It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 04:18 PM   #1

leeintx HB User
Question a question on calories and fat? anyone?

a quick question???how many calories and fat are you supposed to eat a day to maintain your weight? anyone know? im 5'7 and 135lbs and im 33yrs old..

Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

karen430 HB User
Re: a question on calories and fat? anyone?

HI

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe it is 10x your body weight in calories to maintain (1350 for you), and as always fat in moderation. Sorry I don't know more. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #3

Shane S HB User

It's a trial and error process. Pick an amount and see if you gain or lose weight. Raise or lower caloric intake accordingly. I agree with fat in moderation. Shoot for somewhere in the 20-30% range, with saturated fats sparingly (single digits).

Old 01-30-2004, 04:29 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeintx
a quick question???how many calories and fat are you supposed to eat a day to maintain your weight? anyone know? im 5'7 and 135lbs and im 33yrs old..
To maintain your weight you should eat your weight Xs 15=2025 calories. To lose your weight Xs 10.

Stay away from trans fats, canola,soy,corn,vegetable,cottonseed oils and margarines. Saturated fat is needed in the body. Coconut oil,olive and grapeseed are excellent choices for oil; they are very stable for cooking. The first oils I mentioned are very unstable and are not very healthy.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #5

Shane S HB User

Essential fats are needed. Other fats the body can produce if needbe.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:08 AM   #6
(female)

SweetPuff HB User

Canola Oil unhealthy and Coconut Oil Good? I think you may have those reversed??? Canola Oil and Olive Oils are the best Oils to use. STAY away from Coconut Oil and Palm Kernal Oil. Coconut is HIGHLY saturated in fat! Fats are ok if you stick to those that are MONOunsaturated and POLYunsaturated. These fats help to raise your good cholesterol HDL and lower your bad cholesterol LDL. Saturated Fat is one of the artery clogging culprits.

Old 01-31-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPuff
Canola Oil unhealthy and Coconut Oil Good? I think you may have those reversed??? Canola Oil and Olive Oils are the best Oils to use. STAY away from Coconut Oil and Palm Kernal Oil. Coconut is HIGHLY saturated in fat! Fats are ok if you stick to those that are MONOunsaturated and POLYunsaturated. These fats help to raise your good cholesterol HDL and lower your bad cholesterol LDL. Saturated Fat is one of the artery clogging culprits.
No, I don't have them reversed. Just like I orginally stated Canola is not a healthy oil. It's processing includes bleaching and deodorizing, it is also processed at high temps. Coconut oil is an excellent oil for cooking and baking. Saturated fats do not clog the arteries. The fat cloggers are the hydrogenated oils. Many experts have come to realize that saturated fats are a necessary part of our diets. That is why suddenly eggs are okay to eat again. Weston Price studied diets for many years and found no disease in people who ate whole natural food diets. Many of the diets he looked at contained a very high rate rate of saturated fats (the eskimos ate blubber!!), all of the health problems with nations started when they ate a westernized diet such as what people in this country eat.

Old 02-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirly
No, I don't have them reversed. Just like I orginally stated Canola is not a healthy oil. It's processing includes bleaching and deodorizing, it is also processed at high temps. Coconut oil is an excellent oil for cooking and baking. Saturated fats do not clog the arteries. The fat cloggers are the hydrogenated oils. Many experts have come to realize that saturated fats are a necessary part of our diets. That is why suddenly eggs are okay to eat again. Weston Price studied diets for many years and found no disease in people who ate whole natural food diets. Many of the diets he looked at contained a very high rate rate of saturated fats (the eskimos ate blubber!!), all of the health problems with nations started when they ate a westernized diet such as what people in this country eat.

I agree with some but not all. The most healthful fats of all are omega 3's as found in fish and --you may have trouble believing this, but: Blubber! (It's due to the marine diet of whales and seals. Yes, it's a mammal fat, but its chemistry is more like fish oil than anything else)

Omega 3 s also may not be obesogenic, or at least not so much so as 6 or 9.

The essential fatty acids include omega threes, nines AND omega 6's, so the condemnation of soy, corn and canola or similar oils is excessive. Canola, like olive oil, is one of the few common sources of omega 9, or mono-unsaturates.

But yes, saturated fats have been over criticized, and yes, some of them such as coconut and palm kernel oils show up very well in research on cardio health. (Saturated fat is itself a complicated category with many differing oils and fats in the group.) And yes, hydrogenated oils (trans fats) seem unequivocally unhealthy. And fattening is only part of their negatives.

peace

sean

Old 02-04-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, Ideal fat intake would be no more than 30% for total and no more than 10% for sat. fat. It's a good idea to replace saturated fats with "good fats" such as mono and omega. Keep in mind when figuring out the fat percentage, 1 gram of fat = 9 cal.

Closed Thread