It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Question Sodium in foods questions. How much is safe?

I may have just eaten my last bowl of chili today. A can containing two servings has 890mgs sodium per serv, or 1780 for two servings. I did some research on salt intake and they stated that 1,100-3,000mgs was average or safe. But my diet exceeds 2000 calories a day anyway. I also had a hamburger and fries for lunch. OUCH!

I usually try to watch what I eat and am better than I used to be. Besides being a little extra thirsty tonight I really don't have any reason to get worried about anything, right? I mean I have been there way too many times to count. Of course age comes into play at some point. But anyway, will drinking more water help alleviate it fom my body at a faster rate? Does anyone know more about this? Thanks for the advice. MV

Last edited by Mission_Void; 02-06-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:02 PM   #2

scribbles HB User
Re: Sodium in foods questions. How much is safe?

Sodium is essential to life. The American Heart Association recommends that daily sodium intake be 2400 mg or less (about a teaspoon). The American Society of Hypertension says that 1500 mg can not only lower high blood pressure but reduce dependence on hypertension drugs. The ranges vary, like you found, depending on who you listen to... but people with heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, and/or excess weight should generally watch their upper limit.

If you have too much sodium circulating in your blood, your kidneys will either:
1) filter out the excess in your urine, or
2) retain water so you can dilute the concentration of sodium.

Healthy kidneys are good at filtering extra water and waste from your blood, but damaged kidneys may not be so efficient. So then your kidneys will go for option #2. But this water retention may then lead to an increase in blood pressure and put extra strain on your heart since it has to work harder to pump this increased volume of blood through your blood vessels. (It's possible that a stroke may even occur)

And thus, the harmful cycle begins where the high blood pressure can cause more kidney damage, rendering them even more inefficient at filtering the blood of sodium (not to mention the other functions of the kidney). So then you will retain even more water to try to dilute the sodium concentration...

Also, the extra water and sodium could leave your blood and pool in your tissues, causing that area of your body to swell.

So, depending on the health of your kidneys, and if you have heart disease or hypertension, etc., purposely drinking more water when your salt intake is high may not be a good idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Mara

Talking Re: Sodium in foods questions. How much is safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Void
I may have just eaten my last bowl of chili today. A can containing two servings has 890mgs sodium per serve, or 1780 for two servings. I did some research on salt intake and they stated that 1,100-3,000mgs was average or safe. But my diet exceeds 2000 calories a day anyway. I also had a hamburger and fries for lunch. OUCH!

I usually try to watch what I eat and am better than I used to be. Besides being a little extra thirsty tonight I really don't have any reason to get worried about anything, right? I mean I have been there way too many times to count. Of course age comes into play at some point. But anyway, will drinking more water help alleviate it from my body at a faster rate? Does anyone know more about this? Thanks for the advice. MV

I use a salt substitute which is okay, avoid canned goods, steam fresh veggies, home made broths (in ice cube trays), use fresh veggie peel to make broth and filtered water-simmer...the peal of whatever veggy's your working with, carrot, cob of corn, potato, zuccini etc) I am now hungry lol. I like chili too

How the body uses sodium and excretes it is an involved process. I think you would be better off cutting back on the salt/sodium intake rather than taxing your body to rid it, but that's just my opinion. That is what I have been doing. I'm sure others can describe the process better then I.
I use many spices & citrus when cooking or baking to add flavor so I won't miss the salt. It naturally occurs in fresh veggies etc, so I'm sure I get the RDA...Bite the bullet and avoid too much of a good thing

Quick recipe-chili
~ ev. olive oil
(2) green bell pepper - cut coarse
(1) red bell pepper (optional)
(2) chili pepper (less the seeds) - cut fine
(~1-1/2 lbs.) ground beef; browned - drain
1-1/2 - 2 Tbsp. hot sauce (depending on the heat you like)
(1)28 oz. crushed tomato or fresh (w/dash of sugar & dash of salt sub.)
(1)28 oz. tomato puree
4-5 lrg. clove garlic - coarsely chop
(1 lrg) white onion - coarsely chop
dry - dark and light kidney beans - re-hydrated
~1 tsp. chili spice
~1/4 tsp. of pepper flakes
dash-dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
~1/2 cup of fresh brewed coffee (optional)

Add ev.oo w/tomato, rinsed beans & spices to stew pot or crock pot
Brown beef - set aside
Sweat veggies in the beef pan with the juice reserves & make sure they are still firm & add garlic & pepper flakes towards finish then add to mix
Stovetop - low heat & simmer-partially covered and stir occasionally for about a half hour or so. If you want it thicker-add tomato paste.

*This can go into the crock raw but will need several hours...How easy is that
Time for a nap. I'm feeling old lol...

Last edited by Gemi; 02-10-2004 at 02:47 PM.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #4
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Post Re: Sodium in foods questions. How much is safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles
Sodium is essential to life. The American Heart Association recommends that daily sodium intake be 2400 mg or less (about a teaspoon). The American Society of Hypertension says that 1500 mg can not only lower high blood pressure but reduce dependence on hypertension drugs. The ranges vary, like you found, depending on who you listen to... but people with heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, and/or excess weight should generally watch their upper limit.

If you have too much sodium circulating in your blood, your kidneys will either:
1) filter out the excess in your urine, or
2) retain water so you can dilute the concentration of sodium.

Healthy kidneys are good at filtering extra water and waste from your blood, but damaged kidneys may not be so efficient. So then your kidneys will go for option #2. But this water retention may then lead to an increase in blood pressure and put extra strain on your heart since it has to work harder to pump this increased volume of blood through your blood vessels. (It's possible that a stroke may even occur)

And thus, the harmful cycle begins where the high blood pressure can cause more kidney damage, rendering them even more inefficient at filtering the blood of sodium (not to mention the other functions of the kidney). So then you will retain even more water to try to dilute the sodium concentration...

Also, the extra water and sodium could leave your blood and pool in your tissues, causing that area of your body to swell.

So, depending on the health of your kidneys, and if you have heart disease or hypertension, etc., purposely drinking more water when your salt intake is high may not be a good idea.
scribbles. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I actually forgot I posted here until I got another notice from the other poster by email notification. Well, I guess Im ok. Still alive. No, I don't tend to retain water like some people do. But I hope my kidneys are in good shape. Ok as far as I know. Today at the store I bought another can of chili. It was on sale. Is that ok for an excuse? I thank you for your response. Will take all into consideration. But when? Sometimes I get carried away. MV

Old 02-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi
I use a salt substitute which is okay, avoid canned goods, steam fresh veggies, home made broths (in ice cube trays), use fresh veggie peel to make broth and filtered water-simmer...the peal of whatever veggy's your working with, carrot, cob of corn, potato, zuccini etc) I am now hungry lol. I like chili too

How the body uses sodium and excretes it is an involved process. I think you would be better off cutting back on the salt/sodium intake rather than taxing your body to rid it, but that's just my opinion. That is what I have been doing. I'm sure others can describe the process better then I.
I use many spices & citrus when cooking or baking to add flavor so I won't miss the salt. It naturally occurs in fresh veggies etc, so I'm sure I get the RDA...Bite the bullet and avoid too much of a good thing

Quick recipe-chili
~ ev. olive oil
(2) green bell pepper - cut coarse
(1) red bell pepper (optional)
(2) chili pepper (less the seeds) - cut fine
(~1-1/2 lbs.) ground beef; browned - drain
1-1/2 - 2 Tbsp. hot sauce (depending on the heat you like)
(1)28 oz. crushed tomato or fresh (w/dash of sugar & dash of salt sub.)
(1)28 oz. tomato puree
4-5 lrg. clove garlic - coarsely chop
(1 lrg) white onion - coarsely chop
dry - dark and light kidney beans - re-hydrated
~1 tsp. chili spice
~1/4 tsp. of pepper flakes
dash-dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
~1/2 cup of fresh brewed coffee (optional)

Add ev.oo w/tomato, rinsed beans & spices to stew pot or crock pot
Brown beef - set aside
Sweat veggies in the beef pan with the juice reserves & make sure they are still firm & add garlic & pepper flakes towards finish then add to mix
Stovetop - low heat & simmer-partially covered and stir occasionally for about a half hour or so. If you want it thicker-add tomato paste.

*This can go into the crock raw but will need several hours...How easy is that
Time for a nap. I'm feeling old lol...
Gemi, you sound like a real chef and a good one at that. Wow! You must be in great health. I'm a bachelor ( do they still use that term?) anyway my meals are basically easy to fix. I ususally eat a banana in the morning. Sometimes oatmeal. I go out for lunch. Hm! Not Yum! I can hear you. Fast food for lunch. A variety really. Sometimes good, others not so good. For dinner I usually eat a can of tuna, chicken, or salmon. For a vegetable I open up a can of ( it ranges widely). I have tried no salt foods and can't go that route as yet. Whew! Need my daily salt. . I DO however have some low sodium salt up in my cabinet. Maybe one of these days I will keep track of all nutrients for curiosity and health sake. Thank you for the recipe. Will print that out and give it to my mother since she likes to cook so much. Thanks again. MV

Last edited by Mission_Void; 02-10-2004 at 03:45 PM.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
Mara

Re: Sodium in foods and fast & simple cooking

lol Your welcome. I will be forever working towards feeling better and good health...Hit bumps in the road and fill the potholes...I enjoy cooking so don't consider it work. I still yield to a weakness for a chewy cookie-yada-yada! How else am I going to reward myself

Since you are on the fly It's understandable-your not wanting to go the no salt route, they don't have much flavor and may as well eat cardboard with a side of dishwater...

It sounds like you are eating well except for the canned veggies...Would it kill ya to try fresh or go frozen & steam? I know-your on the fly, butperhaps while you prepare the fish, you could boil water, cradle a colander over it so the base just touches the water, cover & steam? Or put them in the same pan your cooking with? How about a fresh salad on the side? Nothing to prepare there...w/a pre-washed-mix with balsamic vinegar & ev.oo on the side?

Ps; Have you considered crock pot cooking? They are fast and easy.
Jambalaya might be a dish you would like. I'll stop this instant! Take Care

Last edited by Gemi; 02-11-2004 at 01:48 PM.

Old 02-11-2004, 03:39 PM   #7
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Post Re: Sodium in foods and fast & simple cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi
lol Your welcome. I will be forever working towards feeling better and good health...Hit bumps in the road and fill the potholes...I enjoy cooking so don't consider it work. I still yield to a weakness for a chewy cookie-yada-yada! How else am I going to reward myself

Since you are on the fly It's understandable-your not wanting to go the no salt route, they don't have much flavor and may as well eat cardboard with a side of dishwater...

It sounds like you are eating well except for the canned veggies...Would it kill ya to try fresh or go frozen & steam? I know-your on the fly, butperhaps while you prepare the fish, you could boil water, cradle a colander over it so the base just touches the water, cover & steam? Or put them in the same pan your cooking with? How about a fresh salad on the side? Nothing to prepare there...w/a pre-washed-mix with balsamic vinegar & ev.oo on the side?

Ps; Have you considered crock pot cooking? They are fast and easy.
Jambalaya might be a dish you would like. I'll stop this instant! Take Care
Actually I did try a can of "no salt" soup and was grossed out. And so I added regular table salt, but that didn't even help. Blah! Yeh, cardboard is a good description. Must have something to do with the whole process start to finish.

Gemi, I sometimes get away from things I used to eat. I just recently got away from eating a bowl of salad everyday. And it was good and easy to fix too. I would put carrots, tomatos, and sometimes add sunflower seeds for starters and eat that before my main courses. I will probably get back to it soon. Sometimes I get lazy. Partly due to depression and things.

My mother used to use a crock pot. Yes indeed she made some good meals that way. I am slowly coming around I guess. I say slowly. Just a couple years ago I would eat those processed frozen food dinners and what not. But they can be so expensive and not the most healthy. So I slowly went to buying cans of goods and eating salads which I need to get back onto. I know fresh is the way to go and you can cook a lot of veggies in the microwave.

I have microwaved brocolli, carrots, and potatos. Maybe I need a cookbook. lol. Is that pitiful or what? I can always ask my mom for cooking tips. What I really need is a nice wife. Someone that likes to cook. And I might even help. I believe in a 50-50 partnership. Getting married would surley change me for the better I know that. Long story.

What do you mean by ev.oo on the side? Sorry. I don't think I've heard of that put that way. Lingo? Thanks for your encouragement. Btw, I am taking vitimins to help out. That popular multi-vitimin, vitimin D w/ Calcium, extra vitimin C, and folic acid. And don't forget those chewy cookies-yada-yada! As you put it. Cheers! P.S. After eating out for lunch, I come home and eat a serving of raw baby carrots. And sometimes after dinner too. MV

Last edited by Mission_Void; 02-11-2004 at 03:53 PM.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #8
Mara

Post Re: Sodium in foods and fast & simple cooking

[SIZE=7][SIZE=7][QUOTE=Mission_Void]
I hear you MV. You know, slow is still better then stalled It sounds like you have come a long way and are on the right track. Stuff can throw my appetite off. Inspiration helps and cooking takes more if one is not inclined...Hey, if your mom isn't using the crock pot maybe you could borrow it from her & try it out? You can't go too wrong with one of them, they are very forgiving lol.
Cookbooks can be inspirational, thatís how I started. When younger I watched my mom in the kitchen & was her helper (or so I thought haha). My mom baked and dinners were standard issue, based on the four food groups & balanced for a family of six. When your feeding in numbers, roasts make sense and go further. She was not one to improvise in the kitchen, she always measured & followed a recipe, I donít recall a cake ever fallingÖI liked to try different things & had too, needed variety and to cook for one. It took a while. One of the first was acorn squash. That was easy, wash, split it in half, scoop out the seeds (can bake the seeds like pumpkin seeds and eat em, I do) add butter, salt pepper and garlic powder to taste and bake until tender. Whole butternut squash prepared the same way is great too. Yum-my!
In the beginning I didnít know what to do or where to start & found cooking for myself a bore & chore aside from not wanting to make a roast for one and left overs all week long. I remember preparing meals fed growing up & found recapture difficult-it probably was a comfort food thing. I made dinner for the family when my mom worked late so had to figure out what to do when I was on my own. My first meals were portioned for a small army and I recall asking myself, Who the heck am I cooking for? It took getting used to. I missed meal times together as a young family unit, even if everyone was going in different directions as we grew older. I never really adjusted to that & prefer family sit down dinners, none of this eating on the run businessÖit seems so disruptive & unritualistic. My mom took the phone off the hook, which was a great idea, no interruptions or indigestion so it was time everyone had to spend together lol.
Meal preparation when I started out on my own was and forever shall be utterly forgettable! lol At least I think so, I am my own critic. I didnít eat breakfast & started skipping meals, bad habit I got myself into. I picked up my cat from my moms because I needed a companion. That helped and the cat was happy too, she didnít have to compete with others for food. Anyway, I liked time alone but not eating alone. Try this, set your table for two, no matter if you will dine solo and use the best linen, china, candles, a fruit bowl, the works. Go through the motions and make the table beautiful, appetizing and a place you want to be, special and donít forget a centerpiece of some kind. Please don't laugh, you never know until you give it a shot. It could be anything that makes you feel good. Perhaps includeing something with red in it will stimulate the appetite. Prepare the table in anticipation of company and for yourself. I donít think people do enough of these types of things. Does not have to be huge change to make a difference. It puts a smile on my face when I do stuff like that. Holidays are a good time to change things around. I am my mothers daughter, she decorates for ALL occasions. She has plate sets for every change. Thatís a lot a plates lol She uses the entire attic to store decorative stuff. She always made a beautiful table and the colors just perk you right up. When I walk into the kitchen in the summer, it screams the tropics lol. She puts up lights and everything is color coordinated. Itís quite an event. She sends out invitations for Christmas. It is a delightful display of Martha Stuart gone mad! Ah, gotta love herÖMy dad is a lucky man. Anyhows!
I eventually matured, itís an evolution. In my mid 20ís I reflected how my mom was already a mother at that age and so onÖI was doing things she did but without an extended family. I remember a number of years ago the decision to bake like my mom did. I went through a cookbook and made a list of commonly used ingredients and picked them up. I was ready and excited to begin. It happened one day during the holidays season, that year I had everything and was going to bake Christmas cookies and did so. When finished, I gazed over the countertop at the success of all I baked smiling and then slowly the smile left my face. I had not thought of what to do with them. It was just something that seemed natural to do. I made the connection that this is the age I would be doing this with and for children of my own. Thatís a big thought. Itís what my mom did at that ageÖ A flashback to childhood when I helped my mom bake as a child, mixing the batter, when done licking the spoon, the aroma throughout the house of the baking, the shared experience, the warmth, the whole bit, then to suddenly snap out of it back into reality was quite stunning. I remember the sadness that came over me once again & especially as I closed the tin lid, the act of closing the lid was symbolic. The specially bought tins stayed on the counter waiting. It was too painful and was the last time I baked like that for a number of years. Itís in the sharing and giving and always has been for me.
It seems unnatural & out of sync to live a different life then the one I thought I may one day have. Having love to give is not enough. Being strong enough physically to meet those demands is necessary. I have a sister in law that is so strong & capable, I am in awe and amazed at her energy and physical health and she has two gorgeous children. Some people are built strong. Resisting what is a normal human thing to do, raise a family & what have you is hard to do. When being young, getting married, having 1.5 kids, a dog, a house, a 9-5 job, come home, be with your family nurturing, raising them, watching it grow to become something more then a person could ever imagine, to wake up & do it all over again, through a selfless giving. People do it every day. It takes a lot of faith. Iím not the; should have, could have, would have type and donít believe in regret because it can rob you blind, canít live that way, wouldnít want too.
Every day wake up and live life. What can I do? What is the theory of relativity, for every action there is a reaction, what goes up must come down, the transfer of positive energy. Today I am going to reach and extend byÖToday I am going to smile more andÖToday I will open up, trust and have faithÖBy reaching out and extending itís drawn from within to get there, starts small and grows. The motive of giving can be the force that helps push us to reach out to another, friend, family, advascary. Some hold the door open, let you go ahead in line, give and in reciprocity. Reciprocity is important by not denying another the pleasure of giving. Some people keep track of the getting while others canít give enough. It takes all kinds. If everybody gave at the same time that would be a real comedy wouldnít it? No you first, no you go ahead, no you first and so on. I donít know if this is making sense to you MV, but hope so. I go through bouts of depression and know how hard it is to deal with. In a way, I think of it as the darkness of the night sky and hope is the stars in the sky, even if Iím not seeing it that way at the time. When I read some of the things I write when Iím feeling better I learn more about depression and mindset. Moving right alongÖ

I prefer a cookbook that includes a picture of the recipe dish. I'd start with simple and go from there. I keep favorite recipes organized in a three hole binder with ID tabs, labeled, parted & grouped; Soup & Salad; chowders-bisque-consume...Breads; soft pretzels, muffins, popovers...Poultry, Beef, Fish, you get me, it helps. When I find a really good recipe I rate & grade it, take notes & comment modify so I remember next time I make it. What is your favorite fresh herb? That can inspire dishes. Fresh basil is one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with an herb garden. Now that's aroma therapy!
...continued

Old 02-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #9
Mara

Re: Sodium in foods and fast & simple cooking

Section 2 of 2Öcontinued from section 1

Not all recipes are tested, so they can be risky. Iíve done that a few times and threw out the recipe so I would not make the mistake of doing that again. It's useful browsing through recipes, looking for spice variety & combinations, techniques, incorporation and so on. For example, it makes a difference if you let pancake batter stand for a few minutes after incorporation, it allows the batter to thicken or to know you can sour milk (buttermilk) by adding fresh lemon juice or a bit of vinegar...It really is a simple pleasure. Much can be said for gatherings around the dinner table. It's more then food, itís about the connection through it, good food & good conversation. What woman could resist a delicious home cooked dinner she did not prepare? It's a talent. Wow them with kitchen wonderment! As long as the Baked Alaska doesnít singe anyoneís eyebrows

When it comes to bakeware I think about the versatility, functionality and durability before making a purchase. It's a long term investment in something I'll use daily, that I want to last a lifetime, so it is worth spending more for something I won't have to replace due to inferior material or workmanship and so on. Why don't you check with your mom & see if she has doubles of anything she can give you in trade for a special dinner for her? Hey, donít knock it till you try it lol. Arranging the kitchen for efficiency helps too, if things are easy to access it makes a difference rather then sifting through what may look like a junk draw full of kitchen gadgets When the kitchen (like any other work station) is well organized & situated it makes much a difference.
Here's a kitchen tools & gadgets check list. Having the right tools can make the process a more enjoyable experience. I know you said you could ask your mother, but why not take the bull by the horns? I donít mean to be pushy, just trying to encourage something you may actually end up enjoying. Hey, youíll never know unless you try right? In any event, here it is.
Prep all work areas, surfaces, tools etc.
Wash hands thoroughly (can't do enough of that)
Tips-handle foods minimally & maintain freshness until needed
1-Use quality ingredients, 2-Proper ratios (critical in baking) Thatís why some cooks don't like to bake, they don't care to measure & level off
2-Learn incorporating techniques & terms (useful), 3-Attention to presentation, 4-Substitutions List (necessary) & Conversion Charts (helpful)
5-Kitchen tools & accessories...Timer (most important!) Measuring Spoons & Measuring Cup - Crock Pot - Roasting pan w/lid - Quality non-stick pan - 8"-10" Cast Iron pan (can go from range top into the oven) - Universal quality Knife (one that's comfortable in your hand, good wt & blade) - Cutting board (med. sized, with enough room to roll out dough) -Grater & Peeler (... & for zesting) - Mixing Bowls (varying in size)-Wooden Spoons - Spatula - Wisk - Soup Ladle - Carving Fork - Kitchen Mitts & Towels - Colander - Edged Cookie Sheet (I like aluminum, they don't rust & the cookies won't slide off the sheet, juice won't drip etc)-Rectangular Pan or Pyrex (layered dishes, bakes etc) - 8"-9" Square Pan or Pyrex (deserts, side-dish, etc) - Loaf Pan - Resealable Storage Containers (for flour, sugar...) - Muffin Tin (they vary in size, bite size, reg, jumbo) - You can use the rect. pan to bake the main course and the square for desert. - Rolling pin - Sifter (great to have, sifting dry ingredients when baking to airate) - Tinted bottle w/pouring spout to store the ďevooĒ-extra virgin olive oil etc. - I know this post goes off track but there should be something useful! Take Care, Gemi

Ps- ďevooĒ-extra virgin olive oil[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 02-20-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Thumbs up Re: Sodium in foods questions. How much is safe?

Gemi, Gemi, Gemi, you're an incredible human being. I printed out what you wrote in your last two posts to me. Actually it came to more than 3 pages. I can't write that much, but I told myself I would reply. How could I not? If I had a mate, maybe I wouldn't mind getting more involved. It's a psychological thing. I live alone and don't really have the energy or drive to go the whole 9 yards.

Let me say this. I enjoyed reading your posts. Some things you talked about reminded me of my mothers cooking. Like baking cakes and then getting to lick the bowl. I loved it. So did my older sister. Sometimes we faught about who's going to get the bowl. I was just a kid, but I learned to bake. Cookies, cakes, the good stuff, right? I even made other things by following her Betty Crocker cook book.

So............you say set a table for two and make it romantic. Hm! I would probably get upset that no one was sitting on the other side from me. No, but anyway I live in an apartment and believe it or not, I don't have a dining table. That's ok! Sometimes I just eat on the coffee table while sitting on the livingroom couch watching tv. And sometimes I'll bring a bowl of something to my bedroom where my pc is and surf the web.

Me too, I would rather look at the pictures than try to figure out how it's going to look after it's made. I can agree with having herbs to cook with. My mother surely does. I also tend to love spicy foods. Not real, real hot, but fairly warm is good. Do you like spicy foods? I like Indian food. It was great. Even the curry was tolerable. Two Indian friends of mine a long time ago took me to a buffet. I was surprised at how good everything was. Haven't had any since.

You mentioned something about pancakes. Are you talking about sourdough pancakes? Just by coincidence a very long time ago I accidently created my own sourdough pancakes. You can also buy these at the Original House Of Pancakes. I love them. My mother took me there a few times. But I made my own by accicdent at home one time. I don't remember if I used regular pancake mix or the buttermilk kind. But guess what? I made too much batter one time and put the leftover batter in a plastic container with lid in the refridgerator. Gemi, I don't know if I forgot about it or what, but maybe two days latter I noticed the lid on the pancake batter had popped up on one side. I picked it up and took the lid off and smelled of the batter to see if it was still good. OOOHHH! That's a GOOD OOOHHH!

It smelled just like real sourdough pancake batter. I got hungry and decided to try it. By the way, it was also bubbly and sort of thickened like it had yeast in it. I made those and ate them and they were teriffic. I was amazed that this happened. You might think just because they soured they would be bad, but nope. Very good. I made some latter too. But I haven't made pancakes like that in a long time. Do you know about this? Do you know if they may have been original or buttermilk? I would have thought buttermilk mix. Anyway I haven't tried since. If you have any ideas please let me know. Now I know there IS a real sour dough mix you can make using yeast and whatever. Let is sit up over night and so on. But mine were from the box. Just add egg? and water. That's it. Thank you Gemi. Now I know what eevo is. God bless you and hope to see more of you around. MV

Old 02-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #11
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: Sodium in foods questions. How much is safe?

Mission Void,

I too was GROSSED out last week by 2 "prepared food" choices. I had a can of Wolfgang Puck tortilla soup for lunch (15 ounces-2 servings, yaaah RIGHT?)....anyway the can was 2200 mg. of sodium and 300 calories. Dinner was a Hungry Man's Dinner (for about 600 calories)...BUT 1900 mg. sodium.
I'm a big guy and eat well over 2000 calories a day and can lose weight (and DO) on 2200...so the 900 calories yielding over 4 grams sodium was beyond the pale. TWICE the days upper limit of salt with HALF my food!

I'm a good cook and my prepared meals arre always low salt...but it gripes me that I can't have convenience in the 21st century without blowing my kidneys. I just don;t have the time to cook everything from scratch. That crap they sell as "low salt" is awful...and why it costs a PREMIUM PRICE to NOT put something in baffles (and angers) me! It seems geared to get to to eat the stuff with "some taste"

Anyhoo, with the OTHER items that day adding lesser but still way too much sodium I gained 5 pounds overnight....all water, but OHHH my BP spike was awful as well.

Yep, water is a diuretic....extra water will help blow the salt out. Be caureful to get potassium and magnesium if you go this route. I need to use a diuretic....or cut the salt!

My lesson: No more Wolfgang Puck!

ps....The safe minimum for sodium consumption for someone over 18 is quoted at 500 mg./day. In past times, far from the ocean, I'm sure many tribes survived on MUCH less. (Potassium safe minimum is 2000 mg.)

I've started calling the manufacturers with 800 numbers to complain about the dangerous levels of sodium in their products!

Last edited by zip2play; 02-21-2004 at 05:29 AM.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #12
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
Mission Void,

I too was GROSSED out last week by 2 "prepared food" choices. I had a can of Wolfgang Puck tortilla soup for lunch (15 ounces-2 servings, yaaah RIGHT?)....anyway the can was 2200 mg. of sodium and 300 calories. Dinner was a Hungry Man's Dinner (for about 600 calories)...BUT 1900 mg. sodium.
I'm a big guy and eat well over 2000 calories a day and can lose weight (and DO) on 2200...so the 900 calories yielding over 4 grams sodium was beyond the pale. TWICE the days upper limit of salt with HALF my food!

I'm a good cook and my prepared meals arre always low salt...but it gripes me that I can't have convenience in the 21st century without blowing my kidneys. I just don;t have the time to cook everything from scratch. That crap they sell as "low salt" is awful...and why it costs a PREMIUM PRICE to NOT put something in baffles (and angers) me! It seems geared to get to to eat the stuff with "some taste"

Anyhoo, with the OTHER items that day adding lesser but still way too much sodium I gained 5 pounds overnight....all water, but OHHH my BP spike was awful as well.

Yep, water is a diuretic....extra water will help blow the salt out. Be caureful to get potassium and magnesium if you go this route. I need to use a diuretic....or cut the salt!

My lesson: No more Wolfgang Puck!

ps....The safe minimum for sodium consumption for someone over 18 is quoted at 500 mg./day. In past times, far from the ocean, I'm sure many tribes survived on MUCH less. (Potassium safe minimum is 2000 mg.)
I've started calling the manufacturers with 800 numbers to complain about the dangerous levels of sodium in their products!
Zip2play, I agree with you about the sodium being way too high in some of those foods. Many people don't realize, keep up with it, or they don't care what it is. In this day and time maunufacturers need to come up with say a 50% less sodium than before product AND have it taste as good. And of course we (consumers) can buy salt that IS 50% less sodium than regular salt. And it tastes just fine too. Maybe more expensive, but I think we need a choice. By the way, put my name on that 800 number. Dangerous is not too far from the truth, maybe right on. Good luck with it. If you do this then let me know what they say. Lets get them on the spot. MV

Closed Thread