It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
(male)

rly723 HB User
Diet and peanut butter

hey everyone,
i've decided to go on a bulking phase for my routine, but also eat as healthy as i can..no sugar/junk foods..lots of veggies protein, and whole grains such as whole wheat bread/tortillas, oatmeal, and brown rice (maybe 2 times a week)
i need probably 15 lbs to lose , but also gain lean mass and muscle. i'll go on with this diet for about 4 months during my school sem and see what i can do..here's my daily plan

breakfast 7-8 am: 1/3 cp of oatmeal with 1/2 scoop of whey protein powder
3 egg whites, rice cake topped w/ 1 tbsp natural peanut butterand scoop of cottage cheese..mostly carbs are during breakfast or lunch

workout around 930-11...around 1130 post workout whey protein shake, grilled chicken with veggies and wohle wheat tortilla (8 g carbs)

class from 2-4 ..have a snack..maybe some veggies such as cucumber slices or soy beans

dinner_around 6: girlled fish, chicken, or beef with veggies

2 snacks per day: whey protein shake, veggies, or slices of turkey

any ideas or opinions about my diet would be appreciated..i''m trying to bulk up but not get real big..just lean mass.. also i'm trying to lower the carbs..like no fruit..mostly veggies and whole grains...also a bout peanut butter..i heard the natural one is healthy..maybe 2 tbsp a day..i have the 100% natural store brand pb..does that have any trans fats compared to the alittle more expensive brands..or are they the same..thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 10:19 AM   #2
(male)

rly723 HB User
Re: Diet and peanut butter

hey everyone,
i'd appreciate anyone's input on what eating plan has worked for them..i really want to change what foods i eat but not sure exactly which foods are necessary..anyways thanks for your time

Old 01-26-2004, 06:55 AM   #3

nenofury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rly723
hey everyone,
i'd appreciate anyone's input on what eating plan has worked for them..i really want to change what foods i eat but not sure exactly which foods are necessary..anyways thanks for your time
Stay away from peanut butter. Even the natural stuff can have negative effects on thyroid function. Stick with Brazil nuts or Almonds. Almond butter tastes great.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #4

DmanUK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenofury
Stay away from peanut butter. Even the natural stuff can have negative effects on thyroid function. Stick with Brazil nuts or Almonds. Almond butter tastes great.
You might want to pose your question in the Exercise forum. People like Naxis seem to be really good about breaking down diet for specific exercise and fitness goals.

D

Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenofury
Where did you get that info on thyroid and peanut butter? I have never heard of that before. Soy and raw spinach, raw broccoli and a few other raw veggies can cause a goiter but the peanutbutter is new to me.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #6

nenofury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirly
Where did you get that info on thyroid and peanut butter? I have never heard of that before. Soy and raw spinach, raw broccoli and a few other raw veggies can cause a goiter but the peanutbutter is new to me.
There are plenty of sources. Peanuts are goitrogens (foods that suppress thyroid function).

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Mustard
Kale
Turnips
Rape seed (Canola Oil)
Soy
Pine nuts
Millet
Peanuts

Old 01-28-2004, 09:33 PM   #7

Shane S HB User

Peanutbutter is a very good food for bulking, although it doesn't sound like your goal is to actually bulk. It sounds like you want to keep the protein high but calories low, in which case PB isn't the best idea. FWIW, there's not enough difference between natural and store peanutbutter that you really need natty unless you like it. Trans fat content is negligible.

High glycemic carbs are a good idea post workout. If you don't want to go that route, you need to at least add some low glycemic carbs with that protein shake. Pre-workout, too.

How much protein are you getting between the shake and the meal postworkout?

Last edited by Shane S; 01-28-2004 at 09:34 PM.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:12 AM   #8
(female)

SweetPuff HB User

I have never heard anything about the PB thing either. If you eat peanut butter the natural kind is better b/c it doesn't have the hydrogenated oils in it. It also tastes much fresher when you get used to it.
Someone mentioned Brazil Nuts...they are a great source for Selenium, but you only eat them about twice a week so you don't get an overdose of Selenium.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:36 AM   #9

Shane S HB User

A USDA/ARS study suggests that "The amount of trans-fat in peanut butter with 2% stabilizer is less than .0032 g, or 156 times less than what is needed to reach the 0 g trans-fat cut-off."

Old 02-13-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
Mara

Post Re: Diet-peanut butter, thyroid, goitrogens

I have elevated thyroid hormone levels, so in my search of foods to eat that would help control and lower thyroid hormone level production, conversion and so on naturally I came across Pb as an item to avoid... I still have a pb cookie once in a while but do end up avoiding it altogether because of the physical reactions , for me it's not worth it...unless the doctor puts me on an antithyroid medication again which I'm trying to avoid but think I'm losing this battle even with proper diet. Anyway, I posted the full excerpt because from what I read, for hypert's (like me) pb should be avoided, which sounds contradictory, so to clarify somewhat, read on...

GOITROGENS
Goitrogens are foods which suppress thyroid function...>>>>>>and...

>>>In normals, goitrogens can induce hypothyroidism and goiter.
>>>In hypos-hypothyroid, goitrogens can further depress thyroidal function and stimulate the growth of the thyroid (goiter).
>>>In hypers-hyperthyroids, goitrogens may help suppress thyroidal function until normal thyroidal functioning can be restored...

However, this may not be a good strategy. Goitrogens work by interfering with the thyroidal uptake of iodine. While many hypers try to limit thyroid output by iodine restriction, this strategy can backfire. Iodine restriction will cause the thyroid to increase in size (goiter) in an effort to filter more blood to get more iodine. When iodine is then re-introduced to the diet or accidentally ingested, the now larger thyroid gland has the capacity for greater thyroid hormone production.I do not believe that iodine restriction is a good long-term method for controlling thyroid hormone production. Therefore the consumption of goitrogens is not a good strategy. It is better to increase copper metabolism by supplementation of copper and the assisting nutrients. Once copper is replenished and copper metabolism is working properly, the body will tolerate iodine without increasing thyroid hormone production.
Many goitrogens are generally members of the brassica family. These include:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Mustard
Kale
Turnips
Rape seed (Canola Oil)>>>>>>>>>>fyi-read on: TOS (toxic oil syndrome)
Other goitrogens include:
Soy
Pine nuts
Millet
Peanuts

Brassica family vegetables not only inhibit thyroid production, but they also inhibit cancer growth. We know that sulfur, copper, and iron work closely together and that excessive sulfur can deplete copper and/or iron. The following study mentions that excessive kale consumption will cause anemia in cattle. Generally anemia is the result of low iron and/or copper. Also, foods and drugs that cause anemia also reduce cancer growth, indicating that the brassica vegetables might reduce cancer by inducing anemia.

Because copper and iron are so important for thyroid function, I don't think that it is advisable to eat plants of the brassica family. We have seen that the primary pre-condition for the production of thyroid disease is the onset of anemia. Brassica vegetables, with their high sulfur content, may be foods which induce anemia and consequently thyroid disease. Don't consider this the final word on these vegetables, but we will continue to look at this possibility....

badump-bump

Last edited by Gemi; 02-13-2004 at 10:01 AM.

Closed Thread