It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
(male)

david82165 HB User
Angry Stoumach Problems - Please Help

I have been getting distention/bloating in my stoumach quite often. I have gone to doctor after doctor and had test perform, however eveythings comes up normal. The distention in my stoucmach sometimes is so much that I look pregnent. The wierd thing is that when blaoted it is hard, not fat a mushy. I have low body fat but for some reason my stoumach is a problem. I also have infrequent bowel movements and I am always gassy.

I have tried going off foods, tried fiber products, and other things. I am running out of ideas. I can weigh 185 and a few hours later I can be bloated and way 195. I can feel it, my pants get tight and I get uncomfotable. It is like my whole body is retaing water. Sometomes my face even gets bloated

Can coffee or soda be causing this? What about fruit juices? Should I dring more water. I have a healthly diet.

Any help would me much appreciated.

Thank you,
David

Old 02-02-2004, 06:16 AM   #2

sweetficus HB User
Re: Stoumach Problems - Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by david82165
I have been getting distention/bloating in my stoumach quite often. I have gone to doctor after doctor and had test perform, however eveythings comes up normal. The distention in my stoucmach sometimes is so much that I look pregnent. The wierd thing is that when blaoted it is hard, not fat a mushy. I have low body fat but for some reason my stoumach is a problem. I also have infrequent bowel movements and I am always gassy.

I have tried going off foods, tried fiber products, and other things. I am running out of ideas. I can weigh 185 and a few hours later I can be bloated and way 195. I can feel it, my pants get tight and I get uncomfotable. It is like my whole body is retaing water. Sometomes my face even gets bloated

Can coffee or soda be causing this? What about fruit juices? Should I dring more water. I have a healthly diet.

Any help would me much appreciated.

Thank you,
David
I supppose you've excluded food allergies/intolerances, most common lactose/dairy, fatty/greasy foods (especially if you have problems w/pancreas), and gluten
If you have anxiety issues, inadvertent air swallowing can also cause it. Small factor, but don't use straws to drink
Also wearing pants that are too tight for you can cause gassy pain and bloating - well known phenomenon

Presumably you've had negative CT scan and barium GI studies (drink white liquid) including a small bowel follow through
Rarely a transient internal hernia or intussusseption can cause those symptoms but very difficult to diagnose as it comes and goes

That is very unusual to gain 10 lbs in a few hours w/o additional intake. if it were air, that would not weigh 10 lbs. And a couple of gallons of water can't be sucked in out of the air into your body. Maybe your scale is off or you're exaggerating/misrepresenting a little.
If you feel you are retaining water, that is a different problem from the gassy bloating

Everyone thinks they eat healthy but I think in general it's probably not so great (I eat chocolate and tortilla chips almost every day, although the rest of the day I'm pretty good), but if you have constipation then that's not a good indication of a healthy diet. Try eating a handful of baby carrots and a large apple every day w/ 8 glasses of water throughout the day. It's tasty, filling, and full of fiber and vitamins.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Stoumach Problems - Please Help

Hello, Bloating can be caused by salt/sodium intake and gassy foods. That means that the answer is yes to the soda. Sodas are both gassy and have a high sodium content. Other gassy foods are cabbage, beans, dairy, and potatoes. I am sure that you could probably find a list of gassy foods to avoid or eat less of by putting "gassy food list" in a search engine.

Closed Thread