It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 03:59 PM   #1

Pixie1979 HB User
advice please.

I have been on Adkins for a week now. Lost 1 whole pound. Been hearing lately that this diet is not as safe as we all thought. SO....I was wondering if anyone could recommend a SAFE diet to follow.

CW-223
GW-180

Old 01-20-2004, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: advice please.

Hello, No matter what diet anyone recommends on this board, someone will deem it unsafe. That means that the best diet for you may be the one that your doctor recommends and oversees. Some people report no problem with the Atkins diet, but the FDA warns about the high sat. fat content that is in the diet may have a long-term negative effect on your cholesterol level....The low-fat diet works great for my sister and me, but the Atkins people and some health experts warn that the body does need a certain amount of fat for certain bodily functions like sight. (At least 10%, but no more than 30% fat.) The South Beach diet is supposed to be the "safer" answer to the Atkins diet, but can people stick with it. Vegetarian diets ward off a number of diseases, but there are people out there that claim soy beans and soy products of any kind are dangerous.

I really feel that the bottom line is what is healthy for your body is a diet that you feel healthy on and have healthy results, since everyone is different. Try a diet that sound healthy to you and keep a check on your weight and blood work, then you'll know what is right for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 06:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I agree . . . the best plan is one that works for you, that makes sense to you, that you can sustain, and that you are comfortable with.

From what I have been reading, though, it is the more recent studies that are showing that Atkins is safer than many had previously thought.

I don't do Atkins, but have found the low carb approach is what works for me.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2004, 06:50 AM   #4

Chrissy F. HB User

You should read this thread [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=137790[/url]

Old 01-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #5

jamahsan HB User

Hi,

I have been doing the South Beach Diet since August 2003. I really love this way of eating, it has healed me in so many ways; mind body and spirit.

I chose to follow the SBD because it made sense to me, and it looked really easy to follow, and really healthy. At this point it is just second nature to eat this way, I made it a lifestyle change. I am on Phase 3 of the plan, which is the maintanance phase. I have learned what works for me. I didn't follow the book to a T, I really made it my own.

I also workout 5 days a week with 30 mins of cardio, and two of those days I throw in an hour of body sculpting.

I completely agree with the other posters, you need to find something that works for you, something you can stick with.

If you have any questions, I'm here for you.

Take Care,
Jamah
(143-112-....)

Closed Thread