It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User
Dannon's DanActive Cultured Dairy Drink

Anyone tried this? Anyone know what it is exactly? It says it helps naturally strengthen your body's defense system. I got them in Vanilla....very sweet!! I was just wondering if they are a waste of money. I have a low immune system and get sick a lot. These contain L.casei, L. bulgaricus, and s. thermophilus...??? Theory is that friendly bacteria such as cultures can suppress the activity of harmful germs.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:52 AM   #2

sweetficus HB User
Re: Dannon's DanActive Cultured Dairy Drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey32
Anyone tried this? Anyone know what it is exactly? It says it helps naturally strengthen your body's defense system. I got them in Vanilla....very sweet!! I was just wondering if they are a waste of money. I have a low immune system and get sick a lot. These contain L.casei, L. bulgaricus, and s. thermophilus...??? Theory is that friendly bacteria such as cultures can suppress the activity of harmful germs.
It's called probiotics, bacteria that is good for you. I personally think they are very helpful, especially for skin, and low level chronic or recurring yeast infections. Also the calcium is an additional benefit.

I agree that many commercial ones available are too sweet and have too much sugar but I found a great alternative called Kefir, available at Wegman's and probably other large chain grocery stores in the natural food departments, not the routine dairy display.
It's cultured milk (not sure how that is different from yogurt) and comes in plain (can be a little tart if you're not used to it like plain yogurt, can add artificial sweetener or sugar to taste if you like), also blueberry (my favorite, not too sweet and really tastes like blueberries), also peach (yummy), raspberry and strawberry.
Out of the bottle can be a little thick (reminds me of lassis, the Indian yogurt drink that I was addicted to when I visited India), but stir w/spoon and can drink, or can dilute it w/milk or water (will even froth in a blender)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Mmmmm I LOVE the Danactive ones---plain flavor---called DanActive Immunity in a small yellow plastic bottle. It's sweet, but not as sweet as the flavored ones. You might want to try that one! They're kind of expensive, so I alternate drinking these with taking Jarrow acidophillus caplets----the ones you refigerate.

Last edited by Infinitum; 12-13-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
(female)

Jen121 HB User

Dannons yogurt is loaded with sugar. If you want to increase the good bacteria in your colon just take a probiotic.

If you want to have yogurt, buy it plain and flavor it with fruit and nuts

Closed Thread