It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User
Feeling Sleepy After Eating

This has happened several times and I can't define what it is. It must be a certain type of food or amount of it that does this. When I eat certain foods, I tend to get very sleepy. I mean that after 45 minutes to an hour after the meal I will suddenly feel a big drop in my energy level - its almost like I want to go to sleep.

This happened yesterday in fact. I had chinese food for dinner and later got really sleepy. it has happened before with chinese but also happens with certain other foods (I don't record what I ate when it happens). What causes this? I dont think it is the rice because I eat other types of rice and it does not happen. And my meal wasn't extra spicy either. I had like fried rice and beef with broccoli.

If I think real hard I think it happened once when I ate some sort of Mexican dish that had a lot of cheese.... but there was no cheese in the chinese!

I really wish i could identify what types of foods do this so i could avoid them.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
Re: Feeling Sleepy After Eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965_Bruce
This has happened several times and I can't define what it is. It must be a certain type of food or amount of it that does this. When I eat certain foods, I tend to get very sleepy. I mean that after 45 minutes to an hour after the meal I will suddenly feel a big drop in my energy level - its almost like I want to go to sleep.

This happened yesterday in fact. I had chinese food for dinner and later got really sleepy. it has happened before with chinese but also happens with certain other foods (I don't record what I ate when it happens). What causes this? I dont think it is the rice because I eat other types of rice and it does not happen. And my meal wasn't extra spicy either. I had like fried rice and beef with broccoli.

If I think real hard I think it happened once when I ate some sort of Mexican dish that had a lot of cheese.... but there was no cheese in the chinese!

I really wish i could identify what types of foods do this so i could avoid them.
I'm no expert, but the things I've heard that cause this ( I get it too, sometimes) are first of all insulin over-reaction. Insulin is secreted in direct response to how much sugar and simple carbs are in the meal. High glycemic foods, in other words.

Second, insulin is released in response to stomach distention, so a large meal, no matter what its constituents, is more likely to produce this than a small one. Another reason to try the small, frequent meals rather than two or three meals a day of larger size.

Next, and totally unrelated, mono sodium glutamate--(msg, brand name Accent)--often has this or similar effects. Chinese food is famous for this, and many of us order our chinese foods with NO MSG, Please as a result. Haven't heard of any such link to Mexican food, but crappy chegs use it all the time in all kinds of things to make up for insufficient flavor.

Hope this helps.

sean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

Ah, so maybe they have a LOT of sugar in maybe the sauce? I could agree that some places sugar it up as a way of improving the weak flavor. Just one way that restaurants are a major contributor to this country's diet-related health problems, but that's for another thread I dont think it was the large size of the meal although i did feel full and ended up not finishing all of it. But the mexican meal was not that big. I dont know, its just a wierd feeling being that sleepy.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, I think it just a large meal/over eating. A lot of times just the feeling of being full or over full can make people feel sleepy. I agree with eating smaller portions. Also, getting into exercise will prevent feeling sleepy after meals. As far as the MSG in Chinese food, it can make you really thirsty. There is something that both Chinese restaurant food and Mexican restaurant food have in common...It's fat. They are both loaded with fat, that's one of the reasons they taste so good. The Cheese has lots of fat and the oil in the Chinese food has lots of fat. A little while back the news media mentioned about how much fat was in take out foods and Chinese food was among the highest for fat content. It's all together different than the traditional, home cooked, Chinese dinner. If you think it might be the carbs instead, then see if you feel sleepy when you eat plain rice at home. Turkey, on the other hand, does contain a natural sleep aid in it.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

I do not feel sleepy when eating rice at home. Quite delicious in fact. So you think that a high-fat meal can produce sleepiness? I guess a high-fat meal would also make me feel full faster, no?

Old 02-13-2004, 06:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, Yep, it does for me. I can always tell when I've had more fat than I should...I get sleepy and lazy. The same thing happens to my coworker's father. Balance is everything for my body. Thanks for reminding me. I really have been eating too much fat lately, which explains why I haven't been interested in exercise like I usually am. Here I thought it was the cat. She's just so cute, that it's really hard not to sit down on these cold winter nights with her curled up on my lap. Yep, I've got to lay off my mother-in-law's cooking, the fast food junk, the evil hot dogs, girl scout cookies, and my son's left-overs. (Talk about eating a lot of junk!) Dig out that wonderful seafood and vegies. Guess I'm having a baked potato with sauteed peppers and onions seasoned with curry, a really nice green salad, and a tangerine tonight.

Another thing that can cause sleepiness is a lack of the B vitamins. Especially B-12.

Old 02-13-2004, 04:26 PM   #7

Sweetea HB User

1965 BRUCE: I think what is making you sleepy is the chemical often put into spicy foods and Chinese foods and many others.

This chemical is called:
Monosodium Glutemate
or A.K.A
MSG.

I try to avoid foods that include this, b/c not only does this make me sleepy but it also gives me a headache and makes me dehydrated.
If you go to Superstore, or any large grocery store like that you can actually find this chemical being sold there. I saw what it looks like for the first time a month ago or so. It's nasty stuff! It's white and looks like a preserver you might find in a packaged good such as in the boxes of shoes you buy at Wal-Mart. The preserver is found in a little white bag and says "DO NOT EAT" on it. Well, if you open that little white bag and look at what's inside you'll find little white crystals that look exactly like MSG. YUCK!! :P

Old 02-13-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

I just looked at their menu to see if it said "no msg" and it did not. There is another place in town that has a "diet" section of the menu that says no salt/msg/etc. I never stopped to think about that!

But there is no msg in the Mexican food, right? Well, maybe that was just a high fat content. But perhaps you are right, the chinese had msg in it!

Old 02-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
I just looked at their menu to see if it said "no msg" and it did not. There is another place in town that has a "diet" section of the menu that says no salt/msg/etc. I never stopped to think about that!

But there is no msg in the Mexican food, right? Well, maybe that was just a high fat content. But perhaps you are right, the chinese had msg in it!

Yes, there can surely be msg in mexican food. Fast food and chep food and bad food restaurants often use msg, or too much salt, or sugar where you didn't expect, or all the above to cover the lack of fresh ingredients and the lack of skilled chef-ery.

Many will tell you if you ask, though, as they don't want to be sued when someone's allergic reaction kicks in. So, ask. It's worth a shot.

Also good is simply don't go back to the same restaurant, or certianly don't order the same dish, again. See if that is maybe all it will take.

good luck

sean

Old 02-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #10
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

Well i will have to be more aware the next time it happens - more aware of what i ate and where so I can put the mystery together. Next time i want chinese though, i will try a different one.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, The trick to the Chinese restaurant and MSG is to not get anything that is made ahead like egg rollls, won tons, dumplings, and soups. It is already put in there and can't be taken out. Also stick to the clear sauces, because they do not contain soy sauce. The restaurants buy the soy sauce in big buckets, because it is cheaper. Soy sauces without MSG are too expensive. The only soy sauce with MSG that you will see in a Chinese restaurant is the soy sauce in the little take out packages, and it really does taste different than the one used in tradition and restaurant cooking. We buy our soy sauce at the Chinese grocer in jugs with the MSG, because we don't have any problems with it.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #12

genners HB User

There could be several reasons for your fatigue. Inadequate intake of carbohydrates could be one reason. You could also be consuming too few calories. The following is what I found on the Internet:

Meats that contain a lot of an amino acid called L-tryptophan (say: el-trip-teh-fan) like turkey. Amino acids are the "building blocks" for the proteins that make up our muscles and other important parts of our bodies.
When we eat foods that contain L-tryptophan, this amino acid travels in the blood from the digestive system and later enters the brain. The brain then changes the L-tryptophan into another chemical called serotonin (say: sare-uh-toh-nin). Serotonin calms us down and helps us sleep.

But scientists now know that L-tryptophan can really only make a person tired right away if it is eaten or taken by itself without any amino acids.
Carbs can also make you sleepy. Carbohydrates are found in starchy and sugar-containing foods like breads, yams, potatoes, pumpkin pie. Eating a big dinner can also cause sleepiness. It causes increased blood flow to the stomach (needed to help digest the meal) and less blood flow to the brain.

To avoid getting sleepy after eating:
Eat small, healthy meals (try to limit junk foods) throughout the day before you sit down for your big meal - don't starve yourself and then eat a lot
Have small portions of foods
Try not to take in too many carbohydrates.
Drink water and take breaks while you are eating to see how full you've become
Stop eating once you're full - there will always be leftovers
Finally, take a walk outside afterward to digest your meal. This will make you feel better than crashing on the couch.

Best of luck!

Genners

Quote:

Old 02-22-2004, 10:02 AM   #13
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
This has happened several times and I can't define what it is. It must be a certain type of food or amount of it that does this. When I eat certain foods, I tend to get very sleepy. I really wish i could identify what types of foods do this so i could avoid them.
In addition to the other great info you've been given so far, I'd like to add this: 60-80% of us are sensitive to one or more foods. Unlike true food allergies, food sensitivies can cause delayed reactions which make it difficult to identify the culprit food.
Some food sensitivity symptoms include: headache, coughing, blurred vision, indigestion, rashes, fatigue, joint swelling, mood swings
I agree completely that MSG may be the cause, since so many people seem to have a problem with it. However, it could just as easily be another food or food additive.
The most common triggers are dairy, yeast, wheat, sugar.
You might consider keeping a "dining out" food journal to help you pinpoint the culprit...some common link between the Chinese and Mexican dishes that you enjoy.

best wishes,

Closed Thread