It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
flaxseed

Hi, my Dr told me to add flaxseed to my diet and I have heard you can grind it. Is the grinder specifically for Flaxseed or can you use it for more. Also where can you buy these grinders.
Thanks

Old 02-11-2004, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: flaxseed

A coffee grinder is probably what you are looking for. You can get one anyplace that sells small household appliances. You CAN use it for other things . . . but, if you are using it for coffee, I would get one that just does coffee . . . or if you are thinking of grinding anything that has a strong flavor (like some spices), wash it very thoroughly afterward. They are not all that expensive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 06:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I skipped the cost of the coffee grinder and time spent grinding altogether by buying flaxseed meal. I buy a small amount, store most of that in the freezer and keep a smaller amount in the refrigerator.
Originally I started using it for menopause symptoms.. turns out it is great at promoting regularity. Anyone on a diet plan that is low on fiber would benefit!

Old 02-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Thanks, unfortunately DH bought me a bag of the flaxseed(I would have bought the already ground stuff). Its easier
How long is the pre-ground stuff good for, I have heard it loses its value quite quickly.
Thanks

Old 02-12-2004, 05:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, I read that it is best to grind your own flax seed, because it has a very short shelf life once it's ground even if you store it in the fridge. It's also cheaper to grind your own. Yes, my coffie grinder works great with grinding up flax seed and the funny thing is that the grinder was really cheap. ($5.00 from Sears) Coffie grinders can run from $5.00 to $15.00. I have found the kitchen outlet stores to be the most expensive. Don't try a pepper mill, because I tried that before I got my grinder and it doesn't work.

May I be nosey? Why did your doctor tell you to add flax seed to your diet? I never heard of a doctor recommending it. I know it is supposed to be good for lowering high cholesterol and preventing colon cancer.

I like to eat the flax seed whole, so I am really bad...but it tastes so good on my garlic bread!

Old 02-12-2004, 06:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
. . . it is best to grind your own flax seed, because it has a very short shelf life once it's ground . . .
I agree and read that even the whole seeds ought to be stored in the fridge. Presumably they go rancid very quickly.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #7
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Hi, My Doctor actually recommended both flaxseed and fish oil. My good cholesterol is a little low. (I'm not up on the cholesterol lingo, so can't remember what exactly its called)
How do I know if the flaxseed has indeed gone rancid? I have a small bag of it but it would probably take me a long time to use it all.
Thanks

Old 02-12-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, It doesn't really go rancid. The oil dries up, which is what you are after. This type of oil raises your HDL, (the good cholesterol) which is what it sounds like your doctor is after. You can get the flax seed oil capsles too. My sister uses those. Another way to up the HDL is to eat oily fish like tuna and salmon. Then there's also almonds,walnuts, and olive oil.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

The problem really is the ALA rich Omega 3 oils in flaxseed that go rancid- they are VERY fragile and react with oxygen in the air quickly at room temperature. I found that rancidity can be almost STOPPED by grinding the seeds as soon as you buy them and storing in a glass container in the FREEZER.

I mix psyllium and ground flax seed into Citrus Light (or the cheaper stuff) with a hand mixer. I am looking for the fiber for colon health and any cholesterol that can be grabbed along the way, so much the better.
I wish the flax weren't so bitter...I'd add it to pancake flour but alas, the pancakes aren't very good.

I try to take my cod liver oil with it to balance the excess Omega-3's of the flax with the excess Omega-6's of the fish oil and the canola for the rest of my cooking and my "butter" substitute: Smart Beat.

My health food store sells the flax for $.99/lb...a lot cheaper than the psyllium.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Flax seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides (so do sweet potatoes, lima beans, other foods) which can metabolize into a chemical that, over time, can inhibit the thyroid's ability to uptake iodine.
Two easy solutions to avoiding this: limit your intake of flax seeds to 3-4 tablespoons per day
OR
toast your flaxseeds (which deactivates the cg without destroying the nifty omega 3s with which flax is loaded. Spread the flaxseeds on a baking sheet and place in 250 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Then grind 'em in your nifty coffee grinder for 4-5 pulses (should be sawdust consistency). YUMMY!!

Old 02-22-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Great information, I'm going to try toasting it. I bought the coffee grinder and it does turn it into sawdust I find the whole seeds a bit hard to chew, so I do prefer the sawdust. I added it to my oatmeal one morning but I do not eat oatmeal every morning. What do you all mix your flaxseed with? I don't eat a lot of cereal.

Also I only used 1 tbsp. Should I be using more-yet what is too much?

Thanks
Abbygirl

Old 02-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #12
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
Great information, I'm going to try toasting it. I bought the coffee grinder and it does turn it into sawdust I find the whole seeds a bit hard to chew, so I do prefer the sawdust. I added it to my oatmeal one morning but I do not eat oatmeal every morning. What do you all mix your flaxseed with? I don't eat a lot of cereal.

Also I only used 1 tbsp. Should I be using more-yet what is too much?

Thanks
Abbygirl
I use 3-4 tbsp per day. Some folks I know put several tablespoons in a bowl, pour hot water over 'em and eat like hot cereal. Whatever appeals to ya, I guess! I sprinkle flax seeds over my salads, my eggs, etc. Most often, though, I make flax seed crackers. YUMMY!!

Old 03-01-2004, 12:00 PM   #13
Inactive

healthy4me HB User

Why grind? Not interested in the liquid form of Flaxseed? Is there an advantage to grinding, i've been using a liquid form that is already bottled, and i just pore it in with salad dressings, and over other things...
it doesn't taste bad...
Just curious to the advantages of grinding..
Michelle

Old 03-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy4me
Why grind? Not interested in the liquid form of Flaxseed? Is there an advantage to grinding, i've been using a liquid form that is already bottled, and i just pore it in with salad dressings, and over other things...
it doesn't taste bad...
Just curious to the advantages of grinding..
Michelle
Flaxseed oil goes rancid quickly so you have to either buy a small quanity or talk others into sharing it with you, YUK

I did grind but that was pretty dry. I am not sure if there is a yummy way to get it into your diet. I did see it in bread the other day. Maybe if I sneak it into a really fudgy brownie

Old 03-01-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I toast whole wheat bread, sprinkle the flaxseed meal liberally, and then spread with a thin layer of peanut butter.
Possibly a problem with some of the trendier diets, but it works for me!

Closed Thread