It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 05:50 AM   #1

LyraMark HB User
Sugar cravings

I get really, really strong sugar cravings that are very distracting and then when I eat something sweet I end up with no energy and just want to sleep. I am considering cutting all sugar out of my diet as if I eat a little I just want more and more but I am worried that this is dangerous.

I actually wanted to cut out refined, unrefined and even fruit but I don't want to adversly affect my health. Does anyone know whether or not some sort of sugar is essential to the diet?

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Absinthe HB User
Re: Sugar cravings

It's not so much the sugar that you need, it's the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that make fruit an important part of your diet. I wouldn't cut it out completely.

You should start by cutting back the refined stuff first and by adding a little more protein to your meals and snacks. Sugar cravings are often a sign that you're not getting enough protein.

Some bloodwork might also be in order to rule out metabolic syndrome, or early diabetes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 06:59 AM   #3

LyraMark HB User

Thank you that's great.

I think I might cut fruit down a lot but still eat a couple of pieces a day. I do eat a lot of veg and take supplements so hopefully I'll get most of my vitamins and minerals that way.

The diabetes thing has crossed my mind so I will get tested.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Absinthe HB User

Glad to hear you are going to get checked out. It's probably nothing, but best to be safe.

You might be interested in a thread on the weightloss board. It seems that several people are taking calcium supplements and it has helped ease their cravings. Something else for you to consider as you change your diet.

Good Luck!

Old 02-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Inactive

Nash-t HB User

Hi,
you may want to try the Atkins Diet, I been on that now for some time and it's the only diet that has help me and believe me I have tried them all.

Just go buy his New book thats out and follow it the best you can. it has the do's and don'ts and it has a carb/gram counter and carb charts to let you know what is and what aint!
It has recipes in it that are pretty eazy to follow! if you can get on that diet I'm pretty sure you will do just fine!

As far as your sugar cravings that is hard to give up... but surgar is bad for you most carbs has sugar in it and sugar will lower your energy level and make you tired and sleeply! seems funny tho I had always thought that sugar makes your engery lever sky roocket. THE ATKIS DIET will explain that!

If you just have to have some type of sugar "fix" I recommend a 1/4 cup strawberrys with about 2 table spoons of coolwhip/ or sugar free jello with one table spoon of coolwhip, if you stay true to the lo carbohydrates your engery level will go up but make sure you take some type of vitamin supplments/Iron/calcuim a multi-vitamin/along with about 5 min a day of exersise drink lots of water or a diet drink.
After I started the atkins diet I am never hungry and my sweet tooth don't come around as offten as it did!

What ever type of diet you go on always consult your Dr first or at least go get a check-up once a year.
Good Luck !!!

Old 02-09-2004, 06:44 AM   #6

LyraMark HB User

I just wanted to say thanks. I haven't checked the board for a few days that's why I didn'y respond before.

I am coping a lot better now, I think it took a few days to get it out of my system, although I think I'm just going to have to accept that I have a sweet tooth but make sure I don't over indulge it.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 AM   #7

nenofury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraMark
I get really, really strong sugar cravings that are very distracting and then when I eat something sweet I end up with no energy and just want to sleep. I am considering cutting all sugar out of my diet as if I eat a little I just want more and more but I am worried that this is dangerous.

I actually wanted to cut out refined, unrefined and even fruit but I don't want to adversly affect my health. Does anyone know whether or not some sort of sugar is essential to the diet?

Thanks.
Nope. Sugar is nothing but harmful. Only need the vitamins/minerals/fiber in fruit. Fiber can be found in green veggies and vitamins/minerals in supplements.

Old 02-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Sugar cravings are powerful, uncontrolllable urges, cause by low blood sugar!!
you might want to check out that new book that has the natural home remedies for 160 Health Problems/300 America's Top MD's Explain!
The Book is called "Alternative Cures"

Old 02-10-2004, 11:55 AM   #9

HaneyC98 HB User

A few tips I was given by my nutritionist when I get the sugar cravings or even carb withdrawls (very similar) I have found these to help a great deal.

1. EAT AN ORANGE - they have natural sugar and it will help a great deal with the sugar cravings.

2. BAKING SODA SHOT - put 1/4 tsp. of Baking soda in a shot glass, fill the glass with water, stir, and drink it fast.

Those 2 tips have been helping me for some time now and has gotten me out of many binges of grabing for some candy.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by HaneyC98; 02-10-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Old 02-28-2004, 05:25 AM   #10

LyraMark HB User
Smile Re: Sugar cravings

I just have to say thanks again. I am going to try out all the ideas mentioned here and I'm so suprised and touched by the effort people have put in. x

Old 02-28-2004, 06:23 AM   #11

shlovies HB User
Wink Re: Sugar cravings

It sounds like you are doing much better... great for you! I have had awful sugar cravings since I can remember and have FINALLY been able to control them through diet and excercise. The most important thing I have found is that I must control HOW MUCH I eat and not necessarily WHAT I eat. Even if I have a salad it must be a certain proportion in order to avoid sugar cravings after I eat. I did take a blood sugar test (8 hour fasting etc.) about 12 years ago and the doctor said I had reactive hypoglycemia. You may have a similar problem. It is best adjusted through diet and excercise. For me I have found something that "fits" best, gives me the maximum energy through the day and leaves me "satisfied". By satisfied I mean with no "out of control" sugar cravings. BTW: I was told to eat six small meals a day with this hypoglycemia and it DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. FOR ME, I eat two small meals (2 cups or so of food each) have two snacks and excercise AT LEAST one hour a day to avoid "symptoms". Best of luck to you!

Closed Thread