It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

Marie84 HB User
Canned Vegetables

Hi, My name is Melissa, and I was wondering about canned vegetables. How much less better are they for you? Like, is it just like eating another processed food, or does it have some nutrients left? Are they good for you, or bad? Or are they just like eating salt and water?

Old 01-29-2004, 10:58 AM   #2

beebop_71 HB User
Re: Canned Vegetables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie84
Hi, My name is Melissa, and I was wondering about canned vegetables. How much less better are they for you? Like, is it just like eating another processed food, or does it have some nutrients left? Are they good for you, or bad? Or are they just like eating salt and water?
Heat destroys nutrients, and canned veggies are exposed to a lot of heat. I don't think it's as bad as eating processed food. Canned veggies are usually just veggies, water, salt. The order for best nutrition is fresh, frozen, then canned.

I don't buy canned veggies on a regular basis, but when I get something like tomato sauce, paste or refried beans, I read the label and look for the least amount of additives possible, like the refried beans just say 'black beans' and the tomato paste says 'tomatoes, salt'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Inactive

Nash-t HB User

Isn't it requaired by the FDA that food companys have to put the nutrition Facts on each and every can?...Amount per serving? on the back of the label?
1.Calories#
2.Total Fat #
3.Sodium #
4.Total Carbohydrate #
5.Dietary Fiber #
6.sugars #
7Protein #
8.Vitatims A #
9.Calcium#%
And a % of daily values based on a % of calories.

If the nutrients was cooked out of the veggies we all would be in a world of hurt...it has to leave some in them? sure fresh garden veggies are the best but what about us that don't have a garden and can't afford the fresh veggies down at our local market!

Old 02-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
Inactive

Nash-t HB User

I suppose we all would be in a "Vegatated mess" lol..just had to say that sorry.

to anwser your question Melissa I don't think by eating can veggies will hurt you the main thing is try not to boil them to long or cover them up and use a Microwave? obviously there boil to much at the factory!

Old 02-07-2004, 05:15 AM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

[QUOTE=Nash-t]I
If the nutrients was cooked out of the veggies we all would be in a world of hurt...it has to leave some in them? /QUOTE]

Actually that state of nutrition is unfortunately "in a world of hurt" as you put it. Food companies only care about profit NOT NUTRITION!!! If people think that they can trust processed foods made by the huge food companies to get proper nutrition then then are very sadly mistaken. Why is there a population of 60% overweight americans? Why is 20% obese? Why is the cost of medical insurance skyrocketing due to so many people becomming ill with diabetes,thyroid disorders,heart disease, autoimmune disorders? Nutrition is missing from our foods, and not to sound like an alarmist but it is going to get worse before it gets better until people start to demand more nutritious foods to buy. Trusting food companies to do the right thing is purely blind trust.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
Inactive

Nash-t HB User

I don't agree with you (sorry) The food companies do have to maintain there level of quailty because there inspeceted/tested by the FDA and if the FDA inspectors find them in viloation of the us food codes(proper nutrition) then they will be shut down. sure there in it for a profit...heck thats what any bussiness is in it for! (profit) not to make peoples health bad?

The reason in my opinion as to why there are so many people overweight and have disease ect,ect,, thats there choice(thats unfortunate sure) they just simply eat the wrong foods and consume way to much/ thats not the food compaines fault? is'it?

I'm sure some of the nutritions are missing but not all of them! if all of the nutritions where missing then they woud be shut down just takes a little common sense to figure that out!

People on welfafe or at free food banks get there "canned" food/ to feed there familys they just need to know how to cook them how much to serve them/proper portions/ect,ect

Medical Insurance/ well thats another storey /debatable? many many reasons why thats going up through the sky!

People just need to edeucate themself as to what and how much to eat and of corse get on some kind of exerise program or just do a few exerises in their home for 5 min a day.

Its very unfortunate that there some diseases out there that no one has control over? know matter how you eat or what you eat.

I mean... I've known people that has smoked all there life and never been sick a day in there life/and I've known people that don't smoke and there in and out of the hospital day in and day out?
I don't smoke but this is my point it's mainly all about freedom of choice! personally I don't think its right to sue a tabbaco co if you get sick? that was your choice to go buy that pack of ciggeretts in the first place/ well same thing about buying food and the way you eat it?....compaines do/ try to put their warnnings/ Facts on their labels....if we would all take the time to read it!

To me it is a great thing about our freedom living in Amercia/ OUR FREEDOM OF CHOICE!
Who ever said life was fair?

Last edited by Nash-t; 02-07-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Old 02-07-2004, 02:47 PM   #7
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash-t
I don't agree with you (sorry) The food companies do have to maintain there level of quailty because there inspeceted/tested by the FDA and if the FDA inspectors find them in viloation of the us food codes(proper nutrition) then they will be shut down. sure there in it for a profit...heck thats what any bussiness is in it for! (profit) not to make peoples health bad?

I'm sure some of the nutritions are missing but not all of them! if all of the nutritions where missing then they woud be shut down just takes a little common sense to figure that out!

Its very unfortunate that there some diseases out there that no one has control over? know matter how you eat or what you eat.

compaines do/ try to put their warnnings/ Facts on their labels....if we would all take the time to read it!

Who ever said life was fair?
Facts are facts. Big business is allowed to make profits (And I am entirely for capitalism, it's a great thing) What I am NOT for is profit above concern for the consumer. These companies only care about $$$ your health or my health isn't anything they would ever lose sleep over, so what if they mislead consumers, they can laugh all the way to the bank. So what if the additives they use cause cancer , they will fund studies that contradict it and make sure the news media runs the story. The FDA doesn't care if most of the vitamins are cooked out of a can of beans. The FDA does not care if nitrates cause cancer. The FDA doesn't care if pasterurized milk is one of the most unhealthy things going...they don't care. They don't care if GM foods have not been tested to see how human beings can tolerate these new foods, so what let us all be the ginuea pigs. The FDA is not out there helping us consumers. The FDA and USDA are bought and paid for by the food companies,soy farmers,agriculture industries,cattle industry and the list goes on and on. The food industry is very politicized. So no big company is going to be "shut down".

Of course people have control over what they eat....but if they think that what they are eating is good for them because it is "fortified" they are being misled. If they are told a certain product has specific health claims due to an extensive ad and marketing campaign then that too is misleading and there are several instances where this is happening.

Life is not fair...But companies that make money calling something "food" should be held accountable. Yes consumers have a responsibility to start demanding real nutritious food products.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirly
Facts are facts. Big business is allowed to make profits (And I am entirely for capitalism, it's a great thing) What I am NOT for is profit above concern for the consumer. These companies only care about $$$ your health or my health isn't anything they would ever lose sleep over, so what if they mislead consumers, they can laugh all the way to the bank. So what if the additives they use cause cancer , they will fund studies that contradict it and make sure the news media runs the story. The FDA doesn't care if most of the vitamins are cooked out of a can of beans. The FDA does not care if nitrates cause cancer. The FDA doesn't care if pasterurized milk is one of the most unhealthy things going...they don't care. They don't care if GM foods have not been tested to see how human beings can tolerate these new foods, so what let us all be the ginuea pigs. The FDA is not out there helping us consumers. The FDA and USDA are bought and paid for by the food companies,soy farmers,agriculture industries,cattle industry and the list goes on and on. The food industry is very politicized. So no big company is going to be "shut down".

Of course people have control over what they eat....but if they think that what they are eating is good for them because it is "fortified" they are being misled. If they are told a certain product has specific health claims due to an extensive ad and marketing campaign then that too is misleading and there are several instances where this is happening.

Life is not fair...But companies that make money calling something "food" should be held accountable. Yes consumers have a responsibility to start demanding real nutritious food products.
Boy girly girly you sure rattle on about food compaines FDA ect,ect..I have to agree with Nash!!! the lady just ask if canned veggies was any more bad or less good for you? with your reply i think she is just more confused than ever!!!

Closed Thread