It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

savanannastar HB User
why are carbs bad

Hi guys i have been on a diet for about a week now(to lose weight and lower my cholesteral)My question is why are carbs sooo bad for you,I love pasta and potatoes and dont think i can live with out them however i can give up on meats and i have,but thats all i hear about is the carbs,I mean they should be better most have no fat right? Should i be living on carbs or are they that bad?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 10:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
Re: why are carbs bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanannastar
Hi guys i have been on a diet for about a week now(to lose weight and lower my cholesteral)My question is why are carbs sooo bad for you,I love pasta and potatoes and dont think i can live with out them however i can give up on meats and i have,but thats all i hear about is the carbs,I mean they should be better most have no fat right? Should i be living on carbs or are they that bad?
It's not that carbs are "bad" Carbs may be useful for some purposes, such as quick energy. Anyone who exercises intensely or for long stretches can handle quite a lot of carb foods without putting on weight.

What is "bad" is that most of the carbohydrate foods in the modern diet--definitely including the two you mention--are empty calories or nearly so, providing very little protein (truly an essential nutrient-- why have you cut out meat?), and very little fat (some fats are also essential, and while these can sometimes be found in starchy foods, they are not usually found in refined "white" foods such as pasta or white rice or white bread). So, all you get are the calories. Most of these foods are so refined that they don't even provide much fiber--the one truly useful commodity we might expect from these foods.

Then, without going into an Atkins riff, the second thing objected to is that carbs can, and in large amounts almost certainly will, lead your body into an insulin reaction, and this can spur fat storage. This is good if you are too thin, but not if you want to lose weight.

So, many would say that if you want to cut your body fat, the first group of foods to reduce would be simple carbohydrates.

You sound like you need to srudy up quite a lot more before tampering radically with your diet. No, fats are not all bad, not at all--some will cause disease if you avoid them completely. That's why they are called Essential fatty acids.

Better you should just cut down on portion size, emphasize protein and whole foods (brown rice, whole wheat or whole grains, leafy low carb, high-fiber vegetables), and spend several hours reading up on things before making too many radical shifts.

also, I'd advise a good quality multi vitamin and mineral before you take any foods out of your diet.

hope this helps

sean

Last edited by sean; 02-04-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
Inactive

Nash-t HB User

Not all carbs are bad! veggie carbs are good carbs ... patato carbs are full of carbs and starches...most meats are carb-free? unless it's like breaded or something.......I think the reason you don't eat carbs or to many carbs is kinda like the Atkins diet....eating carbs produce your insul level to rise and they have sugar sugar makes you hungry and you eat more....so people on the Atkins D can eat lo carbs and stay full most of the time and loses weight/ puts them in keytosas and they pee the fat out?...of course the Atkins D has an induction phase that they use no carbs for two weeks at all? then they start the lo carbs but always consult your Dr before going on any type of Diet.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:37 AM   #4

Shane S HB User

They're not. What's bad are simple carbs and the combination of carbs and fat. Don't believe anyone who tries to convince you that the carbs in oatmeal should be counted the same as the carbs in a chocolate bar.

You should not be living on carbs, but they should be the largest part of your diet, followed by protein and lastly fat (though it should not be excessively low either).

Old 02-05-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, I agree with the idea of portion control. I really feel that the biggest "problem" with carbs is the amount that people eat and what is put on them and how they are cooked. As far as nutritional value...Sure the bleached stuff isn't as good as the whole grain or whole wheat. I totally agree on that, but potatoes do have vitamins. The best vitamin in a potato is potasium and bananas also have a great deal of vitamins too. (Some people down bananas.) The trick with the potato is to eat it baked or boiled with the skin, which is where a lot of the nutrients are. Make sure you only eat one potato.

I mentioned toppings....Most of us have a habit, like I used to of using lots of butter, sour cream, alfredo/cheese sauce, meat sauce made with cheap ground chuck, yummy gravy made from fatty meat drippings, sauces with heavy oil content...basically tons of fat and salt. Keep in mind that most of us do not put one serving of the butter or sauces on our pastas and potatoes...I like to drown my food in a sea of sauce. So, how did I get around this stuff? Ok, I'm will admit that I still am not doing to good on the salt part, but I have the fat thing licked. (Keep in mind that I do some eat fat, but not lots like I used to.) For the potato I use salsa, (not good if you have to watch the salt) Breakstone's fat-free sour cream, light margarine spread without the trans fats, or lemon pepper. For the pasta I use extermely low-fat or fat-free tomato sauce, fresh chopped tomatoes, or light margarine spread without the trans fats. I always put grated parmesan/romano on my pasta as a habit and for some calcium, since those cheese are low-fat...only 1.5-2 grams total fat per serving.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
(female)

savanannastar HB User

As for the question of why cut out fat or meat?It is because of my cholesterol I was told by doc to cut out alot of my fat because she did not want to put me on the drugs just yet cause of my age.I figured cutting all my fa(meats) out would be the easiest thing to do(also need to lose 20 pounds)but the only other things i eat are carbs(pastas,breads,potatoes,etc)so if i cut out meat that would be all that is left in my diet,That is why i asked the question about carbs,everytime i turn on the t.v i hear about cutting carbs out of your diet.Also i hate fruit the only thing i will eat is an occasional bananna.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #7

mugal2003 HB User

Not all meats have alot of fat in them. I don't eat beef but I eat lean turkey, chicken, or slices of deli hame. They usually have a 1 gram or sometimes 0.5 grams of fat, with no sat. fat at all. You need protein badly!!! Yogurt is a good source of protein and calcium, if you want to watch your sugar, go for the low sugar yogurt(Blue Bunny is the best), those have no fat in them, and have alot of protein in them. Peanut Butter, although it's "fatty" provides a good source of protein and it is considered the good fat, with mony and poly fats in them that are good for you heart. Opt for the natural kind, and just limit yourself maybe a tablespoon on a piece of wheat bread, or spread it on a banana. If eat carbs, i always include protein in them. This helps the body digest them, and protein takes more calories to digest, therefore you will be full longer. Just limit your sweets, and include lots of veggies, lean protein, complex carbs(whole grains), and lots of water!

Old 02-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #8

nenofury HB User

The first three posters are correct. Your doctor is an idiot for giving you an instructions like "cut out the fat" or whatever. The "diet" you are on now will do very little for cholesterol and will most definitely make you fatter. Maybe not larger, but without protein you will lose muscle and put fat in it's place. You must eat meat, just make sure most of it is lean (chicken, turkey, fish). Avoid processed fats like cooking oils, margarine, etc... Butter, cheese, peanuts, etc... are all good fats. Low glycemic carbs are fine, like oatmeal, yams, green veggies.

Eating only carbs like rice, potatoes, and bread is one of the most unhealty things you can do.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:05 PM   #9
(female)

Jaber HB User

"Eating only carbs like rice, potatoes, and bread is one of the most unhealty things you can do."

Although this is true, eating nothing but bacon and junk food is just as bad as eating nothing but carbs. I just wanted to add that just because the "no/low carb" diet is THE fad diet in America right now, it does not mean it's the best. Just like the Scarsdale diet was THE diet of the 80s, fad diets come and go. The best way to lose weight is portion control, and plenty of exercise (and drinking lots of water). Bottom line.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:11 PM   #10
Inactive

Nash-t HB User

Well you know this ain't a "Fairy Tale" world we all live in and dieting is not a easy thing to do for anyone!!!....sure by not over eatting and eatting the right foods and drinking plenty of water you can lose weight "bottom line" but who in all honesty can do that?

I think everyones body works a little different and what works for some may not work for others!!! you can lose weight on most diets if you follow them to the T ... but after a while the weight comes back A yo-yo effect if you will!

The lo carbohydrate diets are a proven fact in dieting and is the safe way to go and by staying true to the diet it will always keep you fit and at a comfortable weight following the diet... "Atkins Diet" is best in my opinion
but you don't have to take my word for it....the Atkins diet is not what some of you think it is (bad for you?) if you get the Dr Atkins New Relv diet book (and follow it) as close as you can you will be able to lose weight and keep it off and actually feel better, more energy more mussel mass you look leaner and just feel better . Simple diet Just follow Dr Atkins Program.

Sure eatting lo carbs gets old but after your induction phase you can start to have more and more carbs (the good carbs that is) the book will explain that to you and how foods are metabolise in your body/ all bout how the lo carbs and fatty carbs work. it even has a carb /gram counter chart and tells you what are hi carbs and fatty carbs ect,ect. you will be suprised as how you used to eat carbs I know I was certainly suprised.

Without going into detail about how and why you should not consume hi carbs/ ect,ect? I won't...lol
Unless you went to medcial school and know about nutrition don't knock Dr Atkins! he reserched this diet for over 45 years and found it to be safe if followed by his program and he took that to his grave!

("Note" let it be known that his diet (was not) the cause of his death".

Also the Atkins D is not consider a "FAD DIET" it's been around a long long time!

Heres kinda what I do I been on the Atkins D for a couple years/ lost over 60 lbs.... and I do miss all the junk foods I was used to like Ice CREAM/Ham burgers/ cakes/cookies pies/ chicken fried steak with patatos/ greavy/ Mmmmm all the hi Carbs/... so I have me one cheat day a month if I get the erge for that???...but if you do cheat be sure and cheat good for that one day only and get back on the Atkins the very next day.....but don't tell anyone lol thats the trick lol........

But all in all you know how your health is and no matter what is said about the Atkins Diet don't let it scare you away from it! like I said if you follow it (his book") as close as you can it will work for ya!

I am not a medical Dr so you will know "my opinions/ or just that my opinions" and there not dierected or meant to be offensive to anyone.
And remember when starting any dieting or exersise always consult a Dr.
Good Luck!!! I wish you many many years of great health and Happinest.

Last edited by Nash-t; 02-05-2004 at 11:36 PM.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:50 AM   #11
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanannastar
As for the question of why cut out fat or meat?It is because of my cholesterol I was told by doc to cut out alot of my fat because she did not want to put me on the drugs just yet cause of my age.I figured cutting all my fa(meats) out would be the easiest thing to do(also need to lose 20 pounds)but the only other things i eat are carbs(pastas,breads,potatoes,etc)so if i cut out meat that would be all that is left in my diet,That is why i asked the question about carbs,everytime i turn on the t.v i hear about cutting carbs out of your diet.Also i hate fruit the only thing i will eat is an occasional bananna.
The type of fat that "causes" high cholesterol is trans fats not saturated fats or food like eggs that contain cholesterol. The carbs you state that you are eating especially the pastas and breads unless they are whole grain (not whole wheat) will raise your triglyercides and lower your hdl. The carbs that you hear about that you should cut out sound like the ones you are eating. Increasing fruits and vegetables will help to lower your cholesterol and give you the fiber you need to keep your bowels functioning properly and give you important vitamins,minerals, amino acids, and enzmes essential for good health. Sometimes the "easiest" thing to do isn't the "wisest" thing to do.

Good Luck.

Last edited by girlygirly; 02-06-2004 at 07:51 AM.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:09 AM   #12

nenofury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber
"Eating only carbs like rice, potatoes, and bread is one of the most unhealty things you can do."

Although this is true, eating nothing but bacon and junk food is just as bad as eating nothing but carbs. I just wanted to add that just because the "no/low carb" diet is THE fad diet in America right now, it does not mean it's the best. Just like the Scarsdale diet was THE diet of the 80s, fad diets come and go. The best way to lose weight is portion control, and plenty of exercise (and drinking lots of water). Bottom line.
I explained in detail the proper way to eat. Why is it that you people see "low carb" and immediately think of the induction phase of Atkins.

And by the way, low-carb is the best way to maintain optimum health for the rest of your life. Science and evolution have proved that.

Old 02-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #13

wearesiamese HB User

I agree with Nenofury. Also, I practice a low carb lifestyle, but that doesn't mean that if once in awhile I want a plate of spaghetti I won't have it. I just don't do it everyday.

Old 02-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #14
(female)

Jaber HB User

I explained in detail the proper way to eat. Why is it that you people see "low carb" and immediately think of the induction phase of Atkins.

And by the way, low-carb is the best way to maintain optimum health for the rest of your life. Science and evolution have proved that.[/QUOTE]

The "proper way to eat" for you is meant for you, and you only. Anyone looking to eat better and want to lose weight should see a few nutritionists, and then make a decision. Just like all of us here on these boards, nutritionists favor certain ways of eating also. Low carb may work for you, but it is Not for everyone. If you are an athlete or work out, you are going to need to have lots of carbs in your diet, it provides energy, which is VERY necessary.
All of the Drs. that make up these diets and not proving anything. If there were scientific proof that their specific diet is THE best for everyone, then there would be no reason for nutritionists/doctors to debate. And until then, the debate will go on.
I find it funny that no one has mentioned anything about exercise, when this, in combination with eating right, is really the only way to lose weight. Now that IS a fact.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #15

Shane S HB User

[quote]
Quote:
Well you know this ain't a "Fairy Tale" world we all live in and dieting is not a easy thing to do for anyone
I find dieting to be easy myself.

Quote:
I find it funny that no one has mentioned anything about exercise, when this, in combination with eating right, is really the only way to lose weight.
Atkins is very couch potato-centric. You can lose weight without any exercise at all, although that doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy.

Closed Thread