It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 07:32 PM   #1

alwaysgod2 HB User
Caffine?

I've been wanting to know more about why caffine is bad if your trying to loose weight. Does nebody know??? Thanks bunches!

Old 02-05-2004, 07:52 PM   #2

Shane S HB User
Re: Caffine?

Caffeine can be good for weight loss both due to its thermogenic fat burning abilities and the extra energy it provides.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #3

scribbles HB User

I read a recent study that did indeed show that caffeine raises the metabolism, but this didn't result in a significant amout of burned calories (and this study had subjects drinking SIX cups of strong coffee per day... and too much caffeine is lethal).

Since caffeine can be a hunger-suppressing drug, one might take in fewer calories. But this is a short-term effect, as is caffeine being a diuretic (which is only weight loss from body water, not body fat). Both of these can help lose weight, but it's not an effective long-term method.

For coffee, I can only think of it being "bad" for those trying to lose weight is that if they dress it up with calories, like sugar and cream. However, it can also be hazardous to those who have pre-existing health conditions, like having high blood pressure, heart disease, or kidney stones.

Old 02-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #4

alwaysgod2 HB User

So how much is to much sugar and cream? Cuz thats the only way i can drink it. Will it still be affective in weight loss??

Old 02-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #5

scribbles HB User

Just make sure you factor in the calories if you're watching your total energy intake for the day.

On average,
  • 1 cup black coffee: 0 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g carbohydrates
  • 1 tbsp cream: 50 calories, 6 g fat, 0 g carbohydrates
  • 1 tbsp half-and-half: 20, 2, 0
  • 1 tbsp liquid plain non-dairy creamer: 25, 2, 2
  • 1 tbsp liquid plain fat-reduced non-dairy creamer: 10, 0.5, 2
  • 1 tbsp whole milk: 10, 0.5, 1
  • 1 tbsp skim milk: 5, 0, 1
  • 1 tsp sugar: 15, 0, 4

Old 02-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysgod2
I've been wanting to know more about why caffine is bad if your trying to loose weight. Does nebody know??? Thanks bunches!
Caffeine is a powerful diuretic that strips calcium, magnesium, and sodium from your body. A six-year study conducted at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital found that women who consumed higher amounts of caffeine had a higher rate of hip fractures.
Some evidence shows that 3 cups of black coffee can result in a 45mg calcium loss. Not only that, caffeine is hidden in many products: chocolate, cocoa, tea, some soft drinks, kola nut and guarana root supplements and OTC stuff including Excedrin, Anacin, Vanquish, Midol, Cope, Premens, Vivarin, NoDOz, dexatrim.
Caffeine also stresses the liver, which is the primary organ that must handle this chemical and may actually block weight loss efforts if the liver is overloaded.
Be very careful. Caffeine, as a diet aid, is probably not doing your overall health or your long term calcium reserves any favors!
(I highly recommend Caffeine Blues, by S. Cherniske)

Old 02-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #7

scribbles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
Caffeine is a powerful diuretic that strips calcium, magnesium, and sodium from your body. A six-year study conducted at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital found that women who consumed higher amounts of caffeine had a higher rate of hip fractures.
Some evidence shows that 3 cups of black coffee can result in a 45mg calcium loss. Not only that, caffeine is hidden in many products: chocolate, cocoa, tea, some soft drinks, kola nut and guarana root supplements and OTC stuff including Excedrin, Anacin, Vanquish, Midol, Cope, Premens, Vivarin, NoDOz, dexatrim.
Caffeine also stresses the liver, which is the primary organ that must handle this chemical and may actually block weight loss efforts if the liver is overloaded.
Be very careful. Caffeine, as a diet aid, is probably not doing your overall health or your long term calcium reserves any favors!
(I highly recommend Caffeine Blues, by S. Cherniske)
The research data on the benefits of caffeine in the diet has been both positive and negative. It's difficult to establish cause-and-effect relationships when good and controlled experimental studies are still preliminary, eg. is it the caffeine or the some other factor?

To give three positive examples (each have supporting studies showing the same results),

1. A prospective longitudinal study in the Journal of the American Medical Association (May 2000) reported that men who drank 1 to 3 cups of coffee were significantly less likely to be diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. The results were from 30 years of follow-up after a 3 year study.

2. A study in Annals of Internal Medicine (Jan 2004) reported that after adjusting for related lifestyle risk factors, people who had the highest intake of coffee a day had the lowest risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, compared to those who drank less. Gender-specific statistically significant results were from an 18 year prospective study.

3. A review article in Food and Chemical Toxicology (Sept. 2002) reported that caffeine weakly interferes with calcium absorption only in those who have a low dietary calcium intake. This effect was negated with the addition of a few tablespoons of milk.

There are many more studies out there (some not as scientifically conducted or are funded by questionable organizations) that claim caffeine can be beneficial to one's health, while just as many claim the opposite.

The overall message is that depending on many variables (such as genetic, environmental, lifestyle, metabolic, or existing health problems), the effects of ingesting caffeine, even moderate amounts, are different for everyone, and controversy remains regarding its harmful/beneficial effects.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #8
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles
There are many more studies out there (some not as scientifically conducted or are funded by questionable organizations) that claim caffeine can be beneficial to one's health, while just as many claim the opposite.
Oh yah! When all else fails, manipulate the data!
I think no matter what the subject, each person must educate themselves, decide which "Expert" they trust and proceed from there.
And of course, in all things, MODERATION! ( sometimes I just HATE moderation!)
heh heh

Old 02-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #9

scribbles HB User

Quote:
Oh yah! When all else fails, manipulate the data!
Who knows -- a viable option with much to be gained... and ethics is so overrated!

Quote:
I think no matter what the subject, each person must educate themselves, decide which "Expert" they trust and proceed from there.
And of course, in all things, MODERATION! ( sometimes I just HATE moderation!)
heh heh
I agree!

Old 02-22-2004, 07:37 PM   #10

Shane S HB User

There's a reason every halfway decent weight loss supplement contains caffeine. Of course, its impact on overall health is another issue, and too much of anything is not good.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 AM   #11
(female)

onedaisiegal HB User

OK...I've heard that caffeine will strip calcium from your bones-not sure if thats true or not.

I also know for a FACT that caffeine and aspartame (diet sodas) sparks insulin ....which promotes low blood sugar...which causes sugar and carb cravings...which can be detrimental to weight loss...depending on your ability to control yourself and your diet.

Anyway...I LOVE CAFFEINE!!!! Hahaha..it gets my through my hectic day..like millions of americans. What I do to control it though, is take calcium supplements, and also, I take chromium picolinate to level off my blood sugar levels to control my cravings....that way the caffeine doesnt effect it so much.

Dunno if that helps...but maybe it will help someone if not you.

Take care!

Daisies_382

Old 02-23-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

I can tell you about caffine as a long term years of drinking coke some to supress hunger...........................i over dosed last week and it wernt nice l thought l was going to die pls look up effects of caffine lm done with it!!!

Old 02-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

There has been much research on caffeine's biological and health effects.
There seems little doubt after all this work that caffeine:

Does indeed raise insulin and blood sugar levels somewhat. Nonetheless, the correlation to lower diabetes is also well established. How to figure this? I can't, but both results show up consistently in the studies.

Is a very poor diuretic. In fact, although it acts as a mild diuretic for the initial hour or so, over 24 hours the body's hydration balance reverts and ends up unchanged, meaning that whatever initial diuresis there is is reacted to and compensated for by the body. This does NOT happen with true diuretics, such as alcohol.

And, is of very modest help for weight loss. Some, but not much. It also has an inconsistent and modest ergogenic effect on exercise endurance/power production. Not enough to get it banned, but a little.

The effect on calcium does not seem pronounced (45 mgs. after three cups is a small effect for this mineral whose daily requirement is one or more grams per day), and I have never heard of its supposed "stripping" of other minerals as mentioned above. Could be true, one supposes, but where is the data?

Long term studies of liver health consistently show coffee as protective against liver cancer and all-cause cirrhosis. Nobody knows why, but the data keep coming back the same way.

Coffee is merely a ground bean. Like other beans, it may have some useful lignans or other phytochemicals. We do know it contains quite a lot of tannins, like teas do, and melatonoids, especially in the darker roasts, and these we know to be healthful. What else is going on we may not know well, but after years--now decades--of trying to find how coffee and caffeine will kill us all, the researchers consistently find the opposite.

At some point we might choose to believe there may be somehting to it.

sean

Old 02-23-2004, 01:35 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Well after what happened to me l came on the net and boy did l do some searching, it CAN kill and they have been cases! although few of course Taking in large amounts! it is toxic! As l experienced at first hand! This was no l feel sick etc I went through torture! AND that is not an understatement! Everybody is different so maybe it effects people in different ways taking over long times and large amounts . Ive actually had to buy some pepsi because of the headaches l was very interested in your piece about mental health, lve suffered anxiety etc and maybe this could be the answer, as there was no ohter known reason for my anxiety I also noticed you mentioned diabetes well l know of 2 other people who drank pop/soda all the time and they are now diabetic maybe it has nothing to do with the pepsi/cola but caffine is something l plan to remove for good if l can help it! Thanks for your input x

Old 02-26-2004, 06:11 AM   #15
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I have a normal insulin/sugar metabolism. I was suspect of all the "facts" about caffeine and artificial aweetners raising blood insulin levels because it didn't seem the body can be so stupid as to hurt itself.
After all a dose of insulin administered at a normal blood glucose level can KILL a person so why would the body squirt insulin WITHOUT sugar. (That's how Sonny van Bulow was killed!)

So I bought a BG tester (with a generous rebate...thus free) and used the 20 free test strips to try a large dose of caffeine and determine the change from my fasting blood glucose. ZERO CHANGE at 1/2 hour, 1, 2 hour interrvals. No change in BG=No extra insulin release.
The artificail sweetners reacted the same way (I tried with aspartame and cyclamate.)

My conclusion from self test: The pancreas releases insulin in response to carbohydrates, but not caffeine and chemical sweetners.

I DID get a noticeable increase from sorbitol, a "sugar-alcohol" (from sugar free cough drops.)

Last edited by zip2play; 02-26-2004 at 06:15 AM.

Closed Thread