It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 10:03 PM   #1

AngelB24 HB User
Need more calories?

I just realized that on an average day I only consume around 8-900 calories, 1000 at the most.(Im about 107 pounds or so) Should I eat more calories even though I am not hungry for them so my body doesnt go into "starvation mode"?

Old 02-11-2004, 02:20 AM   #2

Shane S HB User
Re: Need more calories?

Yes, you should be getting a lot more calories than that. Don't be surprised if you gain weight when you do, though, both from the increase and a messed up metabolism. Granted, at 107 pounds, your metabolism may be good enough to handle it well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 05:29 PM   #3

alwaysgod2 HB User

I had the sameproblem to, and i increased my calories, but now i feel so fat because of the increase....

Old 02-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #4

Shane S HB User

That's part of the problem with excessively low calories. It slows your metabolism down, which is the absolutely last thing you want to do if you're trying to lose weight.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

Jogaholic HB User

Yes, you definately need to eat more calories throughout the day. Last year my body went into "starvation mode" because I was running so much that I was burning off way more calories than I was consumin during the day. This slows down your metabolism and makes your stomach smaller. This is the way to go if you need to lose weight of course, but at 107 pounds you do not need to lose any. Increase your calories with a lot of fruits, nuts, or make your own trailmix. Make sure you are getting enough calcium, protein, and fat. If not, this could lead to bone deterioration, oseteoporosis, and bad health. You may want to take a calcium supplement during the day, like Viactiv. Even if you don't feel hungry, you need to eat more than 1000 calories/day...you won't gain weight if you make healthy decisions. If you are very active, you need to eat around 2000 calories a day. It depends on your activity level though.

Old 04-16-2004, 02:56 AM   #6

Robert5705 HB User

The amount of calories you take in depends on how much you want to weigh. If your having problems taking in more calories try adding some glasses (2 cups or 16oz) of cran-apple juice this gives 320 calories a glass. Also doesnt make you feel full like it would eating a meal. Also spread out your meals into smaller portions 300-500 calories and eat 6 meals a day.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:07 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelB24
I just realized that on an average day I only consume around 8-900 calories, 1000 at the most.(Im about 107 pounds or so) Should I eat more calories even though I am not hungry for them so my body doesnt go into "starvation mode"?
Angel,
Have you counted EVERYTHING very precisely over a reasonable period of time. Most people who actually eat only 800-900 calories get VERY sick and worse after a couple months of this.
It's not "starvation mode," it's STARVATION!
At these levels your body will scavenge muscles, organs, and bones.
I've found that most people underestimate what they really eat unless everything is weighed and recorded immediatly upon eating.

A relliable chart I have says that an average women, age 18-35 will maintain at 99 pounds with 1700 calories; 110# at 1850.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:41 AM   #8

AngelB24 HB User

yes sadly enough I know for sure that is how much I was taking in. I soon figured out why I couldnt maintain weight I could only loose it. Now I am below my healthy weight so I am slowly trying to increase my calorie intake. i am also going to see a physician next week. Thanks for the input.

Closed Thread