It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2004, 08:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Blood Type Diet . . . cricketchicket

You brought this up on another thread, where a response probably would have gotten lost in other . . . discussion.

I know some about it . . . but mostly about blood type A. AB is, I think, the least studied since it is the rarest type. But my understanding is that ABs share some of the characteristics of both type A and type B. Type A is the one least able to digest protein; Bs can have some types; so AB is somewhere in the middle. I know the problem with As and protein is a deficit of stomach acid.

Peter D'Adamo has put together quite a extensive, all-encompassing theory, and I do think it has a lot going for it. But there are quirks, too. One thing that comes up all the time on type A forums, is people feeling that the low protein diet is not quite right for them (I am among them). Some speculate either that there are some individual differences (due to other factors?); or that it is possible to supplement the stomach acid. I think eating fermented foods regularly goes a long way to help the body digest protein.

But these are just general comments . . . certainly not specific to Celiac. I don't know of anyone with Celiac using the blood type diet. Have you ever read Elaine Gottschall's Breaking the Vicious Cycle? It outlines a rather restrictive regime that presumably heals a number of GI track problems. I know people how claim success with colitis and IBS, but not so far with Celiac.

Eat Right is an interesting plan and certainly worth a try. Plus, digestive track issues is one area where quite a number of people have had improvements after following it for a while.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
(female)

cricketchicket HB User
Re: Blood Type Diet . . . cricketchicket

Thanks for the info!

Would like to respond with a bit more spriteness this morning, but am a bit tired... *lol*...will do so later in the day.

I haven't done extensive reading on the Blood Type diet, which is why I am slightly intrigued by it. I think you're right in that no "diet" is a cure-all and has pitfalls.

With that said, I do have a copy of Elaine Gottschall;s book, I bought two copies, and gave one to my parents. It outlines some really interesting points and extensively aadvocates a low-sugar diet, which is beneficial. I did try that way of eating for quite some time, but didn't stick with it as I felt quite tired and heavy from eating a lot of protein. However, I do like her emphasis on whole foods...a pattern of eating we *all* should adopt. This book was recommended to me by someone who had Crohn's Disease, and they found the plan to be quite beneficial to them. For some reason, though, I did not have the same success.

Anyway, thanks for your response!!

cricketchicket

Closed Thread