the low carb diets that I put all the weight back on! I think I have been brainwashed into thinking low carb is the ONLY WAY! I do know I was ALOT more healthy and skinnier than I am now! I'm going back to my old way of thinking and enjoy more of what I'm eating also!

Any other low fat counters out there??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 06:00 AM   #2

Chrissy F. HB User
Re: Does not anyone do low fat anymore???

Yes, me... kind of... I'm not really on a diet though, I'm just being careful with what I eat I do eat fish and stuff a lot though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 06:01 AM   #3

Chrissy F. HB User

Good for you! I'm not a very big fan of low carbs myself either.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:02 AM   #4

Chrissy F. HB User

I hope you'll lose the weight again And sorry I use so much space, but I keep thinking of something else to say.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:21 AM   #5

tjennings HB User

[QUOTE=looseygoosey]With all the low carb diets I have tried in the last 4 years-and failed and have gotten even fatter, by the way, I was wondering if anyone does low FAT anymore?

I do low fat. I am 5'7" and was up to 180 4 years ago, started counting my fat grams and exercising and I am now at 132.

I have never counted calories or carbs; however, I do try to stay away from processed foods and foods with a lot of sugar, other than fruit. I also eat lots of fish and lean protein. I really think this is the way to go in order to be able to lose weight, get lean and fit, and stay that way for life. Of course, you have to throw exercise and lots of water into the mix!

I think if you had success before, you will again. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
Inactive

Tlarnla HB User

I keep my fat intake down too. I don't actually count it though. I just keep it down, especially the unhealthy fats.

I gain weight and my fat percentage tends to go up when eating foods that are high in fats, so I like to avoid consuming too much.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:02 PM   #7

looseygoosey HB User

When I did lowfat I did drink alot of water-but I remember having sweets with no fat and it never hindered my weight loss. I'm sure I had LOTS of calories! (Right now I'm trying to sleep train my 9 month old, but will soon get back on track when I can get some serious zzzzzzzzz's. I have had one night literally of continuous sleep in 9 months-but that's another board. That's my excuse for not starting this lowfat diet right now!!)

Old 01-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
(female)

BabblingBrooke HB User

It is funny that you brought up this subject, I was going to post something similar to this. I have always been one to read packages for the fat grams, never paying attention to anything else (ex. carbs) I have always been a high carb eater ( I love my pasta!) but have somehow maintained a pretty slim figure. Around the new year, I decided to follow all this hype of eating low carb and replacing with protein to see if I could shed a couple lbs and prevent my body from gaining the usual couple lbs I gain in the winter. It seems to have worked against me though, in about 2 weeks I have gained about 8 lbs, the amount that I usually gain in a whole winter and there's still a few months to go! Maybe it takes the body a while to adjust? I don't know, but at this rate I think I will go back to my regular eating habits! Pasta, here I come!! Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 01-21-2004, 08:03 PM   #9

leeintx HB User

lowfat is my middle name....i eat lowfat everyday and on saturdays i treat myself to anything my heart desires i go off of lowfat on saturdays and start lowfat back on sundays.....i dont have any luck with the atkins diet i gain weight from the fat. im 33yrs old im 5'7 and weigh 135lbs. its hard to keep the weight off. sometimes i cheat on the weekdays and then feel guilty but tomorrow is another day..i have problems in fluid building up on me. so i try to watch my sodium also....

Old 01-22-2004, 10:46 AM   #10

nenofury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by looseygoosey
With all the low carb diets I have tried in the last 4 years-and failed and have gotten even fatter, by the way, I was wondering if anyone does low FAT anymore? I mean, it always worked for me in the past and I don't know why I haven't thought about trying it again. When I did do 20-25 fg a day, and worked out, I lost the weight. I didn't keep track of calories at all and was successful.

It was when I started trying the low carb diets that I put all the weight back on! I think I have been brainwashed into thinking low carb is the ONLY WAY! I do know I was ALOT more healthy and skinnier than I am now! I'm going back to my old way of thinking and enjoy more of what I'm eating also!

Any other low fat counters out there??

The low-fat diet is generally unhealthy. You lost weight because lower fat equals lower calories. But your body needs lots of fat to be healty. I'm not talking McDonald's fat here. EFA's, MCT's, etc.. are all neccessary. Low carbing doesn't work for many people because they eat too much fat which equals more calories. Fat has 9 calories per gram, Carbs and Protein have 4 calories per gram.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #11
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenofury
The low-fat diet is generally unhealthy. You lost weight because lower fat equals lower calories. But your body needs lots of fat to be healty. I'm not talking McDonald's fat here. EFA's, MCT's, etc.. are all neccessary. Low carbing doesn't work for many people because they eat too much fat which equals more calories. Fat has 9 calories per gram, Carbs and Protein have 4 calories per gram.

Lets here it for the good fats!!!! Saturated fats get a bad rap for undue reasons. Mainly in the name of profits!! Canola, Soy, Corn, Cotton Seed, Vegetable,these oils are killers, they are very unhealthy. Trans fats are the ones that cause disease along with the above mentioned oils. Butter and dairy fats are very healthy as animal fats are as well.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:46 PM   #12

leeintx HB User

how much fat and calories are you supposed to take in a day to maintain your weight?

Closed Thread