It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #1

sidnee74 HB User
Blood type diet

What do you all think of this diet? I am looking for a nutrition plan that keeps me as healthy as possible. Losing weight is not an issue for me. I am currently on a diet that includes 60-90g protein daily, plenty of vegetables, fruits, and some nuts,butter,cheese, olive oil for fat. I eat no flour or sugar, wheat or hydrogenated oils. I drink only water and caffeine free herbal tea. The purpose of this plan is to treat my chemical imbalance that causes depression. It is working for me. I was curious about the blood-type diet, thought it might also be helpful, but it seems to contradict what I am doing now. Also read some negative reviews about it. Thanks for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #2

scribbles HB User
Re: Blood type diet

As far as I know, there hasn't been any compelling scientific data to back up any of the principles that the Blood Type diet is based on.

Preventing nutritional deficiencies can help with mood imbalances. Amino acids such as tyrosine and tryptophan (in eggs, yogurt, turkey, chicken, fish, peanut butter, nuts, milk) have been found to increase serotonin levels. As well, low levels of B-vitamins and folic acid have also been associated with depression. Avoiding caffeine and refined carbohydrates (like you are doing) can keep serotonin levels from large fluctuations.

That said, I would stick with the diet you are currently on -- what you described sounds healthy, contains a variety of food choices, is easy to carry out, and you say it's working for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I find it helpful to keep an eye on the blood type recommendations. I think it is a work in progress (which Dr. D'Adamo does also) and some important factors are not considered, but I my guess is that it will gain more acceptance as time and research goes on. It is such an all-encompassing plan that I don't think definitative "proof" will be coming in any of our lifetimes. Heck, look how long it is taking the experts to get just one matter - fat - straight.

Am I guessing right that you are type A and one of the issues is the amount of protein? You are not alone there . . . many type As question the low recommendations. And in terms of mood, I think a good amount of protein is absolutely necessary. Wheat can also throw off one's mood. So it sounds like you are already doing two major things that I have found helpful. Salmon is "beneficial" for everyone . . . and a good omega-3 supplement (from fish sources, NOT flaxseed or vegetable-based) has proven helpful in a couple of scientific studies.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:48 AM   #4

sidnee74 HB User

Thanks for your response. Yes, much of my question has to do with the protein because, as you say, it is essential to helping my mood. There are very few proteins that A's can have, so that is a concern to me. I was curious about this diet because if eating for your blood type has a major affect on your health, I would think that would also include mental health. The book "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross (this is the plan I follow for my depression) also mentions considering Dr. D'Adamo's ideas but not to take them "too literally". She suggests finding what works best for you and going with that. I also heard another advocate of the blood type diet say to go 80/20 - choose things for your type 80% of the time. That sounds fair to me and would allow me to include some of the foods I like (i.e. oranges, tomatoes) as well as more protein. Thanks again for your feedback.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

The blood type diet works because it advocates small portions of nutritious food, no junk food, and exercise. Beyond that, it's all speculation.

For example, the part about Type O people (like myself) tending to have excess stomach acid is true, but can you really extrapolate that into saying that NO Type O person should eat any citrus fruit?

Old 02-18-2004, 03:00 AM   #6

beebsqtip HB User

sidnee74,

I suffer from depression and anxiety. I noticed that the diet thing is working for you. What exact diet is that your on. I was thinking maybe the right diet will help. I noticed when i eat more proteins that this helps.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:55 AM   #7

sidnee74 HB User

The diet I follow (including natural supplements) is the one set forth by psychotherapist Julia Ross in her book "The Mood Cure". Basically the book encourages eating protein (60-90g daily), fruits, vegetables, natural fats only like butter, sour cream, cheese, and nuts that do not contain high amounts of omega-6 fat. You avoid flour, sugar, hydrogenated oils, caffeine, alcohol, wheat if it's a problem for you. I recommend you get the book and read it because it explains what the good foods do to help your moods and how the bad foods are detrimental. It also breaks down the different types of depression and how to treat each one so that you can get a plan that's tailored for your type of depression. I have been using the diet/supplementation since September and am thrilled with the results. Am I perfect? Unfortunately, no but there is a remarkable difference. Darn near where I was when on celexa minus the side effects.
Best,
Sidnee
P.S. I bought the book used online for about $10.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidnee74
I also heard another advocate of the blood type diet say to go 80/20 - choose things for your type 80% of the time.
Actually that figure (and even 70/30) have been thrown around on blood type e-lists and boards as being a good level of compliance for generally healthy people.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:08 AM   #9

Invincible HB User

Actually for Blood Group A ... you can eat plenty of protein in the form of Soya, nuts and and fish.

I am blood group 'O' which works quite well with the Atkins as it's a high protein low carb ...I do find if I eat Blood Group O I do loose weight quite quickly.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:02 AM   #10

sidnee74 HB User

You're right about the fish and nuts. Mozzarella cheese is ok too and poultry a few times a week. But I avoid soy because of the hormone-like properties (i'm not deficient so don't need the extra) and because of its adverse affects on mood.

It's interesting to hear from one who has tried it and found that it works. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Sorry not to be more specific; I meant mostly animal protein. (Though unless there has been a revision recently, Dr. D. was recommending type A keep the protein level down.)

I avoid soy, too. At one point I was eating a fair amount of it, and after a couple of months, it clearly was not agreeing with me. Others have talked about developing an allergy to it from eating too much, and that might have been what was happening. I went off it completely for a while, but now have tempeh a couple of times a week and miso.

Closed Thread