It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Slim Fast and Weight Lifting

Well currently I want to shock my body in diff ways. I wanna jump on the slimfast diet. Would this be okay to do even while weight training 3-4 times a week and cardio 3 times a week? Will this effect my muscle mass gained? Should I eat/drink protein to even out the new diet, or is slim fast containing enough of what I need? thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #2

a bear HB User
Re: Slim Fast and Weight Lifting

IMO, slimfast is not good nutrition. water, 10 grams of protein and alot of sugar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bear
IMO, slimfast is not good nutrition. water, 10 grams of protein and alot of sugar.
I sure agree. In fact of all the liquid "meal replacements" on the market, slim fast is among the closest to empty calories. Sugar, sugar, sugar.
There are many brands,nitrotech, myoplex, pure protein, atkins, others who make much fuller meal replacements with much less sugar.

Yes, if you go on a strict calorie reduction (the slim fast diet is about 900 claories a day, yes?) diet and exercise that much you will risk some muscle loss. You can reduce this somewhat by concentrating whatever nutrition you do get around the work out periods, and emphsizing extra protein in whatever calories you do take in.

Depending on whether you are more concerned with staying strong or losing size, you might put more exercise emphasis on resistance training or cardio respectively.

But it is very hard to go on any low cal regime and preserve muscle. Not impossilble, but difficult.

sean

Old 02-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Well im trying to clean my system of all foods i have eaten, because of my acne. I want to have somthing I can stay on then test other foods to see which are affecting me. Slim fast just seemed to fit the part. Is there somthing other than slimfast i can do that might be acne friendly? But i want to also keeping working out. (weights/cardio) Thanks

Old 02-06-2004, 04:17 PM   #5

Shane S HB User

If you want a good meal replacement, opt for Prolab Matrix. Most of this other stuff, although better than Slimfast, has its own share of problems. For example, Myoplex used to be the gold standard, but it's old school now.

Last edited by Shane S; 02-06-2004 at 04:22 PM.

Old 02-07-2004, 07:08 AM   #6

a bear HB User

what i started doing last year was making my own meal replacement/gainer shakes using grinded oats as my carb source and egg protein powder for protein.

then add other things to suit my taste.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:43 AM   #7

Shane S HB User

That can be both better and cheaper, although less convenient. Some good ingredients are oats, bananas, peanutbutter, protein powder, milk, flax oil, cottage cheese, honey, glutamine, creatine, and dextrose (some of this stuff's much better suited to a pre/post-workout shake). Really pretty much anything can be added to it.

Closed Thread